Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil 91...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isaac
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Daredevil 91... Reply with quote

I didn't like the last issue so much. It seems to be drawn in a hurry or something, since the backgrounds during the fight are inexistent, like in the mangas, and it is not good for the ambientation. Damn, today I can't speak English. I don't find the words. It has remind me of Bendis, since this issue is decompressed. And there is no mistery anymore: the Purple Man is behind it all. Just look at the arm of the guy in the last page. Which color? So I'm looking forward to the next arc, which will be Brubaker original and not a continuation of Bendis' work. I'm pretty deceived. Maybe because of the scans. Not so good as they used to be. But worse is to wait a year for the trades... I don't know what to say.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be Purple Man. There is one other villain who has access to pheromones and a grudge against DD:

Larry Cranston aka Mr. Fear III. His nephew Alan Fagan was able to distill a pheromone from his fear gas that would make him (almost) irresistible to women. Want to bet Cranston could do the same thing? Cranston could have created seduction based pheromones, then given to Lilly so she would mess with Matt's head. Cranston hasn't been seen since 1998, so he could have gotten sick in that time, plus Cranston has been nursing a grudge against Matt for a long while now and has engaged schemes to hurt Matt before (framing Karen Page for murder in 1998).

Besides last I heard Purple Man was in good health and was in Canada.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, and from his last DD appearance, Fear was in very close contact with Karen. It is reasonable that Fear still has something of hers to extract her scent from.

I hope the mastermind behind all this is someone that we have never seen as a significant villain before, or a villain we haven't seen for decades (e.g. pre-Miller).
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
Right, and from his last DD appearance, Fear was in very close contact with Karen. It is reasonable that Fear still has something of hers to extract her scent from.

I hope the mastermind behind all this is someone that we have never seen as a significant villain before, or a villain we haven't seen for decades (e.g. pre-Miller).

Anyone you have in mind?
Lundonj
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think the pace is a bit slower than the last arc, but it would take a lot to top that first storyline.

That said, I have had no problems at all with the art, I've really enjoyed the varied settings, from "Mike" playing poker to the backdrops in France.

The 'purple' arm may yet be a 'red' herring. Still, I'm interested to see, whoever it is that has been pulling the proverbial strings.

-Don
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lundonj wrote:
I do think the pace is a bit slower than the last arc, but it would take a lot to top that first storyline.

That said, I have had no problems at all with the art, I've really enjoyed the varied settings, from "Mike" playing poker to the backdrops in France.

The 'purple' arm may yet be a 'red' herring. Still, I'm interested to see, whoever it is that has been pulling the proverbial strings.

-Don

Well Purple Man is in Canada at moment, so that seems to rule him out as a suspect, however Marvel has lousy editors, so pM could still be the mastermind, despite the fact he supposed to be in Canada.

I'm still leaning towards Larry Cranston though, he has means (if his nephew can distill mind altering pheromones from his fear gas, I think Larry could do the same), motive (he has nursed a nasty grudge against Matt since day one) and opportunity (he hasn't been seen since 1998 so he could have gotten sick by now and he isn't supposed to be in Canada at the moment). But who knows maybe Brubkaer will throw a curve ball.
hekate32
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil 92: "Yes, it was I 'The Purple Man'/Mr Fear/Leapfrog/Starr Saxon/any rogue's gallery villain you can dredge up since the 1960's' who killed Foggy, hired a fake Daredevil, dragged you across Europe, sought to reinforce your sense of abject failure by killing a Karen-smell-a-like before your eyes!' .. lots of cackling.. "and now you're mine, ruined.... I'll kill you!"

I've only known Mr Brubaker from this current run but I give him a lot more credit that that. At this point we know Daredevil knows, it was nicely done, and we too will find out, albeit in four weeks. The first question I'd put to any of you is would the reveal of any supervillain at this juncture however well scripted have any dramatic or emotional impact? Would it hell is my personal answer. You could put every single one of them in a hat, pluck out a name and dress it up in the usual thwarted villain revenge spiel and create an ending ultimately as satisfying as any in Scooby Doo.

At this juncture, I have no idea who is responsible, with every installment Mr Brubaker succeeds in muddying the waters further. I do believe Daredevil's penultimate comment to be the most pertinent one 'and I can almost feel the knife twisting in my back.' Perhaps I want to believe it because the emotional weight of betrayal has far greater impact and would be a far more satisfying reveal/resolution to this noir tale than some hammish megalomaniac from the past and I honestly don't know who to point the finger at, yet I still find it an infinitely more satisfying closure than any random rogue gallery pick.

A side note - there is no 'scent of Karen, eau de page'. As Lily herself explained, it is odourless, it's a pheremone. It induces a reaction - in Matt for Karen's scent, in the Matador for his mother's scent. I postulated last month, Cranston could've been involved in its manufacture, but is he pulling the strings? Not a chance. You only need to look at the dialogue - they, they, they - 'they' is an organisation, a cartel, a family. Who are 'they'? I have no idea but I've spent the last few days reading and re-reading and trying to figure the damn thing out and that's a tell-tale sign of damn good book.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hekate32 wrote:
Daredevil 92: "Yes, it was I 'The Purple Man'/Mr Fear/Leapfrog/Starr Saxon/any rogue's gallery villain you can dredge up since the 1960's' who killed Foggy, hired a fake Daredevil, dragged you across Europe, sought to reinforce your sense of abject failure by killing a Karen-smell-a-like before your eyes!' .. lots of cackling.. "and now you're mine, ruined.... I'll kill you!"

I've only known Mr Brubaker from this current run but I give him a lot more credit that that. At this point we know Daredevil knows, it was nicely done, and we too will find out, albeit in four weeks. The first question I'd put to any of you is would the reveal of any supervillain at this juncture however well scripted have any dramatic or emotional impact? Would it hell is my personal answer. You could put every single one of them in a hat, pluck out a name and dress it up in the usual thwarted villain revenge spiel and create an ending ultimately as satisfying as any in Scooby Doo.

At this juncture, I have no idea who is responsible, with every installment Mr Brubaker succeeds in muddying the waters further. I do believe Daredevil's penultimate comment to be the most pertinent one 'and I can almost feel the knife twisting in my back.' Perhaps I want to believe it because the emotional weight of betrayal has far greater impact and would be a far more satisfying reveal/resolution to this noir tale than some hammish megalomaniac from the past and I honestly don't know who to point the finger at, yet I still find it an infinitely more satisfying closure than any random rogue gallery pick.

A side note - there is no 'scent of Karen, eau de page'. As Lily herself explained, it is odourless, it's a pheremone. It induces a reaction - in Matt for Karen's scent, in the Matador for his mother's scent. I postulated last month, Cranston could've been involved in its manufacture, but is he pulling the strings? Not a chance. You only need to look at the dialogue - they, they, they - 'they' is an organisation, a cartel, a family. Who are 'they'? I have no idea but I've spent the last few days reading and re-reading and trying to figure the damn thing out and that's a tell-tale sign of damn good book.

To be fair the term "they" could just refer to the main villain and his or her underlings (Tombstone, Matador, those nameless gangsters) the villain clearly has organization backing them, but someone is at the top pullling the strings, one individual running the show.

I'm just spit balling based on the information I have now, who knows, maybe Brubaker is setting everyone up for a curve ball. After the previews have said the relevation of this mastermind's ID would shocking, which wouldn't be the case with a traditional villain, however I don't know if that statement is hype or not.

Now perhaps PM or Mr. Fear aren't the mastermind, but the presence of pheromones seems to suggest one of those two is involved somehow. The big question is, who besides one of Matt's villains, has a motive to hurt DD in this manner?
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hekate32 wrote:
I do believe Daredevil's penultimate comment to be the most pertinent one 'and I can almost feel the knife twisting in my back.'

This has all of my attention at this point in the story. Bru is an amazing writer and I think he is warning the readers to get ready for a shocking betrayal. It might be a villain involved with producing the powerful perfume, but there is a puppet master of sorts sitting at the top of this. I haven't a clue and I'm loving it.

10 issues in and I'm calling out that Bru and Lark ARE the best team since Miller and Mazzucchelli. There, I said it and I'm not taking it back. As much as I like the Bendis and Maleev run (I do very much, very "B to A" material), Bru and Lark (and Aja's one-shot!) are putting out a consistently better book so far. The pacing has been perfect (the one slight weakness of the Bendis' run). The nod to old school DD fans is very welcome (Mike Murdock! Becky Blake!). Also, you have to love this European tour. Last time we saw Matt/DD out of the Kitchen? Flying Blind. Rolling Eyes There is something definetly "on" about Bru and Lark's run so far.

Watch this. I probably jinxed them now. Wink

C.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Fury?

Maybe the hit on Foggy was never seriously placing his life in danger. Stab him and have the best medical resources standing ready. Have key contacts force Foggy in witness protection for his own good and separate Matt and Foggy indefinetly. Matt believes Foggy to be dead. Separate this duo and it allows Nick to offer/force the protection of Foggy and denies Matt his most trusted ally and source of information.

Have Danny Rand in place to be Daredevil not so much to confuse the press and public, but to set up his wildcard piece for Civil War events. A hero disguised as another hero. Smart thinking. Matt is out of the picture, but Matt suddenly escapes!

Send Matt/DD on a wild goose chase in Europe looking for Foggy's non-existant killer. This is to keep Matt/DD away from the superhero registered authorities in America. This would allow for Iron Fist/DD to be intentionally placed under arrest (at the right time) to go to a prision cell designed to hold Matt/DD, but obviously not Iron Fist/DD. Have Iron First escape and free the prisoners to swing the war back in their favor. Nick Fury and Cap's team benefits most for having Matt in Europe of all places.

Civil War #6 - December 20th
Daredevil #92 - December 27th

C.
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, great posts hekate32 and Clayton. Good, intelligent, speculative and analyzing stuff.

The current arc slightly, slightly pales to the previous one. But there are some neuances in "The Devil Takes a Ride" that are incredible. Ed Brubaker is definately weaving a great tapestry. He has been adding a texture to the noir that has not been seen in this title since (early) Chichester (up through "Last Rites"), Nocienti and Miller. While I greatly loved the work of Kelly and Bendis, they relied too much on "their" voice and making it "their" book (much like Mister Smith made Karen's death "his" crowning achievement on the mythology). That's not saying that Brubaker doesn't want to do the same thing, but the execution of these yarns pales to no one. He is blazing a new path for Daredevil (both the mythology and the character, and these 10 issues, I feel are only the opening acts!!), yet he is acknowledging the rich history (something that Bendis, try as he might, quite struggled at; "Don the Bomb", anyone?). His strokes of sheer brillence, as Clayton pointed out, bringing back Becky Blake (which might very well have been a way to fill the void left in the wake of Fogggy's "death", but it worked... and it is great to see her back on the title) and the short time where Matt dons the "Mike Murdock" identity (granted, it wasn't a true "homage" of the outlandish character that Matt tried to orchestrate during the early Stan Lee issues, but it was a great, great touch. Sheer brillience!!). Ed masterfully penned the prison epic beautifully. I felt that the prison stay should leave a mark on Matt, and Ed yanks it another level higher than that as Matt begins to lose control of his own moral equilibrium. And the tour in Europe is a wide open, refreshing repreive from Hell's Kitchen (no matter how much Hell's Kitchen has become more of a character on this title than a backdrop, THAT being something Bendis really, really nailed); which has been complimented very, very well by Michael Lark in his illustrating the spaciousness of Europe in comparison to the claustriphoiba that was powerfully rendered in the arc before. Michael Lark has truly sculpted the visceral sense accompanied with Ed Brubaker's words.

Still, there are some hiccups. The Danny Rand reveal was, to me, very underwhelming, and (as Dave Wallece had so aptly pointed out in his reviews) Matt being in costume in Europe seems greatly superfluous and honestly, do you really think Matt would, arguably, do this given the turmoil of his "identity crisis"?

The punctuation to the prison arc (DD# 87) was lacking on an arc that was absolutely blistering, but the final stanza in that issue: Foggy Nelson (along with the "Mike Murdock" homage that I discussed earlier) was a wonderful way to end the arc / issue and really make a very real and palpable emotional pay-off.

As hekate32 had pointed out, whether you plug in "villain A" or "villain B" as the "mastermind" behind the developments, it really would be a "Scooby Doo revelation" (I love the analogy, by the way, hekate32.). That kind of revelation really would be flat and would, in the readers' eye, would undo the momentum that he has built for 10 issues. There has to be more than some cranky culprit with a grudge. As other people have sited, it has to be an organization (given the "they" that has been thrown around... and also the fact that another organization, of sorts, has their Hand(s) (uh, yeah, crappy pun intended) in the batter, assisting Foggy during his plight.

Clayton considered Nick Fury and SHIELD. Which is an intriguing idea, but given the mess with "Civil War" (both figuratively and literally), it would put a rather rancid stain on Brubaker's work. But it is an intriguing idea, nonetheless.

If that is the case, would it make sense that SHIELD would harbor such thugs as Tombstone and the Matador (who, truth be told was much, much more of a matador than the ghastly cherade (is that how you spell "cherade"?) in early issues of the series). I'm not up on the whole SHIELD organization, and I never have, but THAT detail makes me believe it isn't.

But who else would "put the knife in Matt's back"? Who else would have Matt feel betrayed by their involment in puppeteering all the recent developments??

Elektra and the Hand? Do they play a larger part than we realize? And to what gain??

Then again, there is the identity of the person with the I.V. Tombstone was talking with about "baiting Matt Murdock" in DD#89. So, there is the disappointing reality (as hekate32 had discussed) that there is a singular culprit (insert "villain A").

Given all that, I fully believe that Ed Brubaker would weave a legitimate "twist" (like Foggy Nelson at the very end of DD#87) and add to the tapestry he so masterfully is delivering. Even if there is disappointment (i.e. MY feeling on the execution of Danny Rand as the "other" Daredevil). Sure, there may be that Marvel hype playing a factor on this "brillient reveal" (maybe not to the Bendis degree, mind you, but it may very well be present), but I have absolute faith in Brubaker's storytelling genius to truly buck the traditional comic book supervillain / "Scooby Doo" (again, a nod to hekate32) reveal.

There will be a "twist" of some sort. I am absolutely positive of this.
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...Bru is giving a heavy nod to old school DD. Is it me or was DD more swashbuckling in this ish than previous issues. I kinda liked that aspect of DD at the moment. Not to fun loving but fun enough to see DD make a genuine smile here and there *during the fight with the Matador and Tombstone*. Great ish, grade A material for sure. And the best since Miller and Mazzucchelli? Daresay it..but maybe that is true. We'll have to greatly discuss this when Bru and Lark have been on it a bit longer. For the start of a new team on DD they're really amazing, long run who knows. Plus weren't Miller and Mazzucchelli on it only for Born Again?
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
Nick Fury?

Maybe the hit on Foggy was never seriously placing his life in danger. Stab him and have the best medical resources standing ready. Have key contacts force Foggy in witness protection for his own good and separate Matt and Foggy indefinetly. Matt believes Foggy to be dead. Separate this duo and it allows Nick to offer/force the protection of Foggy and denies Matt his most trusted ally and source of information.

Have Danny Rand in place to be Daredevil not so much to confuse the press and public, but to set up his wildcard piece for Civil War events. A hero disguised as another hero. Smart thinking. Matt is out of the picture, but Matt suddenly escapes!

Send Matt/DD on a wild goose chase in Europe looking for Foggy's non-existant killer. This is to keep Matt/DD away from the superhero registered authorities in America. This would allow for Iron Fist/DD to be intentionally placed under arrest (at the right time) to go to a prision cell designed to hold Matt/DD, but obviously not Iron Fist/DD. Have Iron First escape and free the prisoners to swing the war back in their favor. Nick Fury and Cap's team benefits most for having Matt in Europe of all places.

Civil War #6 - December 20th
Daredevil #92 - December 27th

C.

I don't think so, the mastermind has shown a sadistic streak that only someone who truly hated Matt would engage in. Why would Nick try to kill Foggy again if merely getting Matt out of the way is the objective? Why would Nick give Lilly pheromones to make her smell like Karen to Matt and then plan to kill her right in front of DD so Matt would relive Karen's death?

Why would Nick try to torment Matt? I don't Nick matches with the MO of the mastermind. The motive for this scheme seems like revenge to me and Nick has no grudge against DD. So the question is, who besides a DD villain, would have this kind of grudge against Matt?

So who has a large organization, a motive for revenge and would be close enough to matt that that he would feel betrayed by this person? As mentioned above Elektra now commands the Hand and Matt would feel betrayed by her, but where's the motive? Elektra has lost her ill will towards Matt long ago, in fact she was willing to aid Matt several times in the recent past (it would seem odd that Elektra would have Foggy killed one moment and save his life the next). Plus Elektra isn't a sadist, she goes for quick kills, not inflicting emotional suffering. I think she's a long shot.

Who else, well Vanessa Fisk has an a organization (she has what's left of the Kingpin's resources) she might have a motive (perhaps she is unhappy that her hunband is in prison) and Matt might feel betrayed by her (Matt nad Vanessa did part on very good terms). The fact that she parted with DD on such good terms may make her motive seem shakey, but I wouldn't rule her out.

Is there anyone else?
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really believe its Nick Fury. I just like the thought though. The whole objective for Nick would be to keep Matt away from the war. The death of a lawyer and death of Lily (which was to happen) would seem to be a fair trade to Nick in order to preserve his wildcard, of which, will no doubt unfold in CW #6. Anything to keep Matt/DD on this wild goose chase Remember, he is no longer with SHIELD. So, he would have to rely on other contacts since SHIELD is pro-registration. The use/hire of Tombstone and this new Matador would seem possible still. And since Nick has read the "file" on Matt/DD, he would know exactly how to drive him crazy (dames in trouble). Again though, I can't say I'm buying this. The only thing that scares me that this could be right is that the motive is clearly there.

I do think we should be considering someone who isn't known as a villain at this point, but will obviously be the villain revealed. Someone is 'stabbing Matt in the back' and Bru gave us these choice words to let us (the reader) know. Purple Man, Mr. Fear, or some other known villain doesn't "stab the hero in the back." The choice of words brings the notion of betrayal to mind. This is someone switching sides from good to bad or at the very least switching sides with Matt/DD.

C.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
I don't really believe its Nick Fury. I just like the thought though. The whole objective for Nick would be to keep Matt away from the war. The death of a lawyer and death of Lily (which was to happen) would seem to be a fair trade to Nick in order to preserve his wildcard, of which, will no doubt unfold in CW #6. Anything to keep Matt/DD on this wild goose chase Remember, he is no longer with SHIELD. So, he would have to rely on other contacts since SHIELD is pro-registration. The use/hire of Tombstone and this new Matador would seem possible still. And since Nick has read the "file" on Matt/DD, he would know exactly how to drive him crazy (dames in trouble). Again though, I can't say I'm buying this. The only thing that scares me that this could be right is that the motive is clearly there.

I do think we should be considering someone who isn't known as a villain at this point, but will obviously be the villain revealed. Someone is 'stabbing Matt in the back' and Bru gave us these choice words to let us (the reader) know. Purple Man, Mr. Fear, or some other known villain doesn't "stab the hero in the back." The choice of words brings the notion of betrayal to mind. This is someone switching sides from good to bad or at the very least switching sides with Matt/DD.

C.

Unless of course Lilly was fed bad information, just to mess with DD's head and make him think he was betrayed.

Besides DD was in prison and the fake DD was running around before Foggy was killed, so why would Fury fake Foggy's death at that point? Why not just ensure he stays in prison, indstead of giving Matt a motive to escape? Also why would Fury make Lilly smell like Karen and then try to kill her in front of him? What purpose did that serve? I don't think Fury is the type of person who engages in pointles sadism.

The problem with making a hero the mastermind is it would ruin the hero's character. Nick Fury engaging in such a vile scheme would be completely against his character and would ruin him, IMO. I think it would be a waste to ruin a heroic character just make the ending more shocking. This why I hated "Dissembled" it made Scarlet Witch into a villain just to be shocking and further the story, it ruined her character in the process. I would rather have a "Scooby-Doo" ending than ending that ruins a heroic character for the sake of shock value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: