Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Saladin Ahmed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Saladin Ahmed Reply with quote

So, how excited are people for Saladin Ahmed taking over the writing reins on Daredevil?

The only thing I've read from him was the first trade paperback from his run on Black Bolt. It was fine. It won an Eisner, which may have raised my expectations for it too high, and I'm not a big Inhumans fan, but there were things about it I liked. Ahmed could be okay. I'm not as excited as I was when Ed Brubaker was taking over, but that's hard to match.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked his Black Bolt run. Since it involved a space prison, there was a decent amount of conversation about incarceration, using Carl Creel as an example of reform. I think that fits well with the ethos of Daredevil and what Zdarsky was writing. Other than that, I'll be cautiously optimistic, but we'll have to see.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Checchetto will definitely be missed.

The writing and story have nowhere to go but up in my opinion. The praise this current run has gotten continues to confound me. Whenever I see Zdarsky called "one of the greatest" or mentioned in the same breath as Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, or even Waid, who I had many issues with... It's like seeing Michael Bay grouped with Spielberg, Coppola, Scorsese, or the Coens.

So, I'm moderately excited to see where Mr. Ahmed takes the character, what little there is left of the character I love.

I just hope Matt is no longer a religious zealot like Zdarsky turned him into. Kevin Smith's Matt was an atheist compared to this nonsense.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not thrilled about a costume change out of nowhere. All this stuff hyping a white Daredevil costume reminds me too much of when the Charles Soule and Ron Garney changed the costume to black with no explanation for two years. If there is a valid in-story explanation for the change, I can accept it, but if it's a cheap way to get attention, it will only annoy me.

I don't think Zdarsky portrayed Matt as a religious zealot, but simply as a practising Catholic, and those roots go all the way back to Tony Isabella's short run in the 70s, so that's established canon.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt specifically mentions God ten times in the latest issue alone while wielding glowing blades he pulled out of his own head. Yes, he's in Hell battling the Beast and this new sister of the Beast that Zdarksy pulled out of his ass, but its a little much.

Throughout this entire run it's been constant repetitive references to God. God, sinning, going to confession, "I'm gods holy warrior.", "God sent his guardian angel to guide my life", "I'm an instrument of god!" "God's the reason I became Daredevil."

No, this is not the same as Matt occasionally going to confession, or dwelling too much on guilt, or praying.

But then I'm reminded that every Daredevil story before 2020 happened to a different version of Matt Murdock. This new version that Chip created can be a more fanatical Catholic because he had a completely different life than the one we've all read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: