Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

What are you picking up this week? 8-30

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daredevil99x
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: What are you picking up this week? 8-30 Reply with quote

Ultimate X-Men Annual #2
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing for me this week. Sad
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

52 #17 - Just a solid book. I think this thing will explode later on. (When you have a 52 issue arc, it's easy to take your time, especially with a weekly.) ...I can not wait for the untold story of Batman's missing year. Cool

Action Comics #842 - Holding my place until Richard Donner, Geoff Johns and Kubert take over. (With this kind of talent, this could end up being the greatest Superman story ever told!)

Mythos: Hulk - Because Jenkins is off the hook! Very Happy

Teen Titans #38 - I LOVE this book! So many angles in the 1 Year Later arc. I loved Johns's take on post Infinite Crisis Robin. Good stuff. Geoff Johns is a world-class writer! Few writers can write superheros so well. ...now where's the next issue of Green Lantern... Razz

Trials of SHAZAM #1 - Winick! Dealing with one of the most underrated impacts of Infinite Crisis... this is going to be good! Cool

I'm not getting:

9/11 report... This just seems a little odd topic for a comic book format. The 9/11 books immediately following 9/11 seemed appropriate for a show of support, especially the Amazing Spidey issue. I'm not sure about this one. I really hope it's not slanted partisan election year garbage...
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the delays on Civil War titles, the next few weeks will be pretty bare of Marvel comics, don't know if any where cancelled from this week, but looking on the posted shipping lists for this week and next, mine definately isn;t Marvel for a while!

I'll be getting the following:

52 WEEK #17 $2.50 - Still enjoying it, I love Renee, I think I might have Lesbian tendancies!
AMERICAN WAY #7 - A good political book, enjoying this, though I have not read #6 yet to be fair.
BOYS #2 (MR) $2.99 - Not #1 yet, but flicked it and it definately looks like my sort of thing.
LOVELESS #10 (MR) $2.99 - Not read #9 yet, but enjoying this, very black dark comic, though it is confusing, I have so many questions on this title!
CIVIL WAR YOUNG AVENGERS & RUNAWAYS #2 (OF 4) $2.99 - Was told to get #1, but not read it yet, may get #2. I am really enjoying all things Civil War, so it may be worth it.

On a different topic, the New Avengers Civil War stuff has been excellent, great writing!
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
On a different topic, the New Avengers Civil War stuff has been excellent, great writing!

Definitely. It's really rejeuvenated the book.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:

52 WEEK #17 $2.50 - Still enjoying it, I love Renee, I think I might have Lesbian tendancies!

Don't we all... Razz
You were a Gotham Central reader, right? Spectre was a nice epilogue to that series, even if issue #1 read like filler. By #3, I was blown away and reaffirmed that the Spectre is the craziest nut in the DCU.

For anyone who's not picking up much Marvel this week due to Civil War problems, might I recommend JLA #1? Cool Seriously, give this book a shot!

Also, I've been really enjoying Manhunter. I word of warning: starting this book in the middle of an arc can be a bit confusing.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
You were a Gotham Central reader, right? Spectre was a nice epilogue to that series, even if issue #1 read like filler. By #3, I was blown away and reaffirmed that the Spectre is the craziest nut in the DCU.
I read the first GC tpb when EB & ML were confirmed on DD, I totally loved it. I got the second and loved that as well. On the basis that the tpb were stuck at only 2 for ages I got all the back issues. I was up to about #24 or so when I realised from 52 and Spectre that Cris got killed by Corrigan, so it has kind of spoiled the ending for me, but none the less it is a very high quality series, and I only hope that DC decide to do something similar after 52 finishes. Renee is too good a character, well established now, not to use in a book. She could certainly carry it I feel, and if a solid supporting cast is established as with GC, I cannot how this will not work for DC. The only problem will be that EB & ML are now Marvel exclusive and unless Greg Rucka adds another title to his already expansive list then I would be very interested by who will helm this title, if at all.

With regards to the Spectre, I read this, it was quite good, 52 is my first real foray into the "b" & "c-list" characters in the DCU, as I haven't not read identity or infinite crisis, this was all very new to me. That said, it was an interesting character, but I think that long term, if this character has a long term as it doesn't seem to have the appeal that others do, I feel that all of the personality that Cris had and that the reader felt for, will be lost and eroded away by being the Spectre. I found it an unusual use of the character, once Corrigan had been avenged, I do not see where writers will be able to go with Cris as a character, with him just being over-taken by the Spectre. A shame I suppose, a missed opportunity with the character, but then it was all over when Gotham Central finished so, hey!
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
...as I haven't not read identity or infinite crisis, this was all very new to me.

Infinite Crisis was a bit of a let-down for me, but Identity Crisis is a surprisingly accessible and very well-written miniseries (if you can get past the inconclusive nature of the last issue, which led into Infinite Crisis a year later but left a lot of dangling threads). Pick up the TPB if you can, I'd recommend it if you're just newly getting into the DCU (as I am at the moment!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: