Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Casting Thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daredevil20
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Casting Thoughts Reply with quote

They couldn't afford to have Arnold Schwarzenegger for Stick. There should be real martial artists in that role. I considered Chuck Norris for Stick in Elektra. David Carradine half a decade before he died in real life was considered by fans for Stick. Rosario Dawnson should played Misty Knight. They casted Elden Henson as Foggy Nelson and Charlie Cox as Daredevil. Vincent DiOnfrio is playing the Kingpin.

Jessica Simpson as Karen Page

Hugh Dancy as Zeb Killgrave/Purple Man

Stone Cold Steve Austin as Melvin Potter/Gladiator

Morena Baccarin as Elektra

Steven Seagal or Don “The Dragon” Wilson (played neon gang leader in Batman Forever that Dick Grayson took on before becoming Robin) as Stick

Donnie Yen as Jonin leader of the hand

Michael Chicklis as Stone

Judson Mills (played Ranger Francis Cage on Walker Texas Ranger) as Claw

Clarence Gilyard Junior (TV’s Walker Texas Ranger as Ranger James Trivette) as Shaft

Nelly the rap guy as Turk Barrett

Jason Statham as Bullseye

Donnie Yen as Jonin leader of the hand

Michael Chicklis as Stone

Judson Mills (played Ranger Francis Cage on Walker Texas Ranger) as Claw

Clarence Gilyard Junior (TV’s Walker Texas Ranger as Ranger James Trivette) as Shaft

Nelly the rap guy as Turk Barrett

Danielle Harris as Typhoid Mary

Jason Statham as Bullseye

Do any of you have thoughts on who should play Richard Fisk/The Rose, The Owl or Jester? I read all those issues of Daredevil. I don't have thoughts on who should play Jack Murdock or the Fixer.

I had the idea that in the MCU Matt Murdock lost his sight at 14 and when he was in college his father was killed for not throwing the fight. Daredevil chases the Fixer in the subway and the Fixer is hit by a train. Others in his gang are taken down all but Wilson Fisk.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with some of these choices:

Jessica Simpson is not a good enough actor to play Karen.

Likewise Steve Austin is not good enough to play Gladiator, Gladiator is more then just a brute, there has moments of mental anguish and vulnerability from Gladiator or the character doesn't work.

I also don't like your choices for Stick, with Stick I would put acting ability over martial arts training any day of the week, that is what stunt doubles are for. Seagel is way too out of shape to play Stick nowadays anyway.

I would also want Turk to be played by an actor with some comedic chops, not a rapper.

I actually do like Donnie Yen though, he was good in IP Man, if he was affordable I would cast him.

Now realistically Michael Chicklis is likely to much of a costly actor to play a minor character to play a minor character like Stone. If you want to do fantasy casting, be my guest, but in any realistic casting call, this likely would not be feasible.

I think it would be better if Netflix cast some competent TV actors to fill some of these roles, rather trying to fill every role with some big expensive name (especially if they can't act, like Steven Seagal, Jessica Simpson and Steve Austin). The other Netflix shows do this (House of Cards has two major stars and a bunch of unknowns, Orange is the New Black is mostly unknowns) and they work well.

Last edited by The Overlord on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
daredevil20
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don "The Dragon" Wilson appeared as himself on Walker Texas Ranger during the final season. He's perfect for Stick. Maybe Steven Seagal could lose weight. They can't afford Arnold Schwarzenegger on the television show. Who do you think should pay Stick? I was into action stars playing Stick. When I considered Chuck Norris for that role others were considering David Carradine for that role half a decade before he died.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daredevil20 wrote:
Don "The Dragon" Wilson appeared as himself on Walker Texas Ranger during the final season. He's perfect for Stick. Maybe Steven Seagal could lose weight. They can't afford Arnold Schwarzenegger on the television show. Who do you think should pay Stick? I was into action stars playing Stick. When I considered Chuck Norris for that role others were considering David Carradine for that role half a decade before he died.

Seagal has also been really phoning in his last couple of performances and could he lose enough weight by the time shooting is supposed to start?

I never seen Walker Texas Ranger and the role he played in Batman Forever was so minor, it would hard to judge his acting abilities on that role. So I ask you this, how good of an actor is Don Wilson?

Schwarzenegger would have been a bad choice for Stick, he is too bulky and Stick should not have a thick Austrian accent.

As for who I would cast as Stick, I'm not sure, I thought Terrance Stamp did an okay job, so I would have no problem with them hiring a good actor and use stunt doubles and other tricks for his martial arts scenes, rather then hiring a martial artist with dubious acting chops.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry dude, but I'm not a fan of any of these choices. Like Overlord said, many of your picks like Jessica Simpson don't have enough acting talent. Are you making your picks by looks alone?

Dancy is a good choice but I can't see him doing it alongside Hannibal.

The actors cast so far have a great catalogue of work, Cox in particular.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the casting of Deborah Ann Woll proves my point, this TV series will hire TV character actors over famous faces and will be better for it.

Woll may not be as famous as Jessica Simpson, but she is a better actor and thus a better choice.
MarcWagz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some awful taste in actors
daredevil20
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Fichtner for Stick. He's perfect. Don "The Dragon" Wilson was fighting with Sticks in his movies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: