Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Thoughts on DD's current villain
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Thoughts on DD's current villain Reply with quote

There has been some debate over the identity of the person making DD jump through hoops these days. Speculation has included Nick Fury, Vanessa Fisk, Richard Fisk, The Purple Man and others. I went back through all the Brubaker issues again to try and sort out all our clues. Maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there, but tell me what you think.

What we know so far:
*Lennox hires Danny Rand to run around in a DD costume. Rand is told to make weekly reports and is given tips on other criminal activities to be on the lookout for.
*Lennox hires old Kingpin bagman "Drivin' Ivan" to hire Hammerhead to put Murdock into solitary while ...
*Lennox himself hires an unnamed thug/crew to put a knife in Foggy
**at some point one of the C.Os at Rykers is also paid off to walk Foggy and Dakota into the trap. (His body is later found at a crime scene by Rand. Did Rand get the address as a tip??)

*The men outside the house of Foggy's protective custody reveal that they have a man inside the FBI who was able to get Foggy protected without most of the Bureau knowing. These men don't seem to want Foggy killed (obviously, if they seem connected to the ones who had him secretly placed there). -The most disturbing part is that members of The Hand who are watching over Foggy refer to these men as mafia.

*Dakota North and Ben Urich start to close in on Lennox and Lennox flees the country headed to Monaco. Lennox meets up with a list of others including Lilly Lucca and the new Matador. Lennox hires Lily to throw Murdock off his trail and disorient him with the pheromones (meaning someone understands all of Matt's senses). The Matador is hired to kill Lily in front of DD -for a yet undisclosed reason.

*All we've really know of the mastermind is that they are on an IV and DD feels a knife turning in his back over it.

SPECULATIONS
---As I reread all of this, here's what really stood out to me. Criminal activity is being monitored by Lennox and his employer, sending their DD (Rand) after unwanted activities. And criminals, of all people, want to keep Foggy secure.

It seems possible that someone has been using all of this to establish control of all the Kingpin's old territory (and gain overseas allies), while weeding out any unwanted competition through their very own DD. Rand even thought he was really doing it for Foggy.

But then Matt escaped jail. For whoever is busy gathering territory, it would be convenient to send Matt off after Lennox. -It's easily gets him out of the way. Lily's death would remove her knowledge base from the equation. If her death happened to send Murdock over the edge along the way -all the better for their plans. And if that didn't send Murdock over? Well, having Foggy seems like a decent back-up plan.

So we could be looking for someone attempting to become a 'new Kingpin' who knows all about Murdock. Now add in the IV. Who fits?? -you can't help but consider Richard Fisk pretty seriously. Taking over Daddy's place, and reestablishing the status quo with Murdock.

If this happens to pass, I haven't figured the following out:

Who is the mafia man inside the CIA and would it really matter?

What's Matt's comment about a knife in the back mean? Is it just his way of saying it all comes back a Fisk and enemies he should have expected something like this from?

Let me know what you think.
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...that's some good theories there...wow. Just...wow.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: The Fisk theory Reply with quote

I'm guessing that the man on the IV is Richard Fisk as well. But I'm guessing that Lily probably told Daredevil about Vanessa as well. Vanessa killing Richard always seemed wildly out of character to me, and I'm thinking she would be working with Richard nowadays. I think this is a mother and son team-up, and that is why Daredevil feels betrayed. Daredevil has done a lot to help Vanessa in the past, and there did appear to be an understanding between them when she left.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I speculated Richard Fisk a long time ago. But, I don't think Vanessa is involved. Perhaps Dakota North is working for the I.V. guy, I mean she has been leading Matt the whole way though Europe. Heck, she was the one that pressed the answering machine (and got the message) to get Matt to Europe in the first place. And, she was with Foggy when he got stabbed . . . and then somehow Foggy winds up at a safehouse with a surgeon and all (an apparent "safehouse" that is).

My only question is what does the FBI director have to do with all this? It was he that spearheaded the case against Murdock, so much that he would even trade the Kingpin for Matt. But then, wait, he DID actually have "evidence" on KP so they BOTH went to prison. If the I.V. guy had anything to do with Wilson going to prison (because of his possible relation to the FBI director) then it makes no sense that Vanessa would be involved. She would never betray her husband.

C'mon, Clayton Blind Love, let's start speculating again (I know, I know, you hate the Rose idea). Anymore theories out there?

rgj
Sandman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm skeptical about the two of them working together. If it really is Richard Fisk at the IV, it's most likely because his mother shot him.
I can see this being part of his reasoning in an attempt to make things right with his father, but I can't see him reuniting with his mother so quickly after she shot him.

The more I think about my whole commentary above, the more struck I am. Has Brubaker really managed to pick up all the fractured pieces of DD's life that Bendis left things in and reestablish them into a version of the old status quo in a year's worth of issues? -Again, I realize that my theory is just that -a theory- but if this comes to pass, Brubaker is more amazing than I could have ever expected.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Dakota North Reply with quote

I never heard of Dakota North until this year. What is her background?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_North

I remember she had a limited series (or one shot?) in the early 90's. She's just a private investigator as far as I know. Doesn't this mean she could work for anybody? Even clients with I.V.s?

rgj
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I am certain that the "knife twisting in the back" comment is directed at Dakota North. The IV Guy eludes me. That being said, I think we'll see that Europe is indeed IV Guy's home ground and that Matt/DD is out of his element intentionally in Europe while IV Guy is perfectly situated, using his resources as best as possible.

Richard is dead. He is not coming back. Bru is not one to take Brian's work and change it (yet). He has too much respect for his friend's work to dive in and and do a revamp.

C.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Dakota North Reply with quote

I just read the Wikipedia entry for Dakota North. (thanks for the link rgj.)

I really don't think it's her. She was recommended to Nelson and Murdock by Jessica Jones. She has quite an honourable history. I don't think Marvel would tarnish this character by making her a villain with such a reach that Matt would never be able to tell that she was up to something. I'm ruling her out.

Brubaker has brought characters back from "an apparent death" before. (Bucky in Captain America and Holly in Catwoman.) I don't see that as a sign of disrespect on his part. None of us saw Richard's corpse, so why could it not all have been a hoax? Which would mean that Vanessa could have been in on it. I think maternal guilt for wounding her son would make her want to work with Richard. I think she's in on it. She's the only person I can think of who would trigger this "knife in my back" reaction in Daredevil.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBL wrote:
Richard is dead. He is not coming back. Bru is not one to take Brian's work and change it (yet). He has too much respect for his friend's work to dive in and and do a revamp.

I'm with Demitre regarding this statement. Bru is in no way "disrespecting" Bendis by using a Marvel character (for heaven's sake, Bendis disrespected Frank Miller more than this, "Dan the Bomb", indeed; "Elektra betrays Matt's senses", indeed; "Stick reincarnated as some dumb baby," indeed!). Regardless of how one feels about Richard being brought back, it adds up that it "could" be him with an I.V. because his mother tried to kill him. It's possible and plausable. Now, granted, Bru can make just about anyone the mastermind, get anyone out of left field for the villain, like, Baron Von Strucker or something, but Richard makes sense here. And, I for one, would not hold it against Bru, especially if it's a hell of a story.

rgj
EightiesCartoon
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow RJG, thats very cool ;D

I'm going with the Richard Fisk theory, and, this is going right out on a limb because I knows it stupid, but I reckon Lilly Lucca is Typhoid Mary.
Just wanted to throw that one in there, again, its dumb, but its a wild card
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD #32 (vol.2)

Agent Driver draws an "X" over Richard Fisk's face on the suspect board after reading an update report handed to him.

Mr. Davis - "Get out of town... Richard Fisk is Dead?"

Agent Driver - "Dead as pop music, sir. (looking at report in hand) Says he was found in his apartment -- shot in the head and chest with a .22."

HE WAS FOUND

Sorry to burst the bubble.

C.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBL wrote:
Agent Driver - "Dead as pop music, sir. (looking at report in hand) Says he was found in his apartment -- shot in the head and chest with a .22."

So, the report "says" he was found dead. And, this report was done by who . . . someone in the FBI/police?? On the take?? No mention of "seeing" the dead body by Driver? No funeral mentioned?? Seems to me that Clayton just gave PROOF that it IS Richard Fisk. Because, as much as it sucks, pop music is still alive. C'mon, a .22 is a sissy gun.

rgj Razz

p.s. Seriously, I was hoping for Baron Von Strucker. Hail Hydra!
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Dakota North Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:

Brubaker has brought characters back from "an apparent death" before. (Bucky in Captain America and Holly in Catwoman.) I don't see that as a sign of disrespect on his part.

You don't understand my point. The examples you give are excellent in showing that Bru does a great job bringing back characters from the dead. I have no qualms about this. Brilliant writer.

The point I am trying to make is this:

Bendis, a dear friend of Brubaker, had killed off Richard Fisk (killed in "Underboss"/confirmed as killed in "Out") in his highly acclaimed, double nominated, Eisner Award Winning (Best Continuing Series Winner) story 4 years ago. Arguably the best story arcs of the Bendis run. With such high critical appraise, Brubaker would not attempt to "fix" something that absolutely needs no tinkering with. Not only this, but Brubaker would show a complete lack of respect towards his dear friend Brian by attempting to revive a character that so well served his purpose in a story that his friend recently wrote. Brubaker wouldn't do it. He has too much class than to take what his friend wrote and gained critical acclaim for and just change it. Maybe another writer. Maybe another time (a long one). Not Brubaker.

C.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your address rgj? I'm sending Richard's body to you because obviously you need everything spelled out to you literally AND visually when you read comicbooks.

Wink

C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: