Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Captain America Omnibus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Captain America Omnibus Reply with quote

Ok, I'm now officially hooked on Bru's work. What I've read of his work on Captain America is great. So I've been thinking about picking up the omnibus. While doing some research, I found a site claiming to sell at 50% cover price. I nearly fell for a scam on my last big purchase and am now a little leery of deals that sound too good.

Anybody ever heard of http://www.dcbservice.com/ ?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about that site.

I buy most of my hardcovers/tpb from visioncomix.com. They are very reliable, have great customer service and their prices are quite good, too. They're selling the omnibus for $55 plus free shipping (which is actually fairly fast).

Just my 2-cents.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard many good things about dcb in various forums. Never used them myself. I'm a local shop supporter. I'll be getting this Cap omnibus too. I only have the Civil War tie-ins to the present and I have been meaning to read the whole Winter Soldier thing. I'm looking forward to this.

Did anyone else get the thought that maybe Bru's DD work will get Omnibus treatment when he is 25 issues into his run? Maybe there is hope. I don't think we'll see a hc for his first 2 arcs, but just maybe after 4 arcs.

C.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used them for the first time about a month and a half ago and had no problems. I only ordered trades but their prices were very good and they arrived in less than a week. I plan on using them again. You should really enjoy the Cap Omni when it comes out, Bru's Cap is excellent.
Sandman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll be ordering from DCB this weekend. Half-price can't be beat!

As to supporting comic shops -I wish I were so lucky. The nearest shop is literally hours away. Hastings here in town has a comic rack that leaves a lot to be desired. They luckily carry DD on a monthly basis, but I never even saw an issue of Civil War. (not that i missed much.) There are moments that I do miss big city life . . .
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Captain America Omnibus Reply with quote

Sandman wrote:
Ok, I'm now officially hooked on Bru's work.

I became a big fan of Ed Bru after Sleeper, if you haven't read this then I cannot recommend it highly enough, it's neatly collected in 4 tpbs. There's also Gotham Central as well, the trades are finally coming out of this series so they are highly recommended too. Finally if you're not reading Criminal then the first trade is out and they are only 2 issues into the second arc (Lawless), the man is called Tracey and I wouldn't tell him its a girl's name! Finally Iron Fist is amazing, I wasn't sure if I wanted to get this or not, but started to read it and it is the best read of the year so far, amazing stuff.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must do as Privateer says. If you ever so slightly think you like Bru's work, then you must read Sleeper and Gotham Central. Surely, you are already reading Criminal.

To go a step further, I'd even look for Bru's Catwoman run. Amazing stuff! There is a 4-parter backup tale in Detective Comics where Bru writes and Cooke draws that sets up the Catwoman run that the same two collaborate on for the first arc.
Sandman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah -several good tips for other Brubaker titles.

I've read the Catwoman stuff and enjoyed that greatly. I've never read Gotham Central, however, despite all the praise I've heard for it. I'd have picked up the monthly issues of Criminal, but -once again- not having a local comic shop eliminates many comics from my hopeful list. ((I feel a rant coming on, better shift back on topic.)) The first tpb of Criminal is near the top of my wish list (along with some DD tpb from before I discovered it.)

I can't say I'd heard of the Privateer on any level -what's the basic rundown on the story?

I skipped Bru's X-Men work only because I got severely burned out on X Titles. And I must not be as much into mystical martial arts themes because, although I've read every issue so far I'm thinking of dropping Iron First. I haven't enjoyed it as much and being unfamiliar with Danny Rand's back-history there have been bits of the book that felt a bit unclear to me. (Who's this Steel Serpent guy? What's K'un L'un? What's with the crane women? -Too much time on wikipedia too make the story as enjoyable for me.)

As I said before, I started hearing good things about Cap and picked of half of the Winter Soldier story in tpb and then decided to start getting it monthly -As luck would have it, this was as issue 25 came out -I REALLY missed the boat on Cap. (hence all the talk about the omnibus)

Just looked back and realized I've rambled at length for too long. Off for now, but thanks again for all the tips folks!
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to second what Privateer said about Sleeper, wait, Clayton already did that, okay, I third? it. Definitely worth checking out.
Sandman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok -I have to admit my brain has been fried by all that has been going on here in the last week. I just looked back at what I wrote last time -duh---sorry --I saw the word Privateer w/ uppercase P and it became a story title instead of a person in my mind. Sorry for sounding like a dope in that message -maybe staying up til 4am to keep up with things really has to stop.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilan wrote:
I've got to second what Privateer said about Sleeper, wait, Clayton already did that, okay, I third? it. Definitely worth checking out.
Sean Phillips did a signing and drawing session at my LCS last October, it was amazing. I got personally signed Miss Misery & Holden Carver sketches, Gretchen is soooo beautiful on this little post-card sketch.

I was saying to Sean that Sleeper was amazing (its always hard not to sound like a Fan-boy, but I thought wtf!), he was really dismissive of the praise saying that it didn't sell well and that they had to fight to keep it to the end of the second season. He is an amazing artist, just drew everything from zombie Marvel or DC characters from memory (did Marvel Zombies artwork), contrast this to Michael Lark (who was amazing too) who had a portfolio of images that he would copy, he couldn't remember the drawings or characters like Sean Phillips.

He based visual impression of Leo in Criminal on himself, he looks just like him. I asked what he didn't like to draw, and he said cars. He was at a convention with some artist from a Transformers comic, said that it would have been his worst nightmare to draw cars and robots. Now if you look at the last issue of Criminal, it is full of cars and looks amazing, I think that Ed Bru makes a comment about this in the chat sections.
Anyway, Sleeper totally rocks, try Ebay for tpb's or Amazon, well worth it. I think that I want to re-read it again now!
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words: Gotham Central

It's pretty easy to jump on any of the first three trades. I recommend the 3rd. It'll give you a great feel for the title and it's an exceptional story!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: