Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Kingpin . . . again?!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Kingpin . . . again?!? Reply with quote

Ok, so Murdock springs Kingpin on the condition that he leaves the country. I don't have the issue in front of me, but didn't they say he also had his American citizenship revoked or something to that extent?

Now, I know KP's appearance in the Spider-Man story is being played out prior to release, so I guess I can allow that one if I have to. --BUT WHAT ON EARTH IS HE DOING SHOWING UP IN RUNAWAYS AFTER REGISTRATION HAS BEGUN?!?!?!?!?!?

I have just felt that Fisk is overused at the moment. If they find a way to remove him from the equation (as Bru had done) -why on Earth don't they stick with it?

Sorry. Just needed to rant and get it out of my system.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingpin may be overexposed in DD (I personally don't think he is but I can see how others do). He is not, however, overexposed in Runaways. You can't "rant" about a character being overexposed in one book, removed from that book and then...gasp...showing up in an entirely unrelated book. It just doesn't make any sense.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz

Did Runaways explain Fisk's presence in the U.S.A. despite having his citizenship revoked? Sure, if Fisk wanted to get back into the U.S., getting a fake passport would be the least of his concerns. However, I got the impression that he really didn't want to return...

Not to take another stab at Marvel but right now, I don't think accurate characterization is even on Marvel editorial's radar.
the truebeliever
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really takes me out of the whole marvel universe experience. When you events that don't add up. Joss Whedon is a wonderful writer and I love his work on Astonishing X-Men (I'm going to miss him on that series after this arc) but he made a big mistake with this first issue of this arc in The Runaways.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the truebeliever wrote:
That really takes me out of the whole marvel universe experience. When you events that don't add up. Joss Whedon is a wonderful writer and I love his work on Astonishing X-Men (I'm going to miss him on that series after this arc) but he made a big mistake with this first issue of this arc in The Runaways.

What? Joss' Runaways story doesn't fit neatly within the ongoing Marvel U? My, my...that's just like....his Astonishing arc. Both House of M and Civil War have happened during Astonishing. Both events, in theory, effect the X-Men. You should as hell wouldn't know it from reading Astonishing though. Joss says he's "walking between the raindrops". I call it ignoring.

Of course, I'm all for it. Joss is telling cool stories and if he wants to or has to turn his back on Marvel U contiunity writ large then I say go for it. Complaining that Kingpin showed up in Runaways is ridiculously nit picky. Saying you love Astonishing while saying that Joss not falling in line with Daredevil in Runaways is a big mistake is just silly.

Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The age old question: blame the writer or blame editorial?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a writer's job to read every book Marvel puts out, and make sure his/her story meshes with each of them. That's the editor's job. If Marvel is indeed a universe, as Stan Lee intended it to be, than ultimately Quesada as Editor-in-Chief, is responsible for maintaining it. I could be wrong though. Looking at the Kingpin showing up in Runaways, and Neilan's example of New Avengers/Fallen Son in the "head shaking" thread, I'm not sure I know what Quesada does at Marvel.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the love everything that is holy it's Joss. If he wants to bring uncle Ben back Joey Q better green light it in record time. I dislike continuity concerns at the best of times. Demanding that every Marvel book, no matter how unrelated, be consistent with each other would accomplish little other than boxing in creators. I'm all for Avengers titles being consitent with each other and having the X-Men family make sense but Daredevil and Runaways? Comon.

Why aren't you laughing?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm not as liberal as James about this, because I've never really paid much attentiont to Joss Whedon, but I would imagine that eventually every story proposal has to make it's way to Quesada, and that it's his job to keep in mind everything that's going on the the cockamamie universe. If a writer, be they Joss Whedon or Bob Gale wanted to bring the Kingpin at this point in time into their story, they would have to let the editorial board know their intentions. Than Quesada would have to inform them why that would be impossible. I don't blame Whedon for anything. I've heard all his stuff rocks. But it would seem that Quesada has a job to do, and he is just not doing it.

Last edited by Dimetre on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sandman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-When I started this off I didn't intend to come off as someone being nitpicky over Whedon's work. -Far from it. After Fisk appeared in Bendis's run a few times and then in Devil in Cell Block D, I felt that removing Fisk from the equation was a good move.

Now, I'm realistic. I don't expect Kingpin to be gone forever. But for the moment it allows for exploration of Matt's problems without the reader wondering at length what Fisk must be up to.

Yet two months after being banished from US soil, he's back.
My complaint is that Fisk's appearance in another book (whether or not Whedon is the writer) takes away the power and meaning to the resolution that Bru had given us.

It boils down to the fact that the lack of decent editing has defaced Bru's work, which I have been totally enjoying. If it weren't for DD and Iron Fist, I think I'd be done with Marvel for good. -And how often have I heard THAT statement uttered on various boards lately???
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
Maybe I'm not as liberal as James about this, because I've never really paid much attentiont to Joss Whedon, but I would imagine that eventually every story proposal has to make it's way to Quesada, and that it's job to keep in mind everything that's going on the the cockamamie universe. If a writer, be they Joss Whedon or Bob Gale wanted to bring the Kingpin at this point in time into their story, they would have to let the editorial board know their intentions. Than Quesada would have to inform them why that would be impossible. I don't blame Whedon for anything. I've heard all his stuff rocks. But it would seem that Quesada has a job to do, and he is just not doing it.

Amen, brother Exclamation

Quote:
My complaint is that Fisk's appearance in another book (whether or not Whedon is the writer) takes away the power and meaning to the resolution that Bru had given us.

It boils down to the fact that the lack of decent editing has defaced Bru's work, which I have been totally enjoying.

I couldn't agree more.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I don't think it's a writer's job to read every book Marvel puts out, and make sure his/her story meshes with each of them. That's the editor's job. If Marvel is indeed a universe, as Stan Lee intended it to be, than ultimately Quesada as Editor-in-Chief, is responsible for maintaining it. I could be wrong though. Looking at the Kingpin showing up in Runaways, and Neilan's example of New Avengers/Fallen Son in the "head shaking" thread, I'm not sure I know what Quesada does at Marvel.

Well said! This is especially so considering that these stories are thought up many months before they are printed and released. So, if Joss came up with this idea, last fall, then how is he to know what the status of the Kingpin will be by the time the Runaways story sees print? Editorial should be there to juggle all those balls up in the air. E.g. In October, Joss pitches using Fisk in Runaways for a story to be released in April. Editorial checks who else is using Fisk, finds out its Brubaker over in DD (big suprise) and that by April, Fisk will be out of the country and in no mood to return. So, editorial goes back to Joss and says pick another villain. ...Isn't that how it should work? That is a major part of what editorial is there for.

It's like Marvel has extended the "Marvel method" from artists doing the writer's job to writer's doing editorial's job and editorial is doing marketing's job. Razz
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I had read something about this continuity issue and I found it finally... I think this was from one of the Joe Fridays, but I found it posted on another site:

If Wilson Fisk is currently permanently expelled from U.S. soil according to the recent Daredevil arc, how is he operating as the Kingpin in the recent Runaways preview? I’ll assume Runaways now takes place post-Civil War, so I’m a little befuddled by this. Especially if the Hood is soon to be taking a rise to power. Did someone not give Whedon the memo?

JQ: Joss definitely got the memo, Mundungus...and read it. Runaways is post-Civil War and in continuity. We talked it all over with Brubaker (who is a gentleman, a scholar and Kristin Bell’s #1 fantasy) and he was cool with it.

Here’s how it works: just because you quit something doesn’t mean that you’re easily extricated from it. He’s in NY wrapping up some loose ends that he had to deal with. It’s only temporary. You’ll see a reference to current Daredevil continuity in Runaways #26. The Runaways have been on the run during the whole "Fisk in prison" stuff and contacted him through channels set up when their parents were in charge of the LA criminal underground. A lot of this will become clearer as the story goes on, true believer.

Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We talked it all over with Brubaker (who is a gentleman, a scholar and Kristin Bell’s #1 fantasy) and he was cool with it.

And that was apparently enough for Mister Editor in Chief. If a book turs out to have plotlines that contradict major events going on in other mainstream books, the only thing an EiC has to do is ask the current writer of said book if he's cool with it.

Quote:
A lot of this will become clearer as the story goes on, true believer.

Sure, Quesada. No problem (the appellative of "true believer" in this context kinda disquiets me, though) .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: