Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Fighting style

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Fighting style Reply with quote

I found some of Danny Rand's comments in Shadowland #3 a bit odd and wanted to ask for some opinions.

I'm paraphrasing here, but in trying to justify that Matt wasn't Matt, Danny makes a comment about Matt's fighting style. I think he says Matt's style is basically jujitsu with some Irish boxing mixed in with it.

Really?

I thought Matt's fighting style/skills were more advanced than that. Or am I overestimating Miller's influence here?

I'm not looking for comparisons (like can Matt take down Cap?) but I at least thought Matt was one of the higher-tier fighters in the MU.
AP
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fighting style Reply with quote

Darkdevil wrote:
I found some of Danny Rand's comments in Shadowland #3 a bit odd and wanted to ask for some opinions.

I'm paraphrasing here, but in trying to justify that Matt wasn't Matt, Danny makes a comment about Matt's fighting style. I think he says Matt's style is basically jujitsu with some Irish boxing mixed in with it.

Really?

I thought Matt's fighting style/skills were more advanced than that. Or am I overestimating Miller's influence here?

I'm not looking for comparisons (like can Matt take down Cap?) but I at least thought Matt was one of the higher-tier fighters in the MU.

I think he's skilled in a lot of martial arts. I was a little put off by the way Danny said that too. I mean, Nick Fury has said before that there are only a handful of individuals that know what DD knows. According to the Marvel Wiki, DD's fighting style blends American-style Boxing, Ninjutsu, Judo, Aikijujutsu and various other martial arts, most notably stick fighting with his acrobatic ability. He also uses a variety of pressure points as in paralyzing an entire body or certain parts of the body. He's disabled eye sight, speech, induced pain, and even has knowledge of death pressure points. Combine all that with his knowledge of ninja-stealth, ninja-vanishing, life-energy(chi/ki)control and you have a very dangerous fighter.
qtmxd
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: fighting style Reply with quote

The whole dialogue amounted to "Matt's a second-rate fighter, he can only do this because he's possessed." Izo's statement that the Hand picked him because he's flawed even suggested that he's psychically weaker than the other heroes. But Matt's been treated as a second class fighter since the Stan Lee days. It's maddening, but some villain will pick him because he's weaker than Spider-man,etc., and he's always given short thrift by the other heroes. Other than Bullseye, it seems like he can never beat anybody above the level of a street mugger.
When the Leader of the Hand line was introduced, I thought the direction was to give him the resources to be a Bruce Wayne type, a bigger player in the MU. Instead, he's being beaten yet again. I'm curious if Reborn is leading to a new Daredevil #1,
but regardless, the words "written by Andy Diggle" do not inspire confidence. Shadowland's been a total travesty - bad writing, mostly bad art, and a total disrespect for the character.
SK47DD
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it, it is whatever the writer/creator puts into the character.

We all now think that Batman was trained by ninjas, but, Miller introduced that same with Daredevil as he introduced The Hand to the character.

If I were to write a DD story I would have Matt perform a number of styles: Karate, Ninjitsu, Capoeira, Akido, Wing Chun, Muay Thai, Sambo, American Boxing, Khali, Salat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: