Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel's Daredevil S1E9 Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Marvel's Daredevil S1E9 Discussion Reply with quote

Discussion for Marvel's Daredevil S1E9.
Please only discuss elements in this episode (or previous episodes if it applies) but not anything that happens in episodes after this one.

Last edited by Kuljit Mithra on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Speak of the Devil"

-Nobu reminds me of Ikari
-So is he Hand or Yakuza?
-Matt and Fisk meet, love the panic in Matt
-Josie's Bar!
-DD carries his billy clubs now
-Foggy discovering Matt is DD just like in the comics
MarcWagz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, kobu is a hand ninja correct?
pretty cool that they included the hand without focusing on them.
this was the best fight of the series imo
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been binging on the show. Just got to episode 9. Wasn't going to comment here until I finished, but my first major disappointment happened here. GREAT SHOW, so far, let me make that clear. But the Foggy discovering Matt is DD so early is really disappointing. It's like the writers can't help themselves. I'm guessing by the end of the show, Urich will know (and should) and Karen may too (eventually should). But, Foggy should have learned much later. Loving the show still. Will comment after I finish the series. The Foggy thing really disappointing.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcWagz wrote:
so, kobu is a hand ninja correct?
pretty cool that they included the hand without focusing on them.
this was the best fight of the series imo

Yeah, I'm thinking he's Hand. Fisk spent time in Japan and realized that this guy is a necessary evil even though he doesn't bring anything to the table. I don't think that sounds like Yakuza to me, but it certainly sounds like the Hand. The red seems to fit too.

My review:
Tense episode with some good exploration of themes. The conversations with the priest were the highlights. It's about how far you would go to stop someone, particularly when that someone doesn't play by the rules. It really hammered things home without the need to be overly religious.

I like the framing device with the ninja fight. It's almost certainly an allusion to the Hand, but I like that they're keeping it ambiguous. It got real intense at the end when Matt finally pulled through only to find the Kingpin. Daredevil has fought the Kingpin many times in the comics and, usually, the Kingpin comes out triumphant. I know Matt was weak here, but I'm glad it ended with him on the losing end.

And the reveal at the end was a surprise. Foggy found out way later in the comics than Karen did, so I expected her to find out first. But Karen and Matt have been very distant, so I think this works better.

Four and a Half Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe they introduced The Hand without it looking or seeming ridiculous. this is a major breakthrough for the series. It means that they can do it ninjas, and have it work well! Opens up many, many narrative possibilities.

The big reveal at the end, I agree with others, was a bit too early. Foggy finding out didn't just seem early, it seemed forced. With how private a person Matt Murdock is, particularly given his secret... you mean to tell me Matt gave him a key to his roof access entrance?! Just doesn't make a ton of sense.

Then there's the fact that, on four separate occasions to this point in the series, Foggy has been frantic about whether Matt is okay, including one where he was physically in front of his door... and never, until this magical reveal, did he once remember that he had access to his apartment via his roof... until NOW?!

BIT of a plothole.

Mike Murdock wrote:

Four and a Half Stars.

"Perfect cinematography. Perfect fights. Cleans and presses most fabrics in under 20 minutes. Four and a half stars."

Only teasing. But there does seem to be a uniformity to your ratings, irrespective of quality. Razz
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be my favourite episode so far. I love how conflicted Matt is in this episode, and indeed the conversation with the priest in the church outlined this conflict perfectly.

I don't mind that Foggy found out this early. I don't demand that the show follow the chronology of the comic. Marvel Studies, Drew Goddard and Steven DeKnight have been doing a solid enough job that I'm willing to see where they're going with this. At least they're willing to take chances.
humanaccident
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when movies and TV shows change some things around, not huge, key things but smaller things, like this, I hate it when they simply copy the comics scene for scene as it seems like a bit of a waste of time for us comic fans.

Good episode, great series, keeping us on our toes nicely! Well played.
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was like an hour of my jaw resting on the floor. To think I thought Matt and Fisk coming face to face in the gallery was going to be a highlight.

I don't understand the problem with Foggy's access to the roof. The only time he tried to get Matt out before was when he and Karen were drunk, right?

Matt's incredible fight with what has to be a medium level Hand ninja confirms Stick's worries.

Steel Serpent logo on the drug packets...
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with rgj on this episode, I would have rather that Foggy found out about Matt's alter ego much later on. It's not a deal breaker for me. It's been a very very good show thus far. I'm taking my time watching the show due to family commitments. I hope to be done with the show by next weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: