Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

MSJ does it again again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: MSJ does it again again Reply with quote

OK. So I haven't seen Ghost Rider yet, and probably wont until its released in the UK or whatever, but forgeting about some crappy reviews and looking at what really counts, it looks like the guys gone and done it again

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/ghost%20rider%20sets%20box%20office%20on%20fire_1022588

I bet the guy looks at people slagging him off on the DD message board and crys himself to sleep. With tears of happiness.

All this from the guy who brought us the DD directors (un)cut
Hurrah!
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, who is this Jim Carey guy, anyway. Very Happy

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17331706/

Sticking at the top for a second week despite such a big draw as Carey is impressive. I'll be checking this out when it hits the UK in a week or two.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money is "what really counts"?

Errrrrrrrrrrrrr.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSJ is to Marvel what Joel Schumacher was to the Batman franchise.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:

Of course not. But people in the film industry seem to equate box office takings with 'success'. I mean, I don't work in the film industry or anything, but I've heard rumurs that actors, directors etc find work easier to come by in said industry when their 'box office draw' is higher. I mean, I'm not an insider or anything, but I've heard it rumoured that they have things like 'top 10 box office' charts and things. I mean, I've never been to Hollywood (hurray for...) or anything, but I've heard people throw parties and stuff to celebrate being at the top of said charts. I've heard it may even make the people who run the studios (of which I've never set foot in), you know, smile a bit, before they go off and hire the same actors and directors who did 'so well' the first time around.

It's all a rumour, though, I mean, I've never been to one of these parties or anything. I mean, for all I know, they might base their business decisions on things like rottentomotoes or an rgj poll.

hylozoii wrote:

What!!!? Great news! When does he get to do the second DD film? And keep that guy Gary Foster well away.
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Well, who is this Jim Carey guy, anyway. Very Happy

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17331706/

Sticking at the top for a second week despite such a big draw as Carey is impressive. I'll be checking this out when it hits the UK in a week or two.

Don't go see The Number 23. It's a huge joke. Probably one of Jim Carrey's best comedic performances to date.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you paid money and went to see this, yeah? Congrats on helping it get to No. 2.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
james castle wrote:

Of course not. But people in the film industry seem to equate box office takings with 'success'. I mean, I don't work in the film industry or anything, but I've heard rumurs that actors, directors etc find work easier to come by in said industry when their 'box office draw' is higher. I mean, I'm not an insider or anything, but I've heard it rumoured that they have things like 'top 10 box office' charts and things. I mean, I've never been to Hollywood (hurray for...) or anything, but I've heard people throw parties and stuff to celebrate being at the top of said charts. I've heard it may even make the people who run the studios (of which I've never set foot in), you know, smile a bit, before they go off and hire the same actors and directors who did 'so well' the first time around.

It's all a rumour, though, I mean, I've never been to one of these parties or anything. I mean, for all I know, they might base their business decisions on things like rottentomotoes or an rgj poll.

hylozoii wrote:

What!!!? Great news! When does he get to do the second DD film? And keep that guy Gary Foster well away.

In your first post you said "but forgeting about some crappy reviews and looking at what really counts, it looks like the guys gone and done it again" and then went on to say "I bet the guy looks at people slagging him off on the DD message board and crys himself to sleep. With tears of happiness". I took this to mean that you were suggesting that the focusing on poor reviews is stupid because it's the money that matters (or what really counts).

Now you seem to be saying that all you were saying is that money counts in Hollywood. No argument there. Of course it does (nice sarcasim by the way, it was so subtle I didn't even notice it until the fourth or fifth word). That has nothing to do with the original point.

The original point (made by you) was that there are reviews and there is box office and one should ignore the reviews because it's the box office that "really counts".

And, yes, of course the box office, and money in general, is what really counts in the parts of Hollywood that make dumb, fluff movies. Review count to people who see film as art.

You want to throw your hat in with the box officers, that's fine.

Good for you.

Hey, when's the next spy movie starring a kid coming out. I hear it's going to be awesome!

AWESOME!

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's taking sides? This box office vs 'reviews' as what 'really counts' is a new one for me. I really can't stress the importance of reading thimgs before you make comment on them. The whole thing is in a 'Box office matters in Hollywood context. Its also in the context of MSJ supposedly being 'bad'.

See, people who slag off a movie or director (umm, lets see....say....DD and MSJ) throw lots of petrol on the fire. Some of it is 'box office', or supposed 'lack of'. Some of it is reviews. I'll get back to reviews in a bit, but its the box office bit in this case, and even in DD with DVD and rental sales, that is kind of beyond argument. Either a film makes money or it don't. Thats what counts to studios. Saying I'm on the side of 'box office' because I quote box office figures is dumb. But you knew that anyway. I give you credit for that at least. Now maybe thats me being dumb.

james castle wrote:
(nice sarcasim by the way, it was so subtle I didn't even notice it until the fourth or fifth word).

Well, thats because you were Mr Sucker of Suckerville and you got sucked in and before you knew it, you were suckered. Really, it's either me being a great writer or you being a poor reader. Take your pick. Don't mind either way.

Quote:
The original point (made by you) was that there are reviews and there is box office and one should ignore the reviews because it's the box office that "really counts".

(Sigh) Which is..what...people in Hollywood.....think...I..guess.

I guess in the absense of anyone here on the board from Hollywood, I thought being from Liverpool (hey. similar, note the two 'oo's) I'd state the obvious and make the point.

And am I alone in thinking that you're always ( well the posts by you I read) doing that 'misread the whole thing' thing and make a point of mentioning it two or three times anyway in the same post? You know, if you can't make the point clear enough first time, you need to do something about your writing.

Quote:
And, yes, of course the box office, and money in general, is what really counts in the parts of Hollywood that make dumb, fluff movies. Review count to people who see film as art.

Well, I agree with the dumb, fluff movie bit. But the rest of this is the dumbest thing I've read in ages. As all taste in 'art' is subjective anyway, to suggest that 'reviews' should in anyway "count" towards your own perception of such reeks of someone who can't make up his own mind about things and is completely at the mercy of some hack who might just happen to be in a bad mood that day. A (very small), minority of 'critics' or 'reviewers' are actually quite good. Someone like Gary Groth of The Comics Journal at least shows a constant striving in his work for a higher quality of 'art' in many fields, and he's been doing it consistantly for many, many years. The vast majority, especially the reviews that tend to be quoted in this Off Topic or Movie forum with the rise of on line instant feedback, are illiterate, frustrated faliures who have trouble with words larger than two syllables. But hey, I'm not suprised for one minute you'd throw your weight behind their faceless, uninformed vitriol, James, or their syllables.

Your statement 'reviews count to people who see movies as art' is the most pretentious piece of crap I've ever read . I realise whats forced you to come out with this is me quoting 'box office' at the board, its just a reation, but its still pretentious crap. You should be a critic. No Gary Groth, but at least you'd have a sense of self worth.

There's still a distinct lack of conversation re Ghost Rider's box office around here, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: