Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Ben Urich casting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bullseye11
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I wouldn't call thoman a racist. He's allowed to want a character true to the comics. I don't mind a black character playing a white character if they do a good job. I wouldn't mind a white character playing a black character if they do a good job( although I'm sure there'd unnecessarily be an outrage). What I would mind is a someone getting casted to play someone, when there are better options, just because they are a minority. That's racism in my mind. And vondie doesn't fit into that category. I'm sure hell do an amazing job. Calling thoman a racist is very extreme and unfair.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think it depends on the character. For some characters, race is important to their identity or the logic of their background. Steve Rogers was the symbol of the American military in the 1940s. It's hard to justify changing his race. T'Challa, of course, should never be changed either. He's the head of a native African tribe that predates and survived European colonization.

In Arrow, there's a character named Sin who was changed from an Asian character in the Green Arrow comics. The character was the same person in name only, though, so it's hard to analogize. Not being particularly attached to the character, I thought the change was fine. But I'd argue even her race is more central to her character than Ben Urich's.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Marcus Plato
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomam, I most certainly wasn't referring to you my friend! It seems some threads get hijacked for the sake of contoversy.
Anyone had a chance to check out any of Scott Glenn's films? IMO he's always been the best choice for Stick. I'd recommend "Backdraft", "The Challenge" and "Silence of the Lambs".
thomam
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marcus. Just figured you were talking to everyone.

I think these guys may be projecting a bit.

Scott Glenn is excellent for Stick!!
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a slightly different take on all this. I don't think thomam is being racist, but I disagree with his belief that the show would benefit by being a word for word adaption of the Daredevil comic, with 50 years of continuity, some adaption changes are inevitable.

The Dark Knight and Captain America: Winter Solider made some changes from the comics, they are not direct adaptions of any one story, but combine elements from several different stories, while throwing in new stuff as well and both of those movies worked.

I think adapting the spirit of the work is more important then trying to adapt every last detail. Owl seems to be playing a different role in this series then he does in the comics (given his age, I would assume Owl in this series is a combination of various rivals and precursors that Kingpin has dealt with).

Making Ben Urich black does not ruin the spirit of Daredevil in this series and slavish devotion to every last detail from the comics, is not in of itself a positive quality. I don't mind if this adaption makes some changes, as long as the spirit of the work is retained in this series.
thomam
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we need a word for word adaptation of the books. I never said that. For example if they did some of the Waid run I would hope quite a bit got changed Wink I just commented that I want actors cast to resemble their characters.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomam wrote:
I don't think we need a word for word adaptation of the books. I never said that. For example if they did some of the Waid run I would hope quite a bit got changed Wink I just commented that I want actors cast to resemble their characters.

Well I like I said before, they have cast an old man as Owl, but I think there is a plot reason for that (this first season seems to be about the rise of the Kingpin as well Daredevil becoming a hero, so they likely took DD's second most prominent crime boss and made him the crime boss that Kingpin displaces), so I have no problem with the casting of Ben Urich, I think having almost everyone being white in 2014/2015 is a bit unrealistic. I thought Sam Jackson did pretty good as Nick Fury, so I doubt have a problem with having a more diverse cast, as long as the actor does a good job.

This an adaption, not every detail as be exactly same as it is the comics. Ben Urich's race is simply not important to the character. Its an ultimately unimportant detail that has nothing to do with adapting the spirit of the DD mythos to a different medium. Tons of comic book adaptions changed the race of characters or even gave some minor characters a different role and a lot of those adaptions were good.
theunrealstudios
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, i am an advocate for staying as close to the source material as possible in any adaption because the material worked enough in popularity to warrant a tv show in the first place. Media always has a very short and small window of opportunity to bring characters to life and should honour old fans that kept the spirit of the stories alive but also for the new fans to get an idea of what the love is about.

It's about picking the best actor for the role possible instead of being politically correct or making the choice for some other motive. But here's the thing, i know whoever they cast will be talented as an actor. Perhaps not perfect but good enough to portray the characters essence. What i want to see is someone cast who is larger than life in a medium as close to real life as possible. You're not supposed to pick and choose what you want to exist like the negatives do not matter, especially with a character as likable and dislikable as Matt Murdock. You take the whole package as is and highlight perspectives but you don't make the other perspectives look like they never mattered.

The problem is that while in the 21st century it's important to be culturally and racially diverse (because yes the past is very white washed) i look at the perspective that it may seem rather insulting to make it a handout to an actor of another race. If racial and cultural representation was very important, than we'd see an original character of another race without being defined by a unique culture, they would just stand on their own as being enough. John Diggle from CW's Arrow is one of the best cases because the character is original, became my favorite by sheer character attributes alone and has been popular enough to be a regular now in the comics. This is how you treat racial diversity in media for supporting characters. Gender diversity? Fish Mooney in Gotham is an original female POC mob boss that is going toe to toe with famous batman characters and comes from a stance of power, awesome. Create original content as protagonists and supporting roles with unique stories. I don't actually care that Urich is another race, he'll be good but it feels like a handout compared to original content to represent if representation is important in this age, which it is. You literally could have an original rival POC lawyer in the DA office who is a villain to Murdock and a conversation like this would be unnecessary.

and no, i will not accept daredevils cultural and religious background as an excuse for safe from racial change. Say what you will about Cap and Panther, but being of Irish decent is never talked about, only subtly hinted and was primarily sourced by Miller as part of the born again "Irish catholic guilt" interview, that's about it in all these years of stories. And the catholic practice is seldom in the past 15 years of modern daredevil stories with the end of Smiths run. Once in a church basement of Bendis, virtually none in Brubaker off the top of my head, twice in Diggle, and Waid never touches upon it because there's more to the character than talking to a priest for moral guidance during confession. We've had the most secular Matt we've ever seen for years and past what a ninja and a boxer raised him with this mix of new age american/ adopting traditional japanese bushido values. He is so new age undefined by a single culture that race would be fair game for Matt too. I admit i have bias to a blue eyes, red hair Murdock but that doesn't make me racist to say i have a problem if his race was changed because it's an unnecessary change to a character of 50 years just to please other people when the character is not old fashioned and out of touch with modern times.

This issue is way too hot, uncivil and mostly affects supporting cast rather than protagonists (Johnny Storm is a rare exception) so it's very pointless to get up in arms. We all just want a great netflix series to call in sick the day of premiere and it's been long overdue.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theunrealstudios wrote:
First off, i am an advocate for staying as close to the source material as possible in any adaption because the material worked enough in popularity to warrant a tv show in the first place. Media always has a very short and small window of opportunity to bring characters to life and should honour old fans that kept the spirit of the stories alive but also for the new fans to get an idea of what the love is about.

It's about picking the best actor for the role possible instead of being politically correct or making the choice for some other motive. But here's the thing, i know whoever they cast will be talented as an actor. Perhaps not perfect but good enough to portray the characters essence. What i want to see is someone cast who is larger than life in a medium as close to real life as possible. You're not supposed to pick and choose what you want to exist like the negatives do not matter, especially with a character as likable and dislikable as Matt Murdock. You take the whole package as is and highlight perspectives but you don't make the other perspectives look like they never mattered.

The problem is that while in the 21st century it's important to be culturally and racially diverse (because yes the past is very white washed) i look at the perspective that it may seem rather insulting to make it a handout to an actor of another race. If racial and cultural representation was very important, than we'd see an original character of another race without being defined by a unique culture, they would just stand on their own as being enough. John Diggle from CW's Arrow is one of the best cases because the character is original, became my favorite by sheer character attributes alone and has been popular enough to be a regular now in the comics. This is how you treat racial diversity in media for supporting characters. Gender diversity? Fish Mooney in Gotham is an original female POC mob boss that is going toe to toe with famous batman characters and comes from a stance of power, awesome. Create original content as protagonists and supporting roles with unique stories. I don't actually care that Urich is another race, he'll be good but it feels like a handout compared to original content to represent if representation is important in this age, which it is. You literally could have an original rival POC lawyer in the DA office who is a villain to Murdock and a conversation like this would be unnecessary.

and no, i will not accept daredevils cultural and religious background as an excuse for safe from racial change. Say what you will about Cap and Panther, but being of Irish decent is never talked about, only subtly hinted and was primarily sourced by Miller as part of the born again "Irish catholic guilt" interview, that's about it in all these years of stories. And the catholic practice is seldom in the past 15 years of modern daredevil stories with the end of Smiths run. Once in a church basement of Bendis, virtually none in Brubaker off the top of my head, twice in Diggle, and Waid never touches upon it because there's more to the character than talking to a priest for moral guidance during confession. We've had the most secular Matt we've ever seen for years and past what a ninja and a boxer raised him with this mix of new age american/ adopting traditional japanese bushido values. He is so new age undefined by a single culture that race would be fair game for Matt too. I admit i have bias to a blue eyes, red hair Murdock but that doesn't make me racist to say i have a problem if his race was changed because it's an unnecessary change to a character of 50 years just to please other people when the character is not old fashioned and out of touch with modern times.

This issue is way too hot, uncivil and mostly affects supporting cast rather than protagonists (Johnny Storm is a rare exception) so it's very pointless to get up in arms. We all just want a great netflix series to call in sick the day of premiere and it's been long overdue.

But I think when are taking about a comic book series with 50 years of continuity and a fair share of retcons, adaptation changes are inevitable. I think trying to match every last detail from the comics is unimportant compared to having the show embody the spirit of the comics. Considering the actor they cast for Owl, it seems like they are changing Owl's role in this series, but is that really a big deal? I think the source material should be a source inspiration, not something that should be adhered to dogmatically. I don't think changing Ben Urich's race ruins the spirit of DD in this show. I think the show runners should have some creative freedom to interpret DD for their show.

Look at it this way, in the comics Ant Man created Ultron and in the movies it looks like tony Stark created Ultron, that is really a big deal? If these types of changes are okay for the Avengers movies, why wouldn't they be okay for this Daredevil show?
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Overlord wrote:
Ben Urich's race is simply not important to the character.

Yep. That's literally all that needs to be said.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
theunrealstudios
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Look at it this way, in the comics Ant Man created Ultronn act and in the movies it looks like tony Stark created Ultron, that is really a big deal? If these types of changes are okay for the Avengers movies, why wouldn't they be okay for this Daredevil show?

That's actually the only point i want to touch on with creative liberty. Without getting really off topic, Ultron needed to be created by the Tony Stark Saga (at least for the sake of the MCU) because the character has had the most development. We've seen what his tech has been leading to and that's independent A.I armor for world peace gone terribly wrong. Also you need to give Tony a massive case of guilt so he can take responsibility for leading Civil Wars registration act. THAT is creative liberty done very well because it escalates a hero into believably becoming a figure of fascism over several movies and it allows the timeline of movies to flow progressively with the stakes getting worse.

Could Pym just been introduced and created ultron? Absolutely, that would've honoured the comics, but the audience would have less of an emotional attatchment compared to what they've seen tony escalate to (hell, Ultron coming from a powerful iron man armour design makes sense and how his tech can get hacked by Ultron) and then Tony has no reason to lead the registration act. His character in avengers is "we are not soldiers" and screwing with the Senate in IM2 implies he's very anti-government and his character needs to change organically to being a governmental figure in the new Shield (or Hammer) from events that are his own fault. That's liberty we want to see, not political correctness.

But James is right, race shouldn't be made into a big deal. they'll all do a great job in the roles they need to play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: