Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Issue #73

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Issue 72:
great
83%
 83%  [ 10 ]
terrible
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Issue #73 Reply with quote

I didn't see a thread. My thought is that this arc continues to make me more and more excited for a new writer. I figure by the end of Decalouge, I'll be begging for even Bob Gale or Nocenti to return. Then, I'll bet the Murdock Papers will have me sad that Bendis is leaving.
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like the same overused safe story arcs over and over again? Chances are you don't because then you'd read Batman and think DareDevil is too dark.

You come to DareDevil because of its tone. It's not more dark. It's more real and any accompanying darkness is because reality itself is darker than your average comic book. There's still a superdude in it and lots of superstuff still happens. But it's more realistic in its superness.

"Decalogue" is Bendis turning the super down so low it's almost not there. These are a group of regular people sitting in a room talking about their interaction with super. So it's as realistic as you can get and still have a blind guy swinging around wearing a devil costume.

And I understand that's a real disconnect for a lot of fans. They want to follow the main character and have him do superthings. But I think Bendis has earned the right to take risks and try new material and approaches after guiding DareDevil through the second most important period in the character's history.

If you want the same regular Bendis DareDevil plotlines, then "Decalogue" is not for you. If you are interested in letting Bendis expand the possibility of the title and do something well which is rarely done at all, then you're probably loving "Decalogue". I know I am.
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose great... but you know the poll is labeled 72?

www.UltimateCentral.com
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, Daredevil has always been very understated (i.e. less over-the-top and less flamboyant) in a genre that is anything but. And in that, "Decalogue" has been a very subdued, much more quiet arc in this series.

And, personally, I quite like it. A lot.

People knew, going in, that it would be a bit of a departure from, both, current continuity and typical superhero storytelling. They knew that at this arc's quiet core would be a support group at a chuch discussing about Daredevil. That's it. Plain and simple. But with in that simplistic framework, it lends itself to what Bendis does very, very well. And that is strong characterization, sparkling dialogue and delving into the dank, dark grittiness of a world that he, frankly, helped expand upon in his past work in this run.

And then, there is Alex Maleev's artwork. And, honestly, I don't think I have ever seen it better. And John Stewart's coloring greatly adds to the mood. Visually, this arc is very rich. But where the artwork states its claim (as it has been the case throughout this Bendis/Maleev run) is in the quiet moments.... the dialogue, the awkward silence between that dialogue. Alex Maleev's artwork, since DD#26 had never been overly dynamic with the action scenes. They come off being stiff given the action Alex is trying to portray. (and people have been up in arms about it because, one, superhero comics hang their hats on action and violence, and two, people are griping that there isn't enough the advertized action/violence in this title). The truth of the matter is the action and violence is selective (for a more recent example of this, take another look at the recent "Golden Age" arc). And there also remains the fact that Alex Maleev has improved at illustrating believable action with the few moments in this arc (compare it to the action scenes during the early issues in this run). The action is more fluid and much less stiff. Still, the stiffness is present, but much less so compared to other depicted moments earlier in this run.

The story is, again, predicated on a group of people discussing Daredevil. That premis offers a very Chaucerian stage, where different people offer different stories (that may or may not overlap); but still offer an everday person's point of view of the character and the events in that character's world that had not previously been tapped into in the past. Granted, it's not everyone is used to.... but, again, people knew what they were getting into with this arc before it even began.

There is building tension between the members of this specific support group, and within that the interaction of the indiviuals are well done and quite delicious. There is the growing intrigue of who the guy in the baseball hat (who is hidden in the word baloons and the shadows that fall over his face from his ball cap (who I am almost willing to wager is Matt Murdock, himself, incognito, or perhaps even Foggy, it's difficult to pic up on this character's body shape... but I am not confident enough to state such a claim... and, yes, he did show up occassionally in the background previous issues in this arc, as well, and not just DD#73) and, of course, the agenda and identity of the arrogant, flamboyant guy who claims to "know Matt Murdock's secrets" and is harboring his own, as well. Besides, I AM willing to wager, however, the elderly man with the priest collar will be featured in the next issue as the events of Matt and Milla's quiet marriage will be discussed, as he was (Im imagining) the priest that actually married the two.

This arc is, primarily, Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev playing to their respective strengths.

Sure, there are flaws (I won't argue that); and then there was my whole expectation of Matt Murdock's catholicism being more examined (esspecially given the bombastic covers that Alex Maleev had designed for this arc), but all-in-all, "Decalogue" has been a very well written, a very well illustrated arc. It may not be everyone's cup o' joe, but I, personally, am enjoying it a great deal.
Goddess0Whim
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoying...lots.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was a good continuation of the arc: certainly the first issue that suggested a real direction over and above a series of loosely connected stories. I'm not familiar with the Jester, so I don't know if he could be connected to the weird baby-demon thing? But I'm interested to see where this goes.

SBC slugfest review here:

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/111679890559284.htm
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:
I thought this was a good continuation of the arc: certainly the first issue that suggested a real direction over and above a series of loosely connected stories. I'm not familiar with the Jester, so I don't know if he could be connected to the weird baby-demon thing? But I'm interested to see where this goes.

SBC slugfest review here:

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/111679890559284.htm

Enjoyed the review Dave, well put.

You've convinced me to buy the issue. Wink
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
Enjoyed the review Dave, well put.

You've convinced me to buy the issue. Wink

Cool. Bendis owes me.
noypi-me
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far ive been enoying the current arc quite a bit. it's different from most, but this unique kind of story telling in a superhero book is hard find. and i'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

...are you talking to me..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: