Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil: Father #6 Discussion (Spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's pretty ridiculous that people think the fact Maggie's father being a child molestor is like the worst thing that could have happened. I mean

"I just hope the spider that bit Peter Parker wasn't a child molester too. " and comparing it to Typhoid Mary makes very little sense to me.

It's more like saying the janitor that didn't keep the spider in check was an alcoholic who cheated on his wife. Big deal.

www.UltimateCentral.com
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
The fact is that Matt was really the only hero I can think of that gained his powers (curse) with an act of heroism.

Just a nitpick, but what about the Hulk?
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheManWithoutFear wrote:
I think it's pretty ridiculous that people think the fact Maggie's father being a child molestor is like the worst thing that could have happened. I mean

No one's saying it's "the worst thing that could have happened". We're just saying it's a lame plot device used by Joey Q to artificially worm his way into the DD mythos and to get unthinking fan boys to get all excited about the story.

Quote:

"I just hope the spider that bit Peter Parker wasn't a child molester too. " and comparing it to Typhoid Mary makes very little sense to me.

The only thing that doesn't make sense about rgj's quote is that it seems like he isn't aware that the spider actually crawled along Peter (who was a teen) and then bit him. That means the spider was a child molester! As for the Typhoid thing: have you read the DD/Deadpool annual?

Quote:

It's more like saying the janitor that didn't keep the spider in check was an alcoholic who cheated on his wife. Big deal.

Are you saying the guy who Matt saved was not a big part of the origin?

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
just thinking as i'm typing, so if i "talk" in circles, forgive me.

for the most part, i'm pretty indifferent about the whole conclusion of the story. but rgj makes a nice point. i think that the story would have been a little more satisfying (perhaps a little pollyanne-ish) if the man the matt saved went on to do something to benefit mankind...longer lasting lightbulb, better mousetrap...you get the idea. on the other hand, an act of heroism doesn't discern between deserving people and undeserving people.

Again, my point is that there was no reason to flesh out this character. Its like Quesada said, "Hey, who in Matt's past (cause the world of DD is so dark and seedy) can I turn into a child molester for my story. Oh, yeah, how about that old, blind guy Matt saved. Ohhh, how clever of me! And, what a cool way to honor my father!!"
This old man was better left a mystery as the catalyst that caused a cascade of events which lead Matt to the life he now leads. I don't want to hear a story about the guy who killed Uncle Ben. I don't want to hear about how his son had leukemia and this poor, down on his luck, guy needed money desperately to help his child. And that he didn't mean to shoot Uncle Ben, just wanted to scare him, and that that is why his other son, decided to come after Spider-man, to avenge his dad and brother. There is no reason to drink from that well (especially, if you are doing it to be "clever", which is how Quesada comes across). Anyway, whatever.

rgj

Oh, and Dave, I don't know much about how the Hulk got his powers. Didn't know he was saving someone at the time.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To this day, the DD/Deadpool '97 Annual is one of my favorite DD issues. Razz
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:

me too.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
Forrest wrote:

me too.

Just for the arguments it generates? Smile
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:

This old man was better left a mystery as the catalyst that caused a cascade of events which lead Matt to the life he now leads.
A mystery?

www.UltimateCentral.com
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:
train wrote:
Forrest wrote:

me too.

From time to time, I still dig that issue out and re-read it. I've probably read it 20+ times. Of course, I've done the same thing with "Flying Blind" too.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:
train wrote:
Forrest wrote:

me too.

Actually, I genuinely like it aside from the Typhoid Mary reveal. At the same time, I love the Typhoid Mary reveal! Razz

Seriously, for me, MWOF is a big annoying retcon. It left a bad taste in my mouth (especially after DeMatteis's arc) and the DD/Deadpool annual is a nice after-dinner mint. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: