Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

What are you picking up this week? 7-26

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daredevil99x
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: What are you picking up this week? 7-26 Reply with quote

Astro City Samaritan Special
Powers #19
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLA #0 - Yeah!!!!!!!!!! Meltzer's back!!!!!!!! Cool

52 #12

Action Comics #841

Army of Darkness #9

Batman #655 - Morrison and Kubert!!! This is going to rock! (Not as hard as JLA, though! Very Happy)

Captain America #20

Spectre #3 - The last issue was great!

DD #87 - I have a funny feeling this is going to be even better than #86! Brubaker is a god among writers! Very Happy
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing Spidey #534 - Wonder if this will tie in with the fight in CW #3?
Civil War: Frontline #4 - wonder if Thor will be addressed?
Daredevil #87 - this is going to be good.
New Avengers #22 - It's Bendis writing Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. I'm there.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be picking up the following:

Never shipped to the UK last week:

Girls #14

This weeks stash:
52 WEEK #12 $2.50 - Haven't read #11 yet, I can't afford to fall behind with this!

AMERICAN WAY #6 (OF $2.99 - A little gem, anyone else reading this?

BATMAN #655 $2.99 - Grant Morrison, looking forward to this new start.

LOVELESS #9 (MR) $2.99 - Getting into this finally, l hope that this new arc takes us forward to setting out the major direction of the title.

CAPTAIN AMERICA #20 $2.99 - Must be close to finishing off this arc to get Cap ready for his own Civil War arc. I am looking forward to the stereo-typing England again, "Coor-Blimey Governor want your chimney sweeping for half a crown?"

CIVIL WAR FRONT LINE #4 (OF 10) $2.99 - Another little gem of a book, makes Civil War a cut above the rest, adds depth that enhances the main title. This book suceeds unlike other titles because it doesn't concentrate on one character, like an X-men or Spidey Civil war book etc, it is general enough that it allows itself to push the main story forward, without being solely about one character, I hope that Marvel learn from this.

DAREDEVIL #87 $2.99 - The bar is very high currently, hoping for more of the same!

NEW AVENGERS #22 CW $2.99 - Start of Civil War stories, looking for to the problems and changes in this title.

POWERS #19 (MR) $2.95 - Didn't enjoy the last arc, in fact for the first time since I've started Powers, (in from Icon#1 and I've read 6/7 trades from Image days) this title is starting to struggle in my opinion, Bendis seems to have taken it away from the original idea and I don't think that it has done the title or the characters any favours here. Hoping for a big improvement with this story.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
CIVIL WAR FRONT LINE #4 (OF 10) $2.99 - Another little gem of a book, makes Civil War a cut above the rest, adds depth that enhances the main title. This book suceeds unlike other titles because it doesn't concentrate on one character, like an X-men or Spidey Civil war book etc, it is general enough that it allows itself to push the main story forward, without being solely about one character, I hope that Marvel learn from this.

I like Frontline, but it's not perfect... It's taken a while to get going, and there are too many superfluous stories that haven't come together yet (last issue's "Sleeper Cell", and the Norman Osborn plotline from #2 which I presume only exists to set something up in the main CW title...). Still, as of last issue I'm enjoying the "Embedded" section a lot more, and Speedball's story is the best part of the book - I can't wait to see what happens to him next. Still not liking the poetry segment though - it's a good idea in theory, but the execution has been clunky and a bit pretentious.

The Privateer wrote:
NEW AVENGERS #22 CW $2.99 - Start of Civil War stories, looking for to the problems and changes in this title.

Did you read the last issue? That was the first CW story, dealing with Cap's reaction to being hunted by S.H.I.E.L.D., and how he begins to put the resistance together. Not a bad issue, and certainly better than New Avengers has been in a while.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:
The Privateer wrote:

I like Frontline, but it's not perfect... It's taken a while to get going, and there are too many superfluous stories that haven't come together yet (last issue's "Sleeper Cell", and the Norman Osborn plotline from #2 which I presume only exists to set something up in the main CW title...). Still, as of last issue I'm enjoying the "Embedded" section a lot more, and Speedball's story is the best part of the book - I can't wait to see what happens to him next. Still not liking the poetry segment though - it's a good idea in theory, but the execution has been clunky and a bit pretentious.
Dave, I agree with your comments, some good observations. I agree with you regards Speedball & the poetry bits, but I like the poetry as they are different and something new, a thought provoking Marvel take on things, just not fully executed to their best potential.

Dave Wallace wrote:

The Privateer wrote:

Did you read the last issue? That was the first CW story, dealing with Cap's reaction to being hunted by S.H.I.E.L.D., and how he begins to put the resistance together. Not a bad issue, and certainly better than New Avengers has been in a while.
Apologies, you got me, Yes I got the issue and read it, Cap and Falcon. Any Fanboy stripes I may have earned have been torn off my jacket! In that case, I am looking forward to the second issue of CW in New Avengers!
noypi-me
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will only be picking up two books this week.

Daredevil#87- this i gonna be wild!

new avengers#22 -ive been expecting great from this title since it began. now 22 issues later i'm still waiting. the sad part is it really has a lot of potential, with some very interesting characters like the sentry, cap, spiderman, luke cage you'd think that bendis! would have a lot to play with. hope it begins to get better with this arc.

...are you talking to me..."
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
Apologies, you got me, Yes I got the issue and read it, Cap and Falcon. Any Fanboy stripes I may have earned have been torn off my jacket! In that case, I am looking forward to the second issue of CW in New Avengers!

I hereby demote you to the rank of Privateer [second class]. Smile
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to reading DD #87. It's a make or break issue. The arc, up until now, has been stellar. I said it before, this arc (so far) is better than anything Bendis did--and I thought Bendis was pretty good. But, my only concern is the fake DD. Will Bru compromise his story to line up with Civil War? I have faith that Bru will pull it off, but I will be critical if need be.

I'm getting Amazing Spiderman, but I'm thinking about dropping all Spidey titles, depending how Civil War leaves Peter Parker.

Thinking about getting Batman. Anyone recommend this read?

rgj
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DareDevil #87 - Bru and Lark are pulling it off. I'll admit I was quite the skeptic and am now on the bandwagon. Hopefully the big reveal is awesome and this series goes into an even higher gear on momentum.

Batman #655 - Morrison and Kubert take over the title book. It will be odd to see Kubert on a DC book. Somehow I think I'll make it through.

Civil War : Frontline #4 - I love Jenkins working away from the ball. He's able to make something interesting and innovative without going odd. He's the perfect writer for this book.

New Avengers #22 -This book has been so far up and down, I don't know what to think of it anymore. May be a candidate for dropping.

BATTLE POPE #9 - This book keeps sneaking up on me. I know DD and the Bat are coming out and then BAM!!! Still the funniest comic on the market.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
Thinking about getting Batman. Anyone recommend this read?
rgj

I started getting Batman and Detective Comic from the start of One Year Later, my man at the comic shop said that it will be a good jumping on point. I'd guess that Grant Morrisson starting to write for Batman has got your interest and rightly so. I am expecting good things from this, DC has got one of their best writers on one of their premier titles, sounds a good mix to me.

I would highly recommend Detective Comic as well, the Paul Dini story in the last issue was brilliant, had some of the touches to remind me why the original episodes of Batman:The Animated Series were so good, until the network ruined it with addition of Robin. The story, art and lettering were all very classy, if you are considering jumping on then now is the time. If you are interested I will PM you the story from the previous issues.
Doug
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week I'm getting,

Daredevil #87

Army of Darkness #9

Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose #39
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
I started getting Batman and Detective Comic from the start of One Year Later,

I did as well. The OYL stuff was a good lead-in. I'd been away from Batman since the Hush arc. Now Morrison/Kubert are going to rock the house.

Mostly I want to back up Priv's comments about Detective. Dini is doing a series of one-offs which would be very readable even if you don't know/care what's been going on recently in Batman continuity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: