Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

various questions during the bendis run

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theunrealstudios
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: various questions during the bendis run Reply with quote

just a few things i'd like cleared up *SPOILER ALERT*:

1) in "king of hells" when Matt is offered the nomination for Mayor of New York what happened? there is no further talk (to my recollection in the bendis run and in the future stories) so what happened did he just ignore it? didn't want to be mayor? i know going to jail pretty much ruined murdocks good name but still.

2) what made the FBI director do a 180 on murdock in "the murdock paper"? At first he's calling him a hero and a good guy telling everyone to leave him alone and then by the end of bendis's run he's so convinced he wants his head on a stick. He seemed like a good guy. possible answer: was it matts actions during the 1 year war on crime that pissed off the FBI director?

3) when hells kitchen has a meeting in the basement of the church about Daredevil and their thoughts on him in "decologue", what is underlying message of Matt's speech to them? specifically on the part when he talks about dressing up like a devil. why does he dress up like a devil? he never clearly states it (at least to me).

i think that's pretty much it, if you can answer that'd be great, thanks. i'd appreciate it Smile
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) During that time, Matt had done much for Hell's Kitchen also in his civilian identity, proactively helping to make a better place for people to live in (which was an interesting concept on Bendis' part I might add). This had increased his popularity among the people, to the point that he was offered the chance to run for mayor. Matt refused and, as is often the case, this popularity faded and it was all forgotten.
And somehow people elected J.J. Jameson (heck, people electing the worst jerks happens quite often in real life).

2) That is explained because they are actually different persons, even though Maleev has drawn them very similar. The first one, and more understanding and compassionate towards Daredevil, is Mr Davis, a sort of department chief for agents Driver and Del Toro. The other one, who appears only in "The Murdock Papers" and in Brubaker's run, is FBI director Leland Drummond.
Their resemblance has puzzled everyone at first, including myself.

3) Not sure what you mean. Could you be more specific?
qtmxd
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the answer about the FBI Director. I've been wondering that for years.
Great as Bendis's run was, I looks like he actually just dropped certain storylines (e.g., I don't think he ever mentioned the lawsuit again, although Brubaker or Diggle said he won it)
theunrealstudios
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Great as Bendis's run was, I looks like he actually just dropped certain storylines (e.g., I don't think he ever mentioned the lawsuit again, although Brubaker or Diggle said he won it)

he did win it, if you read "king of hells kitchen" it explains in exposition dialogue from Ben Urich that they didn't settle for any amount and won the 400 million dollar lawsuit. They then took that money and spent every last penny on restoring hells kitchen with new businesses, a new library etc. (although i assume some of it went to certain charity/s for the blind handicapped.) Bendis (for the most part) still has had the best run for DD
qtmxd
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, and I agree about Bendis's run being the best. He did the most complex super hero stories that I've ever read with DD and Alias . it says something about the depths of his writing that I could have missed a detail like that. And it's a reminder why I've found so much of his Avengers writing disappointing. It's like, skip all that complexity and incidental character dialogue. Just do Spider-Man shtick and double-page explosions.
theunrealstudios
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed i've only cared for his writing in ultimate spiderman and Daredevil (haven't read Alias) but from what i read in small quantities and hear about his writing in Avengers alot of fans are dissapointed.
qtmxd
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally don't push anything, but read Alias. Especially if you're a DD fan, his take on Purple Man is brilliant and scary.
Ultimate Spider-Man isn't to my taste, but I admit it's great writing about teenage life, and shows a huge range from DD.
theunrealstudios
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if Alias is the story where we really see purple man as the sick #@%$ he is

*spoiler alert*

he tortures jessica jones (Luke Cages wife)

then i've heard of it but haven't read it. what's Alias classified under for that trade?
qtmxd
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was originally published in 4 volumes as Aiias, of which the Purple Man arc was Volume 4, though all are worth reading. I think they were also compiled together in an expensive volume. Most aren't in a current printing on Amazon, but should still be available second-hand.
It all takes place before the marriage to Luke Cage, and ends as that marriage is impending. Bendis then unfortunately diminished her in the Avengers. And yes, Killgrave is a psycho sex fiend, and as jaded as a man who can have anything he wants would be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: