Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

The Trailer is Finally Here...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: The Trailer is Finally Here... Reply with quote

and is AWESOME!

This has Miller and Bendis written all over it, even shades of Brubaker and Nocenti.

I think as DD fans, we can count ourselves very lucky.
Sparko
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks bloody amazing!
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look pretty cool. I watched it twice. Trying to get an idea of where the series will take the viewers. In the article that accompanies the trailer there is a pic of Karen Page, she looks pretty rough. So I assume they are skipping the naive Karen and head straight into the 'ways of the world' Karen. Something that did jump out to me. At some point, you hear a man's voice say "Don't say his name." Wasn't that a line from Karen in the Born Again story? Not sure if I'm reading too much into that or not.

I did like the overall feel of the trailer. Looked good, street level violence and a hero that gets beat up. Of course, a trailer is nothing more that a commercial to convince you to watch. I think that even if I wasn't a comic book reader, I'd give this series a go. So from that perspective, I think it's a hit. I just hope it lives up to my high expectations.
McFly
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved it, too.
was kinda hoping they'd ditch the religious crap a bit, but oh well.

I do love to see how some of those shots are composed. as a film student I tend to look out for those things. Fisk in front of that blank canvas is genius. as is matt lying on the wet concrete bleeding... that just screams daredevil to me. awesome.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!No sign of Mark Waid's DD!Trailer was awesome!I love the religious part of DD.
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is it guys!!! I still can't believe it!!!! Can i be more excited?? I doubt it!!!!
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
It does look pretty cool. I watched it twice. Trying to get an idea of where the series will take the viewers. In the article that accompanies the trailer there is a pic of Karen Page, she looks pretty rough. So I assume they are skipping the naive Karen and head straight into the 'ways of the world' Karen. Something that did jump out to me. At some point, you hear a man's voice say "Don't say his name." Wasn't that a line from Karen in the Born Again story? Not sure if I'm reading too much into that or not.

I remember "Don't think his name" said Ben Urich in Born Again. Could be what you're thinking of.

This is promising. Dark and gritty, yes, but that's a perfectly acceptable version of Daredevil. Definitely very much in the mold of BMB. Regarding the church stuff: my hope is it isn't a reoccurring feature, but I have no problem with it appearing. It was, imo, an addition by Kevin Smith, but I don't think it was an entirely crazy addition (and it was explained in-story as something motivated by the things going on in his life). But the scene itself does a good job of creating context for everything else - not only in the trailer but in the entire arc.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trailer was okay. But, I see some of the same movie pitfalls. The overblown Catholicism in regards to Matt's practice of it, which really only started with Kevin Smith and the awful Guardian Devil. And, while I understand the world of Daredevil is dark and gritty and violent, there is an over the top bruised and battered Matt. Look, I know Matt lives in a violent world, but please, let's not have a shower scene with Matt's body replete with scars and losing a tooth. I obviously will give the show a chance, but I hope it's better than the trailer.
McFly
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Regarding the church stuff: my hope is it isn't a reoccurring feature, but I have no problem with it appearing. It was, imo, an addition by Kevin Smith, but I don't think it was an entirely crazy addition (and it was explained in-story as something motivated by the things going on in his life). But the scene itself does a good job of creating context for everything else - not only in the trailer but in the entire arc.

I think this actually started with Frank Miller... Matts mother being a nun and all that christian symbolism in Born Again is really obvious. It works great there, since it defines so much of Matts mindset in that story. everything after that, especially Kevin Smiths stuff felt completely shallow in that regard. Its mostly used by writers just to tick off a box in the "how to write daredevil" manual. to me, Matt should know better and finally get rid of that crap. Marvel is so full of gods and devils and he already met so many of them. I just dont like it.. but that might be just me Confused
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
train wrote:
Wasn't that a line from Karen in the Born Again story? Not sure if I'm reading too much into that or not.

I remember "Don't think his name" said Ben Urich in Born Again. Could be what you're thinking of.

D'oh! You are right. I might lose my Daredevil card for messing that up.

As far as the whole Catholicism thing...yeah it was started by Miller and then Smith went headlong into it. The way I see it, it grounds the character. It makes him more human.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, McFly.

Obviously, Frank Miller introduced Sister Maggie as Matt's mom. But never did we have Matt being a practicing Catholic, going to confession, or even feeling the need to confess until the god awful Guardian Devil. The movie and this series seem to have the character revolve around this theme. And, that truly isn't classic Daredevil.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Matt's mom being a nun and Miller and Mazz using Christian images, etc (when creating the comic in real life) does not make the fictional character of Matt Murdock religious.

Trailer looks awesome though.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
Mike Murdock wrote:
train wrote:
Wasn't that a line from Karen in the Born Again story? Not sure if I'm reading too much into that or not.

D'oh! You are right. I might lose my Daredevil card for messing that up.

As far as the whole Catholicism thing...yeah it was started by Miller and then Smith went headlong into it. The way I see it, it grounds the character. It makes him more human.

Technically, Matt being Catholic predates Miller, but don't ask me to remember who the writer was (it was a very short-lived writer or one-off writer). Miller made his mom very Catholic (obviously) so Matt would presumably be Catholic too. Smith is the first to show him going to church, but, with the exception of the letter in the beginning, it was portrayed even then as something out of character.

That being said, I don't have a problem with him going to church in a moment of profound crisis of conscience. As long as every episode doesn't feature it, I'm fine with it happening in the show.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
MarcWagz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get why everyone must always say that daredevil is "a hero who gets beat up" or a "real street level hero"
or "he's not thor or Captain america"

I get that he isn't thor, but in the comics matt is more than enough to hold his own against captain america at least for a while.

And aside from that this trailer and the original movie made it seem like he has trouble fighting thugs.

How on earth is he even going to be any use to the Defenders (consisting of Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones) if he has trouble beating up a couple thugs?

And it looks like they are gimping his senses too.
In all of the interviews I haven't heard a thing about the radar sense even existing. Just that he has ""enhanced senses" and that in the show you will be able to see when he uses them.

Aside from those complaints the show looks good but I don't like how marvel thinks they have to make daredevil the company weenie.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Frank Miller himself had Matt going to a priest in Elektra Lives Again, which is an amazing book, long before Smith. Even though that story is out of continuity, I think Smith was drawing from the fact that however overt or not in the stories, Miller probably always imagined Matt as at least a lapsed practicing Catholic. Not to say Smith didn't absurdly dial it up to 11 and hit everyone over the head with it.

Like it or not the Catholicism isn't going anywhere. Even everyones golden boy Mark Waid had Matt talking about sins and answering to St. Peter when he admitted to being Daredevil.

And yeah, that trailer is amazing and if thats truly the tone the series will have, then it will be everything I want from a Daredevil series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: