Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

How would you compare the TV Show to the Movie?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: How would you compare the TV Show to the Movie? Reply with quote

It might unfair to compare them, after all TV and movies are two different mediums. But it could also be fun, so how do you think the TV show compares to the movie? What pitfalls did the movie make that the TV show managed to avoid?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TV show managed to avoid being terrible?

I kid, I kid Wink

More seriously, though. I thought the movie's biggest problem was just being overall boring, while the show was compelling throughout. Although my biggest specific complaint will have to wait for season 2 because the movie's Elektra was terrible. We have to wait to compare it to the show's. But I think the casting is better for the show.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, like you said, the mediums are very different. The TV show had 13 hours, meaning they could go slow and take their time.

The movie on the other hand tried to incorporate the Miller/Janson run with the Miller/Romita JR run in a couple of hours.

And I hope S2 also takes its time. I would like them to really establish Frank Castle over a few eps, and the same for Elektra. They're two very distinct characters in the MU and putting them in a universe that already has DD and Jessica Jones will have to be handled delicately.
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The film had Matt and Elektra fighting in broad daylight on a seesaw. The TV show didn't.

The show was just the tone and attitude I envision Daredevil should be. Plus everything was brilliantly executed. The film had some promising moments but overall felt lame.

Ash-n-bone identified a big problem with some superhero films. You can't try and replicate a book. You have to take the things that made them great and use it to inspire and inform the new project, not directly try and copy. That's what Iron Man did so well and the MCU followed suit.
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the show is pretty good, the movie is not as good (but still not as bad as people say.)

I still think that Movielektra was based at least partially on Echo.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well given what happened with the latest Fantastic Four movie, I think we can be glad that Marvel got the rights back to DD:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fantastic_four_2015/
Nightwing2001
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, wow! LOL I can't see them making a sequel to that. You're right I'm glad DD is far, FAR away from Fox now.

As for the difference in the DD movie and TV show, I agree with a lot of what has already been said and I want to just add that for me a lot of the difference has to do with how they approached the writing and tone of them. With the movie it seemed like they wanted to go for a serious grim and gritty version of the character but fell into the trappings of bad action movie dialogue and cliques which took away from that tone, not to mention some bad breaks in comedy that just didn't work. The script just seemed to have overall bad movie cliques too, don't even get me started on the awful love scene between Matt and Elektra. The only thing missing from that scene was Chef from South Park singing about "laying you down by the fire and making sweet love to you" lol With the show it really felt like they just wanted to get it all right, not just with the tone but with the dialogue, the plot, the characterization, everything. They took it as serious and as earnestly as they could and it showed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: