Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

How does Daredevil's Billy Club work?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kecorvallis
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: How does Daredevil's Billy Club work? Reply with quote

I was wondering about the specifics of Daredevil's Billy Club. It seems like it is more than just a Billy Club, and I was wondering what the specs were on it. What is it made of? How does it work? Are there variations?
Falloutboy
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was wondering this, it seems to bounce off of things, sometimes hitting more than one thing, right back into DD's hand?
Teklock
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suck at good explanations, but here's what I can tell you.

Basicly, it's weighted and balanced perfectly so that it can perfectly nail objects and effectively go in the direction that DD aims it for. It also probably helps that DD can aim is good enough to get it to hit at angles so it'll veer off in another direction.

Think of it as pool. You know how expert pool players can do trick shots by bouncing the balls into the sides at a certain direction and cause them to go toward whatever hole their aiming for? Same concept. If he bounces it directly off of something it'll come directly back toward him, if he hits it at a certain angle, it'll bounce off and go into another direction. If he's, say, in an alley-way or room, he can bounce it at an angle to where it'll hit one wall, then bounce off another wall or object and return to him. But yes, think of pool. I imagine he learned such presision from a certain blind pool shark that taught him how to hone his senses. XD

Er..as for the specifics of the club: The implement separates into two parts: The straight portion contains a metal shaft and can be used as a weighted fighting baton, while the other section incorporates a grappling hook and cable mechanism that Daredevil uses to traverse the city skyline.
emmie
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i don't know if i'll just add to your confusion on how it works, but in the special #1 (Gene Colan and Frank Giacoia) there's a blueprint for it, an explanation of how it works, this is what it says:

It can separate in the middle, there's a spring relese button which straightens the cane handle that's 'section A' of the divided cane and in 'section B' there's a release button to release the chord and if you press the button again the chord hooks to make a 'roof catching hook'. He sums it up by saying 'section A used for throwing, section B used for swinging'

Though if i remember rightly in one of the early issues, he also fitted the club with a little microphone, though i can't even remember why!
Hope this helped just even a little. x em
Dash
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reality, it doesn't work.

I mean come on, at one point they added "food capsules" to a good portion of the club.

But it goes to say, you basically have to be Daredevil to build it.
Knatty Dreadnok
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dash wrote:
In reality, it doesn't work.

Tell me about it. Some artist have been taking extreme liberties with that cable of his, exaggerating it to the point where it's like Spidey's web! I keep thinking how in the hell does he keep himself from getting tangled up in that thing when doing aerials and what not!?! BUT that being said I like it. It has similar qualities/characteristics to Cap's shield and Spidey's web-line without totally biting either.

Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit late, sorry =S
I think that since the 2nd volume, DD's club is not as the Gene Colan times. It can also be separated in two parts but those parts are joined with the cable so if DD throws one section, it continues joined with the otherone. The same when he swings above the city. Not as his first clubs where each part was used with a purpose independently of the other part.
But nowadays It seems that those two parts can be totally separated when DD fights so, there might be some mechanism to release the cable and free the clubs! Shocked
I think they need to create a mini-issue explaining briefly DD's powers and club! as in the old times! Very Happy

Separated

And time ago...
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been catching up on some Silver Age DD. What Matt does with the billy club in #4 is beyond belief yet supremely funny.

In dealing with the Purple Man, Matt hides a secret spy tape recorder in the handle, modifies the club to shoot out a roll of chemically-treated foil paper (to ensnare Killgrave and nullify his power) but most incredibly, takes the club, cracks it in half, and throws it as a boomerang to knock a gun out of a felon's hand!

Forget Cap's Shield, I want DD's Billy Club! Very Happy
thOmAsles
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2nd favorite character is daredevil with his weapon billy club.
ComicDude
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digodiego wrote:
A little bit late, sorry =S
I think that since the 2nd volume, DD's club is not as the Gene Colan times. It can also be separated in two parts but those parts are joined with the cable so if DD throws one section, it continues joined with the otherone. The same when he swings above the city. Not as his first clubs where each part was used with a purpose independently of the other part.
But nowadays It seems that those two parts can be totally separated when DD fights so, there might be some mechanism to release the cable and free the clubs! Shocked
I think they need to create a mini-issue explaining briefly DD's powers and club! as in the old times! Very Happy

Separated

And time ago...

I agree with you completely about making a mini-issue, that would be awesome and something that we can remember from the "olden" times Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: