Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #24 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #24?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #24 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #24 by Zdarsky, Hawthorne, Mayer, Cowles ships November 25, and here's the cover by Checchetto & Wilson, and the preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-024

Please use this thread when the issue ships!
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so that sucked.
Everyone is an idiot again. It's like Mark Waid is back. I was singing nothing but praise for Zdarsky until a few months ago, but from the moment Matt surrendered to the cops it's just been sad.

So which of Matt's ex-girlfriends is Zdarsky about to take a giant **** all over by revealing she screwed Matt's stupid fake twin brother in this new stupid fake realty?

I may be mis-remembering, but wasn't the whole premise of Soule's Supreme arc that masked vigilantes could be used as anonymous witnesses to give testimony? But now that somehow translates to keeping their identity when they are an actual arrested suspect who is on trial, and about to go to prison by the solicits? Bull****.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue wasn't all that great. Matt's idiocy is becoming tiresome.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably the weakest issue so far in Chip Zdarsky's run so far. Mike Hawthorne is a major step down from Marc Checchetto on art duties, giving everything a cartoony feel that wasn't present before. Typhoid looks more ready to fight Strawberry Shortcake than Daredevil.

But I'm still rooting for Zdarsky to turn this into a good story, because his run has been stellar so far. As much as I hated how Charles Soule made Mike Murdock a "real" person, I'm willing to wait and see where Zdarsky takes him. And I'm still waiting, because he still sucks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the recent annual establish that Mike knows Matt is Daredevil? Unless the Purple Children erased Mike's memory, even though he didn't exist then? It's all very confusing. In this issue he seems to think Matt and Daredevil are two different people, and I feel that needs to be explained.

Typhoid's presence in this issue seems unnecessary. She seems to want to use Wilson to achieve power herself, and it's unclear whether she has any influence over him. I wish Hawthorne had drawn her with only half of her face covered in white, as would be the norm. I don't know why Wilson would allow her to be around if she didn't have influence over him, since he seems to want to go legit.

What redeems this issue for me was Matt's despair when Tony's plan failed. That whole plan with Tony was about Matt putting things right so he could go to jail knowing Hell's Kitchen was in good hands. When it failed Matt was left reeling. The only thing is that I don't know how Elektra was able to outbid Tony Stark, let alone the Stromwyns. Yes, she stole from the Stromwyns, and she was leader of the Hand, but it's surprising that she could outbid them. I liked that it seemed to be an act of love for her.
Quote:
I bought all of it.
Your home.
Your hell.
I don't understand you. I never did, really.
But do what you need to do.
Make your foolish sacrifice. Your home is safe...
...Matthew.

It just says to me that she, at the core of her being, understands Matt on the deepest level, and knows what matters most to him. I'll probably always consider her his one true love.

I'm not excited for Matt returning behind bars. For the young'uns out there, Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark placed Matt in Ryker's Island less than 15 years ago. The DD Book Club reviewed it. (http://www.manwithoutfear.com/messageboard/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3864) It seems a little soon to visit that idea again.

I really wish Mike wasn't a thing. At least Kirsten seems to have matured somewhat since the Waid run, because I believed that she has moved on since her relationship with Matt ended.

I'm giving this a three.
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a rough issue for me and I agree with you Dimetre it may be the weakest issue of Zdarsky's run so far.

First of all the art was bad, like really bad. All the characters looked off though I thought Tony, Typhoid Mary and Kirsten looked especially bad not to mention the brief appearances of Cap, Luke and Jessica. Also, when you see how Checchetto draws Elektra then compare it to this issue it makes it really tough to move past.

As for the story itself, it was a bit all over the place for me. I get that Matt is mad at Foggy, but for all the crap that Matt has put Foggy through and all the crazy things he's done it seemed a bit of an overreaction to me the way Matt treated Foggy.

Also, to borrow Elektra's quote from an earlier issue Matt's "selfishness masquerading as selflessness" continues and I am not sure how I feel about it. Elektra was right and Matt even said it to Kirsten in the car ride to courtroom. People are going to get hurt or die in Hell's Kitchen if Matt is in prison. I don't think Elektra "owning" Hell's Kitchen changes that and I also can see her having another angle with it beyond helping Matt.

I am also annoyed that he hasn't come clean to Kirsten about his identity.

Dimetre wrote:
Typhoid's presence in this issue seems unnecessary. She seems to want to use Wilson to achieve power herself, and it's unclear whether she has any influence over him. I wish Hawthorne had drawn her with only half of her face covered in white, as would be the norm. I don't know why Wilson would allow her to be around if she didn't have influence over him, since he seems to want to go legit.

Agree 100%

Dimetre wrote:
What redeems this issue for me was Matt's despair when Tony's plan failed. That whole plan with Tony was about Matt putting things right so he could go to jail knowing Hell's Kitchen was in good hands. When it failed Matt was left reeling. The only thing is that I don't know how Elektra was able to outbid Tony Stark, let alone the Stromwyns. Yes, she stole from the Stromwyns, and she was leader of the Hand, but it's surprising that she could outbid them. I liked that it seemed to be an act of love for her.

While this was a better part of the issue it didn't really redeem the issue for me, and I agree how Elektra could outbid Stark when it was established earlier in the issue that he had a lot of money to throw at it makes it a bit confusing.

I guess if there was a redeeming part of the issue it was Elektra in the courtroom telling him she knows who is though that only helped things marginally.

Dimetre wrote:
It just says to me that she, at the core of her being, understands Matt on the deepest level, and knows what matters most to him. I'll probably always consider her his one true love.

Actually, I read this almost the opposite way. Did she do it because she cares for him? Possibly; however, while she may know what matters to him, she doesn't understand why it matters to him. That has always been the issue between them they see the world in a completely different way. And it's for that reason why I don't think Elektra is his one true love, though admittedly I am in the Karen camp.

Dimetre wrote:
I really wish Mike wasn't a thing. At least Kirsten seems to have matured somewhat since the Waid run, because I believed that she has moved on since her relationship with Matt ended.

Agree completely regarding Mike. I really hope there is a good pay off to all of this because I am not liking it at all. At least Kirsten told him off and Matt told him to stay away from her.

RGdesigner wrote:
So which of Matt's ex-girlfriends is Zdarsky about to take a giant **** all over by revealing she screwed Matt's stupid fake twin brother in this new stupid fake realty

This seemed completely unnecessary to me and even more of a reason why I am hoping things revert back to normal.

I am giving this issue 2 stars, thankfully the next issue comes out next week so hopefully Zdarsky can turn things around quickly. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt though to see how things play out. If nothing else Checchetto is back on the art
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really sad that Zdarsky's run has come to this. Up until #20 it was a thing of beautiful quality, going so far as adopting (after the first, great arc) a rather slooow rhythm in respect of the whole of the narrative. It showed care. But then came the annual, and now this arc. Right after what would be a GREAT place to have DD, now sane and able again, in good, innovative stories. But no.

Of course, I'm with the readers who won't drop the title out of love for the character and even curiosity (hell, I even stuck around for the mediocre Soule run. Yes, I think that whole, long thing is veeery overestimated). A lot of things are still pretty hard to predict, at least. But Zdarsky's pen has clearly reached an unexpected (or rather, unwanted) low. This issue really is the worst so far, and I'm not even talking about the absence of physical action. It's just so... careless.

Careless (on the details, not on the obvious overall plot weaknesses): Dimetre already pointed out the thing with the obnoxious Mike now not knowing DD is Matt (the Purple Children hypothesis doesn't work, in that he didn't exist back then, because he re-wrote Matt's history to include himself, so he may have been affected by that after all);
we still don't know what the Typhoid subplot was/is about, nor how Elektra knows Matt is DD, but hey, she's an effing billionaire, so maybe she has the means of finding that out (overall, still wish Marvel had kept her dead). These two points, about these women, may indicate, however, that Zdarsky plans on staying on the title for quite some more time (hell, again, Soule got to be one of the few to write over 50 issues!).

I'm also really annoyed by how some preview texts are misleading, and am really curious about what was said for issue 27. Don't know if you gentlemen read those, but was is predicted to happen in the "most electrifying issue so far" is just insane or bull****.

And wraping up, I really, really hate that Mike guy (again, thanks for that, Soule! Your stupid character, who with the quality of a fan fic creation made into reality something even more stupid). Echoing what RG Designer said, that stuff about some ex-girlfriend of Matt's is disgusting.

Really hope Zdarsky can come back to form, but that hope is fading and fading...

Oh, and the art: blergh. didnt they learn anything from the second arc? In this run, after Chec, only Fornes. I reallly would like to know why Fornes isn't drawing when Marco isnt. And another "oh", still on the art front. To be fair, I think the new color choice for Typhoid's face may be of narrative order. She seems to think she is now in control, whole, so she may not think it is necessary to have a half/half design for her "mask".
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, total trainwreck. DD being convicted of manslaughter is not a story I ever wanted to read and it's a genie that can't be put back in the bottle without a majority continuity reset. Definitely the lowest point in the character's history. And Tony Stark losing because of a server glitch? We are talking about the greatest technologist in the Marvel Universe...

Anyway, the timing is good since I'm headed out on extended holiday thru the new year. Will check in in a few months to see if this nonsense has been reset, but I'm not holding my breath...

Cheers and enjoy the holidays!
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm late to the party.

24 - Truth/Dare Part 4

There were a lot of interesting parts in this issue. My fears with Mike Murdock were relatively unjustified, although he didn't do a lot to really justify his inclusion. I think the big surprise is the ending. Unlike others here, I'm not outraged by it. Matt is someone who struggles with guilt for his actions and I can see him wanting to do something like this. I like that the only thing that could have held him up is his desire to help Hell's Kitchen. After that, he would take jail time.

Second Degree Manslaughter in New York requires proof of:

(1) Person engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk someone will die
(2) He is aware of that risk and consciously disregards it
(3) The risk is of such a nature and degree that disregard of it constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person would observe in the situation.

It is a Class C Felony, which means Daredevil is a convicted felon. It carries a range of punishment of no jail time/probation or, if that doesn't apply, 1-2 years to 15 years. I don't understand the sentencing structure entirely, but a two-year sentence seems in line with that. It also seems in-line with what Matt did, although he certainly had a strong self-defense argument.

Overall, these random musings are mostly a distraction from the plot. There's a little bit of a twist where Matt seems to fail, but it's not overly suspenseful. Still, I'll give it Four Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: