Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Fantistic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (SPOILERS)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Fantistic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (SPOILERS) Reply with quote

As a huge fan of the Silver Surfer, I was kind of let down about this movie. I know this is a typical fanboy gripe, but if a filmmaker enjoys a character enough to feature him in a movie, than why would they change things about him.

According to the movie, the Silver Surfer becomes depowered if he is off his board. The only justification for this I can think of is because the writer couldn't figure out a way for the Fantistic Four to stop the Surfer without this newfound weakness. To me that's lazy writing. Wouldn't it be cooler if the Four had to work harder to stop the Surfer? In the comics he's never had to rely on his board as the source of his power, and to my mind the only being that has been able to keep him from his board was Lockjaw of the Inhumans.

Anyway, I thought the movie blew. The production looked cheap. They chose to surround their special effects in darkness, so you couldn't see anything. The Fantistic Four became extremely unlikeable because of their bickering. I say skip it.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I haven't seen this, yet. The previews look great but then again, I loved the previews for the first Fantastic Four movie and that one also turned out to be a letdown.
daredevilryan
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest i wasn't hugely happy with the original, but i think this movie is a big improvement! it is what a superhero movie should be:-

1. not too long (ala Spidey 3)
2. not too confusing with too many villians (ala Spidey 3)
3. it doesn't take the world of superheroes too seriously................... (Spiderman 3 anyone?!!)
4. it is a fun film!

its only 92 mins long but it is a good escape for that amount of time. i was almost wetting my pants in excitement about seeing Spiderman 3, but trust me this film is much better! as a marvel film, its prob one of the best!
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Surfer is depowered without his board??

Thanks for the tip.

I love SS. But, I'll skip this movie.

As I said before, if wanting strong writing is a "fanboy" complaint, then that's just a cop out for the creators. "What, you wanted real writing and effort on our part, to write/direct/produce an intelligent story?? C'mon its friggin' comic book material?? You want something profound, look some place else!"

You are absolutely right. The Surfer is depowred when separted from his board because it was easy to write it like this, and probably cheaper (ie. less special effects, less movie run time, etc. . .).

It will be cheaper for me to download the movie from the internet and watch it on my computer.

rgj
the truebeliever
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too thought this movie was a big improvement over the last. I was disappointed about the Silver Surfer surfboard thing but after a while I forgot about it and was swept away by the pure fun of this movie. The movie is a popcorn flick and nothing more. It's a good, fun 90 minutes. I recommend.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the truebeliever wrote:
The movie is a popcorn flick and nothing more.

Why not aim for something better than that? I think the Silver Surfer is a character that can go beyond popcorn. I'll admit I'm not a big Fantastic Four fan, but with the Surfer you can do better.
the truebeliever
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. Hopefully, if they put Black Panther or Namor in the third movie then it will be carried alot better.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the truebeliever wrote:
I know what you mean. Hopefully, if they put Black Panther or Namor in the third movie then it will be carried alot better.

I'll skip the third one.
the truebeliever
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. That's cool, too.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the movie was just okay. Although I liked the effects, for the most part, I agree that the film did not do the Surfer justice. I think it would have been great if they had showed Galactus. My biggest complaint, though, is the same that I had with the first movie, that is, the character of Dr. Doom. I believe that for the most part, it's great villains that make for great movies of this type. I don't know if it's the actor, or the way they wrote the character, but he just wasn't the intimidating Dr. Doom that I grew up with (and no, I'm not referring to any of my family members), who always gave me a rush when he went up against his nemesis, Reed. Was the movie Doc Doom based on Ultimate FF? I haven't read UFF so I don't know if the UFF Doom is as boring and mundane a villain as the the Von Doom in the movie. I liked it better than the 1st film, but for me that's not saying much.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it a while ago and didn't like it. On one hand I'm pretty biased against the FF (they suck....they just suck) and the Silver Surfer (people say he's a intergalactic being with a tragic story - I say he's on a surf board and is therefore ridiculous. his last name is "Rad"....as in "whoa, surfing is rad!"). Even if I wasn't I'm convinced it was a pretty bad movie.

The Invisible Woman/Girl/Whatever complaining about being a superhero was just ridiculous. "Why do we have to live like this?". Because you have super powers. That's why. Why doesn't anyone ever tell her this?

Not that that was the only plot hole. (SPOILERS). At one point Johnny gains the ability to switch powers with everyone. Later he loses it and everyone's like "yeah, awesome, it's gone". Why in the world were they happy about that? For one thing the ability to switch powers had absolutely no down side. Plus, it seemed to have a number of ridiculously huge up sides. Heck, the ability to occasionally switch powers with The Thing (and therefore let Ben be normal again from time to time) seems to be reason enough to try to hold onto the power switching ability. But no, the power goes away and everyone, including Ben, is like "yeah, we won!". Makes no sense.

The Surfer did look good. Mr. Fantastic? Less good. Really less good. He looked hand drawn at some points.

Just to go full circle: the Fantastic Four suck. Not only do they suck as a concept, they suck in terms of powers. Half the time they're chasing someone I couldn't help but think "well, what the hell are they going to do if they catch him?". Why does Mr. Fantastic even go on missions? He's obviously and painfully useless.

This is all clearly evidenced in the one scene where the FF try to confront the SS in London. Right off the bat a ferris wheel breaks and the FF have to use all their powers just to catch the thing. The whole scene, which starts, in theory, by being out them fighting the SS, becomes about saving the ferris wheel. After five minutes they do and everyone's like "yeah, we saved the ferris wheel". But that wasn't even the point. That was a crappy thing they were doing as a side project.

The next time they "face off" against the Surfer the whole thing is about them trying to set up little machines quickly. That doesn't take super powers. We could have all done it.

In the end, better than the first one but still crap.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: