Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil 91...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Overlord wrote:
Nick Fury engaging in such a vile scheme would be completely against his character and would ruin him, IMO. I think it would be a waste to ruin a heroic character just make the ending more shocking.

I do not oppose you line of reasoning at all, but to be clear, Nick Fury is not a "heroic character" in the normal sense. This is a man who makes decisions that many superheroes cannot understand and knows how to make sacrifices (accepting losses) to achieve goals. This is what Nick Fury is all about.

C.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
The Overlord wrote:
Nick Fury engaging in such a vile scheme would be completely against his character and would ruin him, IMO. I think it would be a waste to ruin a heroic character just make the ending more shocking.

I do not oppose you line of reasoning at all, but to be clear, Nick Fury is not a "heroic character" in the normal sense. This is a man who makes decisions that many superheroes cannot understand and knows how to make sacrifices (accepting losses) to achieve goals. This is what Nick Fury is all about.

C.

Nick Fury is a pragmatist though, not a sadist. IMO, everything seems to point towards the mastermind having a personal grudge against DD, everything seems to be designed towards inflicting maximum personal damage on DD. If Nick Fury merely wanted to remove DD from the playing field, there are much better ways to do that without trying to torment DD (for example DD was already in prison and the fake DD was already running around before the attempt on Foggy's life, faking Foggy's death with would have counter productive at that point.)

I don't think Fury would give Lilly pheromones to her smell like Karen and then have her lkilled right in front of DD so he can relive his death. It would totally out of character for Fury do such thing, he has no personal grudge against DD and is not the type to engage in pointless sadism. That is why IMO, I don't think Fury is behind this, this scheme seems to have a sadistic, revenge based goal, rather than a pragmatic one.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning a little toward the Vanessa Fisk theory. She and Matt did seem to part on good terms, but maybe she has changed her mind since the Kingpin is now in prison. She has been mentally unstable in the past.

Has anyone thought about how Matt might regain some of his life after he gets back from galavanting around Europe? Will the firm now become Murdock and Blake if Foggy is "relocated"? Will Matt even get to practice law again, or will he wash dishes while Becky tries the cases? Will Milla become insanely jealous of Becky and Dakota North? Hmmm?

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see the mastermind be Elektra. Cool

(Of course, this would end up being a complex story.)
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBL wrote:
10 issues in and I'm calling out that Bru and Lark ARE the best team since Miller and Mazzucchelli

Well, I still think Nocienti (as a whole) and (early) Chichester is still better. But, I'll agree with Clayton to a certain extent, that given enough time Bru and Lark could have that title. Just reading this thread demostrates how effective Brubaker is as a writer. Good stuff. I like the debate here generated by the last issue regarding the "they" comment. Seems like it's an oranization behind it all, yet we see the person with the I.V. drip. We see roses throughout the arc. And, we have Matt final words: "a knife twisting in my back." A betrayal. What person or group would Matt consider a betrayal from? Clayton is right about Fury (although, as Overlord said, would he be that sadistic?). Forget the Hand/Elektra 'cause I don't think Matt trusts her anyway. Vanessa Fisk? Maybe. Afterall, they "parted in good terms" as people here have said, thus a feeling of betrayal. Still, wasn't part of this big master plan putting Wilson in jail? I don't think she would do this. The only other group Matt would trust and feel betrayed by is the Chaste. I think it just boils down to waiting for the reveal by Bru (although, continue speculating, its so much fun!!). Many folks think it would be a let down if it turns out to be supervillain A or B. But, I'm going to give Bru some credit. Say, for example it is Purple Man or a very much alive Richard "the Rose" Fisk (I don't care if Bendis used him, Bendis wasn't the first and he won't be the last), the PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING (or the story, in Bru's case). And, I think no matter WHO is behind this, I think that Bru could very well pull it off based on the amazing stories he's given us thus far. Hey, I expect nothing less from a creative team that could very well be the best on DAREDEVIL since Miller and Mazz.

rgj
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
And, I think no matter WHO is behind this, I think that Bru could very well pull it off based on the amazing stories he's given us thus far.

Brubaker has me reading Uncanny X-Men, so I'd say he can pull off anything. Razz

Seriously, the quality of his work is amazing!
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
I like the debate here generated by the last issue regarding the "they" comment. Seems like it's an oranization behind it all, yet we see the person with the I.V. drip.

The new Emissaries of Evil! Very Happy
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be losing my mind thinking about this mystery. This is obviously the greatest compliment I could give Bru and Lark. I don't have time to worry about my problems. A Daredevil mystery on the brain is the perfect escape from stress. Well, it won't beat exercise, but nothing beats that.

Anyhow, The Overlord got me thinking about the second attempt made on Foggy's life. Something I had forgotten when I proposed my Nick Fury theory the first time around. So, I dove in #88 last night and a few things came to my attention that might not of grabbed my attention the first time around.

Pg. 13 - Two supposed hitmen waiting in a car outside of Foggy's safe house. One says to the other, "our guy managed to get this Nelson into witness relocation without tipping off the higher ups." Further on the same man says, "I just overheard the boss talkin' to some lawyer about this crap." There is really a lot of stuff happening on this page that warrants reading again, but these two points of converstation are worth noting. The hit on Foggy failed and the person/organization knew this immediately. It was either intended all along to place Foggy into witness protection or it was a fluke that this person/organization knew that they had to search for a supposed "dead" guy from the time Foggy disappeared. We know that Alton really knew nothing and was only following the command of someone else. Well, his death signifies that he could of revealed the identity of the boss. That much is known.

Pg. 16 - Foggy escapes from the safe house and enters a cab driven by a supposed hitman in cover. The driver says, "Just take it easy, Nelson... no one wants to hurt you. Just got to make a delivery." Pg. 17 - Cab takes Foggy to the junkyard where an army of men are waiting for him (an army to take out Foggy?). Cab driver/hitman has trouble getting Foggy out of the cab. Another man approaches and says, "What's the problem?" He is told that Foggy won't get out. To which he replys, "Let me talk to..." (at this point Elektra's Hand shows up to rescue Foggy).
You have to wonder why this supposed attempt on Foggy's life this second time is so much different than the attempt made the first time.
A prisoner beats up Foggy and then stabs him in the chest once and walks away. Maybe I'm reading into this too much, but the prisoner stabs him ONLY once and doesn't even attempt to break the shiv (homemade knife) in half to ensure the damage has an excellent chance to become fatal? Surely, those of us that read/watch prison stories know that if someone wants to ensure death from a shiv, then they break it while it enters the body and it helps to stab a few time before breaking it off.
The second attempt is quite the opposite. There is no immediate danger to Foggy's life. The mystery man/woman/organization does not command the troops to kill Foggy at first chance. The cab driver has the means to end Foggy right there in the cab. All we know is that Foggy is meant to be kept alive and he is supposed to be told something. This doesn't feel like someone wants Foggy dead at all.

So, here we have it. Someone knew from the very beginning that Foggy either wasn't supposed to die in the prison or that someone is just that extra cautious and knew that Foggy could survive the stabbing and disappear. Which raise the point, how does someone know to look for a dead guy if they're already "dead."

The Nick Fury conspiracy lives!!! Shocked
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another suspect to throw out there. You would have to go way back to issue #83 to notice this. Keep in mind, I'm hanging eveything on the idea that someone betrayed Matt/DD. Someone was basically a good person, but now is bad (at least in Matt's eyes). Who else could stab Matt in the back?

Rosalind Sharpe?

Pg. 4 - Rosalind says, "You got my boy killed!" To which Matt thinks to himself, "It's uncharacteristic of Ms. Sharpe to show so much emotion. But funerals aren't normal places, and you never know what you'll learn."

Cold woman showing a warm heart?

Maybe she took a play out of Vanessa Fisk's playbook and attempted to off her own stepson. Going back to Guardian Devil, she obviously disowned her stepson when her business practice took damage due to Foggy's murder accusation. Her livelihood meant more than Foggy's life at that point. Her focus here of course, would be to inflict the most damage on Matt due to her success being threatened by her past association with Matt in a law practice. Matt goes to jail for being Daredevil and lawyers, police, judges, etc... (people whose careers might cross paths with Rosalind) gossip about Rosalind's previous association with Matt and how maybe she knew Matt was Daredevil (even though the reader knows the fact is she didn't). Just maybe, the damage to her career so threatening or beyond repair that she crosses over now to the "bad guy" side.
Rosalind defended Fisk during the "Parts of a Hole" storyline and successfully got Wilson off. She has had this connection to a mastermind with unlimited resources for a while now. Perhaps Fisk is willing to let Rosalind to play the game using his resources. Or perhaps, she is using Fisk's resources without his knowledge.

This could be the betrayal. A former law partner with ties to the mafia whose name is smeared and worthless now that Matt was sent to jail and has since escaped.

Not likely. I couldn't explain why she would have Danny Rand dress up as Daredevil and mislead the public.

Nick Fury is more likely than this.

C.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, me again. Just yapping to myself here. Smile

I think it has to be assumed that the mystery boss is connected to eveything in Bru and Lark's run from their start to now.

Alton Lennox hires Danny Rand to be Daredevil. Why does the mystery boss want this? What purpose does this serve?

This is the very first thing that we know of that Alton Lennox does and it is assumed that the mystery boss wants this. Before the attempt on Foggy's life. Before the emloyment of Lily, Tombstone, the new Matador. Before the use of a powerful perfume. The first objective is to have Danny Rand parade around in a Daredevil suit. Why is this so important to the mystery boss? How does this serve the interests of mystery boss? Why was Danny Rand the right choice to be Daredevil? Why not Peter Parker/Spider-Man? Isn't he the best choice?

(to answer that last question - maybe, at the time, Peter was on the wrong side of the war)

Find a name that fits well in that summary and everything else comes after.

C.
Isaac
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, how good would be the Sharpe option. But so, so twisted, that I rather don't think so. Read the summary to number 93? They refer to Kingpin having something to do with this all. Old rancid stiff? What if Kingpin had one of this thingies installed in the heart, the kind of thing you get after a heart attack? I don't know how to say it in English, but someone remembers the time Murdock defended a guilty man during first Miller's run, basing on the regularity of his heartbeat when he lied? And it would be likely for Kingpin to have one, since he was stabbed practically to death. (What a poor man lately: blinded, stabbed, hit by a car... He is so overused I would like to seem he die, and then having Matt killing Bullseye, all in a row, and then Elektra revealed as being a robot or something, and killed, and buried with the mouth full of garlic heads.)
There is for sure someone with some kind of organization behind, as seen in the Nelson one-shot. Rosalind to be the bad guy would rock, but I see is really too twisted... Not too likely.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
rgj wrote:
I like the debate here generated by the last issue regarding the "they" comment. Seems like it's an oranization behind it all, yet we see the person with the I.V. drip.

The new Emissaries of Evil! Very Happy

Cute. Very Happy

Seriously though it could very well be more then one villain involved. For example Mr. Fear and Purple Man may not be the mastermind, but I think one of them is involved in this plot, providing the pheromones that mastermind used against Matt.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
Here is another suspect to throw out there. You would have to go way back to issue #83 to notice this. Keep in mind, I'm hanging eveything on the idea that someone betrayed Matt/DD. Someone was basically a good person, but now is bad (at least in Matt's eyes). Who else could stab Matt in the back?

Rosalind Sharpe?

Pg. 4 - Rosalind says, "You got my boy killed!" To which Matt thinks to himself, "It's uncharacteristic of Ms. Sharpe to show so much emotion. But funerals aren't normal places, and you never know what you'll learn."

Cold woman showing a warm heart?

Maybe she took a play out of Vanessa Fisk's playbook and attempted to off her own stepson. Going back to Guardian Devil, she obviously disowned her stepson when her business practice took damage due to Foggy's murder accusation. Her livelihood meant more than Foggy's life at that point. Her focus here of course, would be to inflict the most damage on Matt due to her success being threatened by her past association with Matt in a law practice. Matt goes to jail for being Daredevil and lawyers, police, judges, etc... (people whose careers might cross paths with Rosalind) gossip about Rosalind's previous association with Matt and how maybe she knew Matt was Daredevil (even though the reader knows the fact is she didn't). Just maybe, the damage to her career so threatening or beyond repair that she crosses over now to the "bad guy" side.
Rosalind defended Fisk during the "Parts of a Hole" storyline and successfully got Wilson off. She has had this connection to a mastermind with unlimited resources for a while now. Perhaps Fisk is willing to let Rosalind to play the game using his resources. Or perhaps, she is using Fisk's resources without his knowledge.

This could be the betrayal. A former law partner with ties to the mafia whose name is smeared and worthless now that Matt was sent to jail and has since escaped.

Not likely. I couldn't explain why she would have Danny Rand dress up as Daredevil and mislead the public.

Nick Fury is more likely than this.

C.

But still why would Fury or Sharpe want to engage in pointless sadism? Why would anyone who doesn't have a psychotic level of hatred towards Matt want to do things to DD that have no purpose beyond inflicting emotional pain on Matt?

Take Lilly for example, what pratical purpose does giving her pheromones that make her smell make Karen and then killing her in front of Matt so he will relive Karen's death serve? In my mind, I can't see a purpose for that beyond sadism, it doesn't serve a pratical purpose and I think it would be OOC for either Fury or Sharpe to engage in such sadism. Sharpe is a tough and somewhat uncaring but sadism and murder seem a bit too extreme for her. Likewise Fury is a pragmatist, he has never been the type to inflict emotional pain on others for kicks, Fury is many things, but he is not a sadist. Just doesn't add up, IMO. But I could be wrong, maybe Brubker is setting us up for a curve ball.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Clayton's attempt to decipher the truth. I can see his point on Nick Fury. And, while I don't think Fury is "sadistic", I think he is defenitley an ends justifies the means kind of guy. But, what's the point? Bru said DD will have nothing to do with Civil War and it would be a waste of our time if this whole exercise (and foreign trip and Foggy's attempted assassination) is for the sake of the crappy Civil War storyline. And, also, isn't there an assumption here that "whoever" tried to kill Foggy was also responsilbe for the FBI going after Matt? Why would Fury go "after" Matt to begin with?? Still, there is something fishy about Foggy's attmpted assassination (as Clayton pointed out that the cab driver--mob guys?--could have offed Foggy pretty quickly, it seemed that they just wanted to talk to him before the Hand came in and sent him back to the safehouse). Anyway, its apparent that the assassination attempt was never intended to actually kill Foggy. It's not a coincidence that shortly after Foggy gets cut that an ambulance is ready to take him "away" to have surgery, and NOT at any hospital. HOLY CRAP!!, is Dakota North in on it? Heck, she is leading Matt with tips throughout Europe. And, of course, the whole Foggy's funeral. I still think its amazing that it was a closed casket funeral. Foggy was not disfigured. Why would it be closed casket?? WHO IDENTIFIED THE DEAD BODY??? You can't have a funeral like that one unless the body is identified!!

rgj
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets face it, who of any real importance has actually died so far? Some prisoners. Some mobsters. Alton Lennox. Certainly this must of been worth it to keep Danny Rand in a Daredevil suit and Matt distracted into believing Foggy death and chasing ghosts.

C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: