Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel self-referencial-meta-surrealism, or NA#32 preview

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Marvel self-referencial-meta-surrealism, or NA#32 preview Reply with quote

(spoilers, I suppose)

Check this out, people.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=119361

You'll excuse me if I don't make any comments, but the thing has kinda... drained me of the psychological strenght to do it.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh.

All the characters should have just been saying "what about [crap plot development Bendis came up with]?". Covering bad ideas with Skrulls. It's almost genius.

For me the best bit is the one page where Echos there and Hawkeye in the Ronin costume and you're like "oh yeah, Echo is a New Avenger. And so is Hawkeye but he's Ronin". Hahaha. Wow. Such crap.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
harryhausen
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm into it - starting reading NA and MA and the Illuminati mini. Aliens are weird, I know, but I think: why not? It's a comic, aliens have always been all up in comics. I think it could be an interesting plot development and Bendis can get back on top. Just leave DD out of it.

And I love Leinil Yu's art. Of course, when I said as much I thought the guy at my LCS was gonna take a swing at me. Which I would welcome - I've got 2 inches and 20 pounds on him and I'm filled with rage. And I'm a Skrull. Or a Kree?
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harryhausen wrote:
Well, I'm into it - starting reading NA and MA and the Illuminati mini. Aliens are weird, I know, but I think: why not? It's a comic, aliens have always been all up in comics. I think it could be an interesting plot development and Bendis can get back on top. Just leave DD out of it.

It's like Joey Q's wet dream.

Why aren't you laughing?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, the problem doesn't lie in Bendis using aliens.
It lies in the absurdity of it being used as who knows what incredible plot-twist foreshadowing who knows what other BA-DA-BOOM event (this is it, Bendis and Joey Q., I'm officially sick of it, please stop pretending you have great ideas).

And there are more nonsensical elements in that preview, none of which regardin the use of aliens in itself.

- Look, readers! Goody-good-guys group of New Avengers stop to talk to each other!
- Uhm, why is that, aren't they supposed to be team-mates?
- Because they found out Elektra was a Skrull, that's why!
- And so what?
- And so anyone of them could be a skrull, don't you realize it?
- Uhm, yeah. But what's the big deal? Skrulls have been there for decades, did they need Skrull-Elektra to remember that a Skrull can impersonate anyone?

- Yeah, but look! There's more! Wolverine admits that it's weird that he's everwhere at once! Isn't that funny?
- Uh, no. It's just sad. Having him everywhere at once was already sad, per se. Having him admit in a sort of meta-fictional way is even more sad, because it shows that you writers know it and don't give a damn about it.

- Whaha! Bendis writes a funny Spider-man! Spider-woman as mysterious sexy femme-fatale! Wolverine bad-ass! Luke Cage tough black guy!
- I think I'm becoming allergic to it all. Stop portraying them as the parodies of themselves and have them develop some goddamn plot.

- But can't you feel the tension? They don't trust each other anymore! W00t!
- Well, that's understandable, considering that all together they make a very weird Avengers team, being seemingly picked at random (or worse as, a sort of "My Avengers dream team would be..." by Bendis).
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're bashing: remember when this Skrap (Skrull Crap) first broke and Bendis, in about three different but identical interviews, told everyone to look back at page two of NA #1 to see how long he'd been planning this. The "shadowy figures" on that page were apparently a hint at Skrulls.

I've haven't bought a single issue of NA but a friend of mine has the first trade which I recently took a look at. Guess what? CRAP. CRAP. Such crap. Those shadowy figures could literally be anyone. Anyone. Not only that but then being Skrulls doesn't even make sense. So the Skrulls hire Elektro to take down the super jail's electricity. Man, you know, if I were a Skrull I'd've done it different. Like by, I dunno, maybe turning into a prison technician and turning off the lights. But that's just me. The REAL Skrulls would OBVIOUSLY hire Elektro.

Why aren't you laughing?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's clearly some sort of clue.
They're following a pattern. Elektra. Electro.

I've got it! The next milestone of this "Skrap"!
Eleggua (Santerians' barefoot leader from JQ's DD:Father) is a Skrull!
harryhausen
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, it's Joey Q's whole plan - and I'm totally suckered. No sarcasm.

I read Civil War and now all this, too. They even brought me back to comics a short time ago. So, new and returning readers getting hooked and rooked. I just want to see what happens . . .

Maybe the whole plan at Marvel is not to spin quality tales, but just keep me buying . . .

Damn, it's . . . working.

Help me, fellow-posters!
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
- Whaha! Bendis writes a funny Spider-man! Spider-woman as mysterious sexy femme-fatale! Wolverine bad-ass! Luke Cage tough black guy!

This is exactly why I never bought into Bendis-is-the-best-ever bit. During his early run on DD, sure, he had some good ideas, and some good dialogue, but at the end of the day, Bendis is really a paint-by-numbers kind of writer.

His characterization of the above characters, as Francesco has written, is case in point (c'mon, we've seen it already Rolling Eyes ). Bendis has nothing on a writer like, say, Peter David, who's writing a very entertaining X-Factor right now (and he too, like Brubaker, has to step around the crap minefield the Quesada/Bendis tag team has dumped on the Marvel Universe).

rgj
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could also accept the current Skrull mysteries. Heck, it may also be a huge bluff. Maybe Bendis is soing like a prestidigitator, drawing attention to one hand while making the real trick with the other. i.e. Skrulls have nothing to do with this, the hypotetical mastermind is setting up this Skrulektra to have the heroes not trusting each other anymore.

But you know, i really hate this. Characters written according to their standard characterization, and none of them contributing to the advancement of the plot. It seems like the plot is being forcefully fed to them.
This and the other "wolvie admitting he's everywhere at once".
Heck, how could a person, in reality, have the sensation of being everywhere at once?
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm almost through reading Wolverine Vol. 1 and I can't help but feel that this Skrullelekta situation is deja vu all over again. Last week when I read Wolverine 145, I found out that Logan had been replaced by a Skrull, which to me, seemed forced and also to be a too convenient way for the writer, in this case Erik Larsen, to explain previous mischaracterizations and plotlines that he couldn't resolve. It seemed like crap in Wolverine and it seems like crap in NA. Now maybe, we'll be blown away by where Bendis takes this, but even I am starting to lose hope, and I have been a huge BMB supporter up to this point. The lineup in NA has characters that I have been a big fan of in the past, but will somebody please convince me to drop Mighty Avengers before I hurt myself.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilan wrote:
So I'm almost through reading Wolverine Vol. 1 and I can't help but feel that this Skrullelekta situation is deja vu all over again.

I will always feel that Bendis's uberarch of outing DD in the papers is a quite direct lift off Chichester's story in which DD gets outed in the papers, Fall from Grace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: