Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel's Daredevil S1E13 Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Marvel's Daredevil S1E13 Discussion Reply with quote

Discussion for Marvel's Daredevil S1E13 (and any episodes previous).

Last edited by Kuljit Mithra on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Daredevil"

-Senator Cherryh?
-Hoffman still alive
-Maleev pic as paper cover
-sad to see Leland's fate
-surprised I don't hate the costume
-Fisk in jail, stares at white wall
-wow, did I really just watch 13 hours in a row?
-forgive all my point-form notes
-overall, thought it was great... not perfect, but this is certainly something I need to watch again and again
McFly
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually really loved it. cinematography and the cast ist stunningly perfect. the 13-hour-movie concept really was the perfect way to tell matts origin.

the costume falls in line with the MCU, although I dont think it is all that good. I want it to be actually RED. and of course should get the DD logo on it asap, just like the comics. but that seems to be quite hard to pull off, so for now I am fine with what we got. but thats something for season two, anyways.

I loved how elektra was name-dropped (we should do a seperate topic about all the easter eggs we caught). this seems like a setup for something they'd do in season 2 (and based on the critical response, you'd be a fool to think they wont fast track that now). probably again including a lot of flashbacks like in the episode with stick, which also teased a new villain at the end (was that kirigi and the hand? or stone? will we get some more ninja action in the defenders?). I'm also quite certain that we'll be seeing more of the gladiator, too.

my only real critique story-wise is the death of ben urich. he is so integral to the daredevil mythos (and was portrayed perfectly in this!), so I really hated to see him die so early. he will definitely be missed in further seasons.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun ending. Really a blast throughout. I'm glad they did it through a combination of Daredevil and the law. Made for a fun time. I just wish they didn't hold off on the suit all the way until there. I know that's being selfish, but I at least thought it would be at the beginning of the episode. I like it, but I also think I need a bit more time to get used to it. The fight at the end was good, but I felt like I spent more time trying to look at the suit than the fight. But it was a good tense fight where it wasn't clear who would win from the beginning.

Glad to see Nelson and Murdock back together at the end and Daredevil get a bit of redemption in the eyes of the city. Really, things are set up to go places (whenever that is).

Four and a Half Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, I give the series a B+.

The ending wasn't as satisfying as the rest of the episodes. I don't want to get into too much detail right now but I did feel Fisk escaping only to be caught again by DD was kind of unnecessary. I mean, they could have just had DD catch Fisk in the first place then to have him escape from custody and then have DD do it. The costume, what you could see of it in the dark, didn't really work for me, the black is really pointless.. But, whatever, it is what it is. Oh, and don't tell me DD will never be seen in the daylight. C'mon, that would be lame if he didn't operate anytime of the day. I guess I'll get into it in more detail as people start posting. Some quick observations.

--As I said before, Foggy finding out DD is Matt was very disappointing.

--Ben Urich's death was also not a great move. You're not Game of Thrones, DD writers. Having this reporter be named Ben Urich was really meaningless.

--the Elektra reference. Yeah, I just hope it's not next season. Bullseye would be cool, but please wait on Elektra.

--The Stick episode was really weak, IMO. Yes, it had some good flashbacks, but having Stick seek Matt to help him destroy the weapon, only to have Matt stop him, but then we find out Stick does it later off screen. Kind of pointless.

--Daredevil's senses could have been better dipicted on screen. There was a show called Alphas and the girl with supersenses had her senses depicted way better than this show. They did cool things like show the particles in the air she smells and things like that. Oh, and Matt's "world on fire" way of seeing was kind of crap, especially as visually depicted--which only happend once on the show.

--And, here we go again with the radar sense. The writers decide that Thor's hammer is fine (existing) but, DD's radar sense isn't. Instead, Matt's amplified remaining senses are solely what makes up his sight on the show. More like an enhanced proximity sense that Stick uses. As we all know, Matt's radar is actually it's own sense in the comic, as first depicted by Lee. And, as Miller once showed, Matt actually lost his radar and had to operate with only his senses. But, whatever, this is no biggie, as it is apparent that no one (movie/tv writers) cares to use the radar or actually know about it. But, whatever.

--the fight scenes were frickin' AMAZING. Really well choreographed. And, btw, Matt was a bad ass fighter. I was worried he'd be depicted as less, but they did DD's fighting ability justice.

Overall, the show was really good. I'll keep watching. Can't wait to hear other observations. I'll chime in as people post.
JoeWithoutFear
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply amazing. My only regret having spent 13 of the last 24 hours with this show is that I won't have new episodes to experience for quite a while! =)

The Bad==========
-Why kill Wesley?! He was the most captivating performance in the whole cast! His character was the best villain on the show!! I was kind of hoping that he was behind the poison drinks and that he was betraying Fisk after such a long time to make his own power play. Ah well. He will be missed.
-Killing Ben this early does seem like a waste. Ah well. He will be missed.
-Still not a huge fan of some of the more gruesome or brutal moments, but, I can deal with that for the sake of the remaining awesomeness.

The Good =========
-EVERYTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm blown away. I can't wait to find out when we'll see more of these characters' stories!!!!
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
--And, here we go again with the radar sense. The writers decide that Thor's hammer is fine (existing) but, DD's radar sense isn't. Instead, Matt's amplified remaining senses are solely what makes up his sight on the show. More like an enhanced proximity sense that Stick uses. As we all know, Matt's radar is actually it's own sense in the comic, as first depicted by Lee. And, as Miller once showed, Matt actually lost his radar and had to operate with only his senses. But, whatever, this is no biggie, as it is apparent that no one (movie/tv writers) cares to use the radar or actually know about it. But, whatever.

It's drawn directly from the comics. Specifically, Man Without Fear described it as a combination of his other senses and Brian Bendis took that idea and ran with it. Bendis deliberately used the phrase "Radar Senses" (plural) to illustrate that point. When Luke Cage asked Matt to use his radar senses, it was more his super hearing than anything else. I think, in interviews, Mark Waid also suggested the "combination of senses" theory was the right one (although I can't comment on whether his in-comic portrayal is the same). Granted, there are plenty of things in the comics that couldn't be done with just that - in those cases I tend to follow Denny O'Neil's description of "paranormal waves" that emit from his head. But when the comic is inconsistent, I think it's reasonable to choose which ideas to draw from. And drawing from Miller, Bendis, and Waid is a reasonable one.

Regarding the deaths - yeah it was shocking as a comics fan who wanted more story potential with them. But from a story perspective, I thought it worked. You don't need Game of Thrones for this. Most TV shows kill off at least one major character and other Netflix shows are certainly known for this. I'm saddened, but I'm not disappointed.

rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know what Bendis did. But prior to that Matt's radar was those "waves" emanating form his brain. Feel free to look up Lee's original. And, feel free to look up where Frank Miller had DD lose his radar, but his senses were still there. Feel free to look at the Marvel Universe handbook too before the year 2000 (not that I've read one post 2000). It was Bendis that changed that. And, I don't find it makes the character or the radar better. Look, it is what it is. And, if the radar is only his senses, it still would have been better if we actually got to see how Matt "sees", visually. But, whatever, I'm not saying the show sucks because of the change. Marvel has obviously adopted Bendis's (an overrated DD writer in retrospect) radar.

And, my point about Ben's death is that it wasn't shocking because it was obvious to me that KP would end up killing Ben. If any death was "surprising",it was that of Wesley. But, who cares about Wesley. He's was not a mainstay in the comics. Really good character and actor portrayal on the show, though.

Again, B+. Really good, considering the movie was an F.

Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention. This thing about Matt being some sort of playboy with the ladies is ridiculous, something Quesada even said he was. If Matt is anything, he is a serial long term dater. He's not Tony Stark. Yes, Matt is supposed to be some sort of really, even excessively , good looking guy, but the evidence is not there that he's a player. This is another change that happened under Quesada, the radar changing and the Matt is a hound thing.
Jack Battlin
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: This show is a dream come true Reply with quote

I have been reading DD comics religiously for 31 years. There are like 5-7 things I hold dear in my life and DD is one of them (my wife loves it when I say that...NOT).

After the debacle that was the Affleck movie, I dreamed that one day I/we would get a worth rendition of our beloved man in crimson. It finally happened and I for one could not be happier.

I have read a bunch of complaints about the suit, I get it but the suit is exactly what it needs to be. The man got the **** kicked out of him for 12 episodes...hell he was almost eviscerated. He needed more protection and the show made reference to that a few times. The suit gives him that protection while still looking great. I do prefer the cowl from the DD movie more as it is more expressive, but I dig the new one as well.

I am on my second viewing now and I think that I am enjoying it more than the first.
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anybody else notice the "Atreus Plastics" sign on the side of the truck when Fisk was swapping vehicles during his escape? That's the explosives company from V1 #184 and #185, the one that Glenn Industries made a backhand deal with and Heather goes to Foggy for help.

You can thank the Book Club for that one. I never would have noticed that if he hasn't re-read one of those issues in Child's Play recently.
mhs_111
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I just spent my weekend to watch all the episodes, again and again.
Do we really need to wait until 2016 for season 2?

I agree with Kuljit's list. If I might add:
1. I like the fight scenes, the bones crushing sound makes me cringing tho. Remind me of Breaking bad.

2. Another thing annoys me is, IMO, Fisk remind me of Jaden smith! Many forehead wrinkles and sad (confused ??) face.

3. Foggy is awkward and not fat enough, but is okay by the end of ep.9.

4. Overall 8/10 Very Happy Can't wait for season 2.

"...I don't have sixth sense
I just don't have the fifth."~Virge
DD'sbootyshorts
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben's death was disappointing. I really wanted him to stick around. One thing I was kind of wondering. They killed Leeland in the show but he made several references to having a son ( I don't think they gave him a name) but does anyone think that they are planning to make his son the owl? His son definitely has a reason to come to Hells Kitchen and get involved in the crime world.
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD'sbootyshorts wrote:
Ben's death was disappointing. I really wanted him to stick around. One thing I was kind of wondering. They killed Leeland in the show but he made several references to having a son ( I don't think they gave him a name) but does anyone think that they are planning to make his son the owl? His son definitely has a reason to come to Hells Kitchen and get involved in the crime world.

I'm pretty sure now that Leeland is dead, his son will be the Owl!! The fact that Ben is also dead really had me thinking why they did it.
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LightningandIce wrote:
Did anybody else notice the "Atreus Plastics" sign on the side of the truck when Fisk was swapping vehicles during his escape? That's the explosives company from V1 #184 and #185, the one that Glenn Industries made a backhand deal with and Heather goes to Foggy for help.

You can thank the Book Club for that one. I never would have noticed that if he hasn't re-read one of those issues in Child's Play recently.

Yay, my choice paid off. Of course, I completely missed it. That's a very subtle reference.

MarcWagz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they said his son was named Lee.

One of my criticisms was that there was no point of making Bob Gunton's character Leland Owlsley. The only purpose it filled was making it so that we could never have the Owl in the show. He basically just played a random criminal banker. His character could have just been a random new creation.

Hopefully "Lee Owlsley" is actually the Owl, but I don't know how they would explain his powers/mutations with no mutants in the MCU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: