Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD:Father - Who is Maggie? (spoilers)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: DD:Father - Who is Maggie? (spoilers) Reply with quote

I just reread issues 1-5, this weekend and I forgot how great issue #5 was to read! I love the way Quesada tells a story! Also, I like the Santarians much, much better the second time around.

Who is Maggie (in DD:Father, not the nun)? What is her connection to Jack Murdock and/or Matt?

When we see flashbacks of Jack holding a picture and mentioning "Maggie," is he talking about this Maggie in DD:Father, or Maggie the nun, who we've been lead to believe is Matt's biological mother? Of course, we instinctively think it is "Sister Maggie," the nun who we've been lead to believe is Matt's mother. However, if Jack is refering to the same Maggie we see in DD: Father, then what was their connection?

I've never been completely convinced Sister Maggie is Matt's biological mother. Sure, issue #4 has the less than touching moments of Matt and Sister Maggie bonding a la son and mother, but at the same time this didn't seem too definitive and Matt didn't go see Dr. Strange to get cleared of the crazy poison until the next issue.

This Maggie in DD:Father is far too young to be Matt's mother (her and her husband were going to have kids, so I'd say she's still in her 30s). Could Maggie be Matt's sister? She was taken away from Jack at an early age and this gives the story the nature vs. nurture aspect that shows what an impact Jack had on Matt and where Matt might have gone with other parents?

In any case, I can't wait for the next issue! Very Happy
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When we see flashbacks of Jack holding a picture and mentioning "Maggie," is he talking about this Maggie in DD:Father, or Maggie the nun, who we've been lead to believe is Matt's biological mother?

A note: when I first read that, I was a bit perplexed. Because I remembered that, according to Miller's MWOF (if I'm not wrong), the name of Matt's mother wasn't "Maggie". "Maggie" being the name she eventually adopted when she became a nun.
So I thought it was just a minor continuity error by Quesada.
Could someone confirm this?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I don't remember that from MWOF. Perhaps, because I've always taken MWOF with a grain of salt and I haven't read it in a while. Out of curiosity, I'll look, though.

I think Joe Q has been very careful planning this story. If you're thinking it's a continuity error, I'm guessing it's not.

Remember how the flashbacks of Jack roughing up the shop owner were later expanded to reveal the sign, etc.? I'm guessing the same sort of thing will happen with the flashbacks of Jack looking at the picture; we might later see Matt recalling that picture.
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Quote:
When we see flashbacks of Jack holding a picture and mentioning "Maggie," is he talking about this Maggie in DD:Father, or Maggie the nun, who we've been lead to believe is Matt's biological mother?

A note: when I first read that, I was a bit perplexed. Because I remembered that, according to Miller's MWOF (if I'm not wrong), the name of Matt's mother wasn't "Maggie". "Maggie" being the name she eventually adopted when she became a nun.
So I thought it was just a minor continuity error by Quesada.
Could someone confirm this?

Sister Maggie's real name is Grace. I don't know where I remember that from though.
EightiesCartoon
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the name Grace mentioned before too, but can't put my finger on it - was it during Miller's run??

I'd love to see a 'Grace' mini, showing Matt's mother as a young Catholic student who may have been rebellious or something, following her life up until she meets Jack and has issues with Matt's birth then leaves her family.
Done right it would be a good read, I've dabbled with a possible story myself which starts with Matt and 'Maggie' sharing a day on Liberty Island and reminiscing
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, we need a story about what Matt's mom either being a tragic character or a basketcase and Jack fighting like hell to give Matt a good life. Of course, I'm biased; I am a big fan of Jack Murdock, over Matt's mother. Unless she is some tragic figure (died in child birth, etc.), I find her to be an adversary of my favorite comic protagonist.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:

I think Joe Q has been very careful planning this story. If you're thinking it's a continuity error, I'm guessing it's not.

Remember how the flashbacks of Jack roughing up the shop owner were later expanded to reveal the sign, etc.?

In fact, what I wanted to say is that, at first, I thought it was just a minor continuity error. But as the story went on, elements such as that one you mentioned make me suspect it isn't, and there's something more behind it.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...now we just need to find that Grace reference... I'll bet it's in DeMatteis's arc... I don't want to have to read that again. Razz
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked my copy of MWOF, and there's no trace of Grace. Jack Murdock says "Maggie..." when he's looking at the pic, just like in Father.
I wonder where did I take that one from.
innocentboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting ...
ddelafuente
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I checked MWOF and Jack did say "Maggie". I think it refers to Matts mom, Sister Maggie. And in #1 Matt did mention that Maggie was also his mother's name. It might become as a red herring or a confusion point in the story for those who's not familiar with Born Again (for introducing DD's mother) and MWOF (where Joe Q restros some scenes), they might think it might have a connection with Maggie Farrell.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knows that. The point in question now is: when was officially said, in the comics, that Matt's mom's name was Grace?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Everyone knows that. The point in question now is: when was officially said, in the comics, that Matt's mom's name was Grace?

...bump... I can't believe no one found this, yet. I flipped through a couple Nocenti issues, DeMatteis's arc and Smith's arc, all to no avail... creepy... Razz
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a sort of urban legend.
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain it was mentioned in Punisher #18 (the third series that ended with #18), but not 100% sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: