Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Which Villains Should Appear in the Daredevil TV series?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Which Villains Should Appear in the Daredevil TV series? Reply with quote

Which Villains Should Appear in the Daredevil TV series? There are the obvious ones, like Kingpin, Bullseye, the Hand, Typhoid Mary and Elektra (though she is supposed to be more of an anti hero).

Are there any other villains you think should show up? Are there any villains that shouldn't show up?
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Fear Purple Man(though he'll probably be saved for Alias )Nuke Owl Palidin and a more darker version of the Jester
the gael
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villains that had to appear with the one you said : The Owl and Mister Fear (Cranston)

That I would like to see : Purple Man, Bushwacker, Bullet and Deathstalker, maybe Ikari

That I don't want to see : The old school, silly ones, that are out of tone with a dark universe (Matador, Leap Frog, need we really a CGI costly Stilt Man in all his silliness ?)
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking one villain that DD never really fought, but should have is a corrupt lawyer. Sure he may have occasional had to deal with one of Kingpin's interchangeable slimy mouth pieces in court, but no one really developed, as an ongoing character.

Cranston could easily be a corrupt lawyer that Matt has to deal with on a regular basis, he started out as a lawyer and a class mate of Matt's from University and in his second story arc seemed intent on making a mockery of the justice system just to get back at Matt. Cranston could either be leading a double life as Mr. fear or become Mr. Fear after Matt exposes his illegal activities. But having Cranston be a corrupt lawyer lets him fit into an ongoing story arc.

I also think Owl will be needed for the eventual gang war story they wold have to do. Owl can make a good counter point to the Kingpin, Kingpin is cool and in control, while Owl is hot tempered and willing to commit violence the drop of a hat. Owl is more of a developed character then Kingpin's lieutenants in "The Kingpin Must Die" story, the lieutenants can play a role (maybe one of them is secretly working for the Owl).

Purple Man is far more important to Jessica Jones then DD at this point, I suppose he could show up first in the DD show and then show up in the Jessica Jones show, but that is not necessary, he could show up in the Jessica Jones show without appearing in the DD show.

I wonder if guys like Bushwacker and Mr. Hyde could work on a TV budget, likewise with Deathstalker. I wonder if Deathstalker is bit too outlandish and sci fi if the series is doing gritty crime noir stories. It depends on the tone of show.

You could have Kingpin have hired guns besides Bullseye, Elektra and Typhoid Mary. You have Bullet or even the Gael.

I also wouldn't changing some villains in other ways, the Wildboys, instead of being two street punks, could be an entire gang that DD deals with, who work as low level agents that work Kingpin.

I also wonder how could you do a darker version of the Jester, without having him feel like a Joker knock off.

I also think Gladiator would be important, his redemption story could be a minor story arc.
Bullseye11
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If like to see mr Fear, purple man, gladiator, mr Hyde, jester, and death stalker.

I wouldn't mind silly villains like Leap Frog or The Matador if they had brief appearances or were awesomeified like Batroc in Winter Soldier.

As for Anti heroes, I'd like to see paladin and and punisher.
Marcus Plato
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was going to be a longer running show, it could be interesting to introduce Micah Synn and the Kinjorge Tribe. For those (probably younger) readers who haven't read this arc, the descendants of English explorers who get shipwrecked are discovered and brought back to NY. This story REALLY freaked me out as a kid, because Synn was an evil s.o.b. who got away with it for most of the run.
Of course the Gael would also be a natural choice, except the political backdrop of his story has changed over time.
AS LONG AS WE GET FISK AND BULLSEYE, I'M HAPPY!!!
the gael
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Overlord wrote:
I was thinking one villain that DD never really fought, but should have is a corrupt lawyer. Sure he may have occasional had to deal with one of Kingpin's interchangeable slimy mouth pieces in court, but no one really developed, as an ongoing character.

Cranston could easily be a corrupt lawyer that Matt has to deal with on a regular basis, he started out as a lawyer and a class mate of Matt's from University and in his second story arc seemed intent on making a mockery of the justice system just to get back at Matt. Cranston could either be leading a double life as Mr. fear or become Mr. Fear after Matt exposes his illegal activities. But having Cranston be a corrupt lawyer lets him fit into an ongoing story arc.

I also think Owl will be needed for the eventual gang war story they wold have to do. Owl can make a good counter point to the Kingpin, Kingpin is cool and in control, while Owl is hot tempered and willing to commit violence the drop of a hat. Owl is more of a developed character then Kingpin's lieutenants in "The Kingpin Must Die" story, the lieutenants can play a role (maybe one of them is secretly working for the Owl).

Purple Man is far more important to Jessica Jones then DD at this point, I suppose he could show up first in the DD show and then show up in the Jessica Jones show, but that is not necessary, he could show up in the Jessica Jones show without appearing in the DD show.

I wonder if guys like Bushwacker and Mr. Hyde could work on a TV budget, likewise with Deathstalker. I wonder if Deathstalker is bit too outlandish and sci fi if the series is doing gritty crime noir stories. It depends on the tone of show.

You could have Kingpin have hired guns besides Bullseye, Elektra and Typhoid Mary. You have Bullet or even the Gael.

I also wouldn't changing some villains in other ways, the Wildboys, instead of being two street punks, could be an entire gang that DD deals with, who work as low level agents that work Kingpin.

I also wonder how could you do a darker version of the Jester, without having him feel like a Joker knock off.

I also think Gladiator would be important, his redemption story could be a minor story arc.

You're compléta l'y right on Cranston. He Is the perfect opposite to Matt : a corrupt layer who instill fear in innocent people.

I have forgotten the poor old Melvin, shame on me. We need him, both a tragic, dangerous, sympathie tic and classic DD villain.

As for villain " too expensive ", well, the more I thing of it, the more I think That bushwacker Is possible with prosthetics. Deathstalker is Not expensive at all. You don't need any CGI at all for a " ghost effect ", it's the oldest editing trick ever.

Yes, on the other hand, Mister Hyde can be tricky. Because he Is kinda the Hulk on a smaller scale. so you Either need one actor for Calvin Zabo and a wrestler like the Edge for Mister Hyde, or you need a full CGI mister Hyde. Yes, expensive, very.

As for Deathstalker, well, he needs an update, but Is he really so out of place in the world of a blond crimefighter with a radar sense or a flying mobster ? He Is one of the Few really unique foe of Daredevil. Mister Fear looks like the scarecrow, the Owl looks like the pingouin, and the Jester, if revamped to be darker, would be a complete joker rip off.

What define Matt ? What make him relatable ? His job ( unlike rich playboy like Oliver Queen, Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark, What is more grounded That a lawyer ? ), the fact That his powers doesn't make him a superhuman but a " more human Guy That the normal Guy " and the fact That he defend poor people and protect the local area of HelÄşs kitchen instead of global scale villains. What Is the interest of superhero stores if everyone Is " normal " ?

We need relatable characters, Not realistic characters because DD Is Not realistic at all.

We don't need realistic supervillains in the MCU, we need villains That can be relatable, dangerous, unique, and adaptable in a very dark, serious, pulp noir and street level story. Can a mad scientist who blame Matt for his condition fit both the MCU and the Bill ? Yes, for me. He even looks like a masked philip marlowe
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if she counts as a villain, but I'd love to see Echo in the show. She's one of my favorite characters in DD's canon.

Also, this might seem like an odd choice considering he's only a minor supporting villain, but I also really like Eric Slaughter. He should appear in the same capacity as in the comics, playing a support role in a gang war storyline.
daredevil20
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see the Hand appear in the television series too but also the chaste as they are the good guys. I'd like to be a chaste ninja.
GratefulFred
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though DD has tons of good enemies, the medium is still television, and there are 3 other characters needing to fit into the mix. If I had to narrow down DD into 4 initial episodes it would be to start where it should mirroring issue #168 with the intro of Elektra. The story can flashback to Elektra's father's death and those college days where both Foggy and, as suggested before Cranson a.k.a Mr. Fear are part of his social network. Old fashion low level thugs for episode 1 The more Turk running through Josie's windows - the better. The 2nd show should get Matt in the courtroom whereas in costume he goes up against the Owl's thugs. Mr. Fear could show up in 3 but gets away. In 4 DD almost catches this mysterious Kingpin who's identity remains secret. Elektra should be behind the scenes until the end where the cliffhanger has her die at Matt's doorstep. Bullseye should be part of the last episode and Kingpin's identity is still hidden and he is the villian to all the Defenders. Everyone on this board will want this series to be successful leading to a Defenders movie. Outside of the other members of the Defenders Matt's secret identity stays a secret !!!
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as Bullseye isn't based on Colin Farrell's look of a bullseye carved into his forehead. Never liked that look.

Why not go for something borrowed, something new? Borrow some elements from DC's Vigilante, Adrian Chase who was a judge but operated as a vigilante as well. For a season-spanning story arc, Matt could be working on a trial overseen by a judge who is a vigilante himself. They clash at night in their costumed identities for Matt could be looking to help clear his client while the judge is looking for cold evidence to support his own brand of justice. Their fights overlap into the courtroom, influencing the trial's outcome at season's end when Matt learns it's the judge he's been going against all along. It's possible corruption of the justice system, is Matt's client innocent or guilty, and Matt's angst in trying to resolve it all neatly.
daredevil20
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: The rest of the casting ideas I hope they go with Reply with quote

Jessica Simpson as Karen Page

Hugh Dancy as Zeb Killgrave/Purple Man

Stone Cold Steve Austin as Melvin Potter/Gladiator

Morena Baccarin as Elektra

Steven Seagal or Don “The Dragon” Wilson (played neon gang leader in Batman Forever that Dick Grayson took on before becoming Robin) as Stick

Donnie Yen as Jonin leader of the hand

Michael Chicklis as Stone

Judson Mills (played Ranger Francis Cage on Walker Texas Ranger) as Claw

Clarence Gilyard Junior (TV’s Walker Texas Ranger as Ranger James Trivette) as Shaft

Nelly the rap guy as Turk Barrett

Danielle Harris as Typhoid Mary

Jason Statham as Bullseye

Clarence Gilyard Junior (TV’s Walker Texas Ranger as Ranger James Trivette) as Shaft

Bullseye11
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkdevil wrote:
As long as Bullseye isn't based on Colin Farrell's look of a bullseye carved into his forehead. Never liked that look.

Why not go for something borrowed, something new? Borrow some elements from DC's Vigilante, Adrian Chase who was a judge but operated as a vigilante as well. For a season-spanning story arc, Matt could be working on a trial overseen by a judge who is a vigilante himself. They clash at night in their costumed identities for Matt could be looking to help clear his client while the judge is looking for cold evidence to support his own brand of justice. Their fights overlap into the courtroom, influencing the trial's outcome at season's end when Matt learns it's the judge he's been going against all along. It's possible corruption of the justice system, is Matt's client innocent or guilty, and Matt's angst in trying to resolve it all neatly.

There is in fact a corrupt judge (sort of) in silver age DD. The Tribune was some super far right movie star that murdered hippies, carried a large gavel that shot lasers, and killed a judge so he could be the judge of the hippies trial that he framed them in. He was only in two issues but with a little tweaking he could easily become a corrupt judge that was a vigilante and fought DD. I recommend you read those two issues( if you haven't already). That story is one of my favorite silver age DD stories.

I hated the Collin Farrel version of Bullseye too. One of my least favorite things about that movie.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The rest of the casting ideas I hope they go with Reply with quote

daredevil20 wrote:
Jessica Simpson as Karen Page

Hugh Dancy as Zeb Killgrave/Purple Man

Stone Cold Steve Austin as Melvin Potter/Gladiator

Morena Baccarin as Elektra

Steven Seagal or Don “The Dragon” Wilson (played neon gang leader in Batman Forever that Dick Grayson took on before becoming Robin) as Stick

I don't agree with a lot of your casting choices, but I do think its important to discuss villain casting in this thread.

So I will ask the thread, of the villains who have not been cast, who would you cast?

Kingpin has already been cast, but what about Bullseye, Mr. Fear, Owl, etc?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Daredevil should focus on doing their villains well. If that means having fewer of them, then so be it. My hope is the show has faith that they can have a second season. For example, if the Kingpin falls from power this season (I don't think he'll be defeated for good, of course), the next season could have a power vacuum. In that vacuum, there's room for people like The Owl (who always crawls out of the shadows in an attempt to take over the underworld whenever the Kingpin isn't in charge). It could also be a good opportunity to introduce Typhoid Mary who basically started similarly as someone who was killing off low-level drug dealers and could be mistaken as a participant in this struggle for power (although she was really just doing it for fun).

The one character I'll mention is Gladiator. I really want Melvin Potter in the story, first as a threat, then as a redemption story. It's really the clearest story to show both Matt Murdock as a lawyer and his philosophy as a character. He gets pushed to extremes and lives in a violent world, but he's also capable of compassion and forgiveness and wants a world where justice and the law prevails. If that means proving that someone like Melvin Potter isn't responsible for their own actions, that's something he views as worthwhile.

I also think Cranston as Mr. Fear is a great idea for similar reasons. It's important not to forget Matt Murdock the lawyer in the middle of this show about Daredevil the superhero.

ETA: I do want to say a few words on Bullseye. The MCU has not been afraid to show heroes in costumes. They've realized the audience is capable of accepting that. But, with the exception of Loki, they have not embraced villains in costumes. For the most part, they could be right (and, fortunately, most of Daredevil's villains have outfits that fit well into the real world). But Bullseye is an exception. His blue outfit stands in contrast to Daredevil's red. Plus, he's nuts. I have no problem if they tone down the white on the costume or give him a darker shade of blue or anything like that, but Bullseye has to embrace the absurdity. It's part of his image and his personality. At a minimum, they owe the fans at least an attempt to pull off the costume through screen tests. In my opinion, if they cast the right actor who can pull of his menace, no one will be distracted by what he's wearing.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: