Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel's Daredevil S2E09 Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Marvel's Daredevil S2E09 Discussion Reply with quote

Please use this thread to discuss this episode and any relevant plot points that occurred prior to this one.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a long intro! I love the Kingpin being back. I especially love the Kingpin reestablishing connections (in this case, using incarceration to get an advantage). I love that he's using his resources and his resources are Frank Castle. The John Doe is an interesting mystery to explore, so the thing isn't over. I think Ben Urich's boss does a serviceable job here, but we miss Ben Urich. The only thing unclear is whether Frank Castle has been convicted or not. We didn't see it, but everyone talks as if it's over so I assume it happened. Regardless, it appears moot by the end, but I'd love to know. I like the Hand stuff. Nobu was expected, but it's still good to see (and everything else is creepy, besides).

Fun episode setting up the things to continue. Four Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Charlie Cox did a really good job in season 1 but he's come into his own this season. The realisation that Stick wasn't bullshitting him at the end when Nobu tells him 'there is no such thing' is well acted considering he has the mask on.

The Hand are great. Whatever the blood is going to and whatever is in that pod will be fun to discover but the whole imagery in itself is pretty cool.

I think this episode has the greatest title in television considering what those seven minutes in heaven turned out to be.
Sciurid
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Castle with a shank scares me more than Frank Castle with a gun.

Good to see more of Fisk.

Minor criticism:

I love both Fisk and Frank, but their scenes together left me cold.

Other random thoughts:

Poor Foggy. I love Foggy, and I think this season he's really starting to converge on the Foggy in the books. He's good and moral and smart, and he deserves hugs and a best friend who acts like less of a tool.

Upon being able to view the season again, slightly slower, one theme I missed the first time around is parents and children, especially what threatening the latter does to the former. We have:

Frank & his kids
Stan the Accountant & his hand-possessed boy
Reyes & her daughter
Nun & Matt
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Matt is ultimately acting the right way but is relying on Foggy's good nature to accept what Matt does. Matt stopping the Kingpin showed him that he can protect the city and he's moved past the drive to do it and has decided to be the city's protector. It's the reason he continues to help Elektra investigate the 'Yakuza' when they read the ledger. His self appointed job is protecting the city.

When Foggy finds out Matt is Daredevil in season 1 he is angry with Matt through the accusations in the press and worried for his safety. In this season he knows that Matt is helping people in ways others can't but once the danger level gets increased he returns to the mindset of acting out of worry. Matt decides the best way to get through to Foggy is to show him that he is fully dedicated to what he does and refuses to budge in anyway or have the same conversations with him again. Matt is relying on Foggy accepting Matt's decision because he's ultimately doing good.

Foggy is great in this season though. Works his arse off and carries everyone else when it's too much for them. It's why they need to have that bit of separation. They're both right but misunderstood and under appreciated.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obvious highlight in this episode is Vincent D'Onofrio as the Kingpin. He is magnificent. In a season with many great scenes, probably my favourite so far is the scene where he visits Castle in his cell.

I think Deborah Ann Woll has really stepped up her game this season, and the writers have given Karen amazing strength -- strength I've never seen in the character.

I feel like Matt is getting a little crowded out of his own show. The Punisher was front and centre in this episode, and Matt's scenes with Elektra and Nobu almost feel like an afterthought, as if the showrunners remembered at the last minute what the name of the show was. It's possible this Punisher story might have been better left for the Defenders, so this season could have focused more on Elektra, which would have made for a more Matt-centric plot. I still think it's a good show, but it's feeling less like Daredevil and more like Marvel Knights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: