Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions on the Zdarsky run?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brentdevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:01 pm    Post subject: Opinions on the Zdarsky run? Reply with quote

How is it? Best thing since sliced bread, or overhyped? It's certainly the most the book has been talked about in ages seemingly, there seems to be real heat around the back issue prices. I haven't read the book in a while but it would need to really knock my socks off to get back in, and not just be another run of the mill average.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's solid. I think Mark Waid's run unequivocally overhyped to the point it was mind numbing. I hadn't really enjoyed Daredevil much since Brubaker's first three or four arcs. Soule showed flashes but the run ended up being mediocre. Chip's run is frustrating because he seems to have a good grasp on Matt and was just knocking it out of the park for nearly twenty issue...then Matt went to prison, Elektra started pretending to be Daredevil and evin Reign happened. All dark spots in in the series in my opinion. I think the relaunch has been pretty average so I guess we'll see.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zdarsky's run is carried entirely on the shoulders of the art.
The overall writing is mediocre at best. Characters are written as being very dim, lacking any common sense. The story has little internal logic. All the best moments in his run are incredibly derivative of the Netflix show and of stories by vastly better writers, especially Frank Miller, who Zdarsky loves to "homage".

Matt's Catholicism is cranked up to an absurd level that makes Kevin Smith's Daredevil look like an atheist.

Zarsky likes to have characters monologue and preach about whatever hot-button social issue was trending the day he happened to write any particular issue. I say this as a bleeding heart liberal who agrees with Zdarsky's actual politics.

The good news is you don't need to know anything about Daredevil's history or past stories to enjoy Zdarksy's run, because he throws out all of it and completely reboots the character 20 issues in with the most idiot plotline ever introduced in the book. So it doesn't matter whether you've read the works of Miller, O'Neil, Kelly, Smith, Bendis, Brubaker, Waid, etc, because all those stories happened to a different Matt Murdock than the one currently appearing in Marvel Comics.

All that said, I appear to be in minority. His run is massively popular, though I suspect if it had been some c-list artist and not Checchetto as the main creator, most people would be signing a different tune. There are several issues with some very lackluster fill-in artists that really show the weakness in the writing. You may like it. I hope you do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: