Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

What is Daredevils costume made out of?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theunrealstudios
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: What is Daredevils costume made out of? Reply with quote

beyond the explanation of "The costume is lined with a meticulously woven micro-mesh steel fiber. God bless Reed Richards"-D:GD, does anyone know what it is made out of before he had help? leather? spandex? whatever material you'd use to make a wetsuit? some other material? thanks.
AP
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: What is Daredevils costume made out of? Reply with quote

theunrealstudios wrote:
beyond the explanation of "The costume is lined with a meticulously woven micro-mesh steel fiber. God bless Reed Richards"-D:GD, does anyone know what it is made out of before he had help? leather? spandex? whatever material you'd use to make a wetsuit? some other material? thanks.

Most people assume spandex because spandex is skintight and comes in bright solid colors. "Spandex" as it's often referred to it is basically 80% nylon, 20% spandex and stretches 4 ways so it can fit skintight. However, In DD#1 (Vol. 1) and DD Yellow, they explicitly state he made his yellow costume from his father's old boxing robe, shoes and under gloves. The robe and gloves would have probably been made of satin nylon. It's hard to believe he would make such a skintight costume out of 100% nylon since it wouldn't stretch as needed and therefore wouldn't be very comfortable. But hey, it's comics, it doesn't have to make sense. I'd put my money on spandex.
theunrealstudios
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: What is Daredevils costume made out of? Reply with quote

AP wrote:

Most people assume spandex because spandex is skintight and comes in bright solid colors. "Spandex" as it's often referred to it is basically 80% nylon, 20% spandex and stretches 4 ways so it can fit skintight. However, In DD#1 (Vol. 1) and DD Yellow, they explicitly state he made his yellow costume from his father's old boxing robe, shoes and under gloves. The robe and gloves would have probably been made of satin nylon. It's hard to believe he would make such a skintight costume out of 100% nylon since it wouldn't stretch as needed and therefore wouldn't be very comfortable. But hey, it's comics, it doesn't have to make sense. I'd put my money on spandex.

okay cool so in the movie it's shown as a red almost maroon and people said it wasn't like the comics (along with the leather), what shade of red is the costume in the comics? blood red? rufous? lava? crimson? i know it gets into specifics like who's inking at the time but are you sapposed to be able to see DD at night (bright red) like how moon knight wants to be seen comming to freighten them or is it a dark red almost like a black so he can blend into the shadows?
AP
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, DD has been called the Scarlet Swashbuckler on occasion, mostly during DD's more carefree days in the 60's. I wouldn't say it's a dark red.

Some people honestly think it's burgundy, which makes no sense. No one thinks burgundy when they think of a devil. I recall a few covers around Brubaker's run where it looked burgundy, but those are covers which frequently take liberties with the costume. I liked those covers, but they shouldn't be used as an indicator of the characters colors for reasons listed above. Okay, end rant.

Only in the last few years have they really made the red darker, around Brubaker's run. The red during that time was close to crimson, but the rest of the color palette for DD has been darker to match the subject matter, so that's something you have to factor in. Since the character's red has been closer to scarlet for about 40 years, during all of his character defining stories, I'll say scarlet.
theunrealstudios
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay cool, thanks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: