Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Oh Marvel. So much head shaking.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hylozoii wrote:
I click on Joe Fridays for the new pictures. Enough of the Marvel bashing. Watchmen was boring British rhetoric. There I finally said it. Marvel is like NBC's Friends. Bad comedy but they give what customers want: fast-paced, fun, non-complex cliffhangers with good art. Sophistication? Not so much.

Geebus, Friends was an awful show but you couldn't argue the results.

I can't even imagine what you mean when you say "British rhetoric". Is there a certain kind of rhetoric that British people employ a lot? Is it British rhetoric because Alan Moore is British? Heck, how is it even rhetoric? Rhetoric, as I understand it, is the practice of using speech or language to hammer home a certain point or position. Watchmen is famously ambiguous. That is, it's not clear what the message of the piece is. I don't think something that ambiguous could possibly count as rhetoric.

As for your other point: man, you should read Nextwave. It is the definition of "fast-paced, fun, non-complex cliffhangers with good art". It is people getting kicked and things exploding and people posing in the street for no reason. Happily, the first trade is even called "This is What They Want". I assume "they" are people like you who like flashy pictures but don't know exactly what "rhetoric" means. So I'm sure you'd love it.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
I assume "they" are people like you who like flashy pictures but don't know exactly what "rhetoric" means.

Yeah. let's round up these people and shoot them in the head.

RHETORIC

a. The art or study of using language effectively and persuasively.
b. A treatise or book discussing this art.

2. Skill in using language effectively and persuasively.

a. A style of speaking or writing, especially the language of a particular subject: fiery political rhetoric.
b. Language that is elaborate, pretentious, insincere, or intellectually vacuous: His offers of compromise were mere rhetoric.

4. Verbal communication; discourse.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm safe, thanks to Francesco, because I now know what rhetoric means. I always had trouble with that word. And I didn't like Friends.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the later seasons sucked big time.

And indeed, everything is better if you add some dictionary into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: