Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Bought / Thought 6-21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Bought / Thought 6-21 Reply with quote

What did you get this week? Tell us a little about it.
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS Superman #4 - I wouldn't be fired up for "Superman Returns". I agree with Kevin Smith (hissssssssss) who I heard on Man Cow this morning. He pointed out how foolish Luthor is as a villain. In one corner you have a powerful super being and in the other corner a guy who wants real estate.

I wouldn't be fired up about Superman if it weren't for this series. Morrison and Quitely are crafting a masterwork here. They have hit the right level of assumed knowledge for their audience and still forging new areas for the Superman character to go in. Definitely pick up this book if you're looking for something to wet your appetite for the Man of Steel.

Ex Machina #21 - And just when I've been complaining about Ex Mach looking for its voice, it snaps back into the tone it had a the beginning of the book when I was sucked into it. I get the feeling BKV is setting the last pieces of a story which is going to blow our minds. Knowing BKV, it will be awesome.

New Avengers #20 - Maybe it's unfair. On a week like this, NA was going to feel underwhelming. Then again this was an issue with three issues of build up and only one of resolution. Not only from those three issues but also from the entire House of M saga too. Since I didn't read X-men in the 90s, I'm not sucked into it.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only on I've read so far:

Flash #1 - So good! Even though I'm a huge DC fan boy, I've never bought a Flash issue (the character never really appealed to me). I must say, I am impressed! First off, the focus on the two most interesting Flashes, Jay and Bart (a Flash who I'd love to see have his own solo, Geoff Johns title!). The writing was excellent! (From some guy who's never written comics before, too.) Everything a #1 should be, including great character and Infinite Crisis background! So much better than Wonder Woman #1 (IMHO)! Me likey!
Doug
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was supposed to get Army of Darkness #8, but my shop didn't get it in this week. So I picked up Star Wars: Legacy #1, just to see what it's like. Also got issues 59 and 60 of the Marc Spector: Moon Knight series.
daredevil99x
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eternals #1 Good intro. Loved Romita's art.

Giant Size Hulk #1 I love Planet Hulk, and had been wanting to read Hulk: The End

Seven Soldiers 3 TPB Haven't read it yet. Waiting for the fourth one, and then I'll read them all for the first time in one sitting.

Uncanny X-Men: End of Greys TPB Picked it up on a whim. I've been on an X-Men kick of late and I absolutely loved it. Claremont writes excellent strong female leads.

Ultimate X-Men 5 HC Like I said, I was on an X-Men kick, and I hadn't picked this up yet.
pariah
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm new here, but I buy comics every week so I'll post a reply to this.

Astonishing X-men #15
I am seriously considering dropping this title, I love Whedon. mostly cause of Angel, and I dig Cassidy, but this issue just felt like nothing really happened to make me care about it, and I just had to yell out " Oh give me a break!!!" when I saw that last page and yet another artist using that composition.

All star Superman #4
This book just keeps getting better and better each issue, and for some reason I can't stop giggling everytime I think about "black Kryptonite".

Girls # 14( I think, lost track of the issue numbers around #Cool
Like every other issue, this one just kept me wanting more, I can even forgive the story feeling slightly dragged out a bit at this point, because the characters are so well handled.

New Avengers # was it 22, I forget
This was ok, I'm not a huge fan of Dedato's work, but he handled this storyline pretty well, and it was nice to not see agent Hill as cold hearted for once, but this issue just didn't have that great character interaction that I've come to love from Bendis's work on this series, and with civil war happening and all, this might be the last time I even see this team together.
pariah
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm new here, but I buy comics every week so I'll post a reply to this.

Astonishing X-men #15
I am seriously considering dropping this title, I love Whedon. mostly cause of Angel, and I dig Cassidy, but this issue just felt like nothing really happened to make me care about it, and I just had to yell out " Oh give me a break!!!" when I saw that last page and yet another artist using that composition.

All star Superman #4
This book just keeps getting better and better each issue, and for some reason I can't stop giggling everytime I think about "black Kryptonite".

Girls # 14( I think, lost track of the issue numbers around #Cool
Like every other issue, this one just kept me wanting more, I can even forgive the story feeling slightly dragged out a bit at this point, because the characters are so well handled.

This was ok, I'm not a huge fan of Dedato's work, but he handled this storyline pretty well, and it was nice to not see agent Hill as cold hearted for once, but this issue just didn't have that great character interaction that I've come to love from Bendis's work on this series, and with civil war happening and all, this might be the last time I even see this team together.
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pariah is so happy to be here, he posted twice. Welcome.

pariah wrote:
"black Kryptonite".

Yeah, it sounds like a name from a blaxploitation fim.
pariah
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, didn't mean to post twice, it was the black kryptonite made me do it.

That black kryptonite is a bad mutha..........
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hush yo' mouth!

Anyway, the bought/thought. Me and DDMikeMN obviously have similar tastes, as I also got through:

ASS #4:
Somehow less fun than the first couple of issues, about on a par with #3. The Black Kryptonite stuff was fun, but the Bizarro and Doomsday plotlines would each have made great issues on their own. This felt like ideas for the sake of ideas, and at the expense of a coherent story. Lovely art though, with great colouring.

Ex Machina #21:
Pretty cool. More action than normal, I'm interested to see where the Journal storyline goes, and the drug angle is being dealt with quite maturely. Crazy cliffhanger too - wonder what's going on there.

New Avengers #20:
Just a mess. I think I'm going to drop this title. It's not an X-Men book, but the last few issues have felt like it. In a bad way.

I also picked up the Superman Returns Prequel #3 (a lot of Lex, not much else... but at least he gets rid of Gene Hackman's wig once and for all!) and Ultimates 2 #11, which will probably read better in a trade but didn't really provide enough meat for a comic which only comes along once every three months. Still, a mediocre Ultimates issue is still better than 90% of the other comics out there.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a great couple of days of reading so far.

All Star Superman #4 is easily the stand out read for me right now. Never thought I could like a Jimmy Olsen story. Nevermind "like." This I loved! Wacky self-contained story-telling with nods to Silver Age and beyond. It is a great change from plot heavy reads like Daredevil and Ex Machina.

Ex Machina #21 - Again, excellent stuff.

Superman/Batman #27 - Felt like filler. It was filler. Not very impressed with this book. Only one standout issue (#26) in the last year or so.

New Avenger #20 - I think I am going to drop this once the Civil War story concludes. I want to see what is in this book due to the guest artists lined up. After that, I'm done.

Robin #151 - Holy Crap Batman! Shocked What a run this OYL story has proven to be! And now the new Capt. Boomerang is going to show up! Shocked Identity Crisis #5 still gives me the chills. This is a meeting I cannot afford to miss.

Manhunter #23 - This is turning out to be a great arc. A lot of attention to the JSA and All Stars history. Can't wait to see Dr. Psycho's trial conclude.

Justice #6 - Superman tossed into the sun by Shazam. A two-page splash! Shocked Incredible! Gosh! Can you tell I like DC? Wink

This weekend - Flash #1, Shadowpact #2, Conan #29, Conan:Book of Thoth #3 & #4

James Robinson's Golden Age is my tpb for the weekend. I am also re-reading Loeb and Sale's The Challengers Must Die! tpb. Their first work together.

C.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add 52 #7!

What a scene between Ralph and Booster! Shocked This has been great. I was doubtful, but I am really starting to believe that this is really going to come out EVERY week on time. I don't know how happy I'll feel once the last one hits and we can't get a weekly anymore.

C.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daredevil99x wrote:

Romita's art is actually the reason I'm not picking this up. Razz (It's also the reason I dropped Wolverine during Miller's excellent run.) To each his own...

pariah wrote:
This was ok, I'm not a huge fan of Dedato's work

In the same thread there's JRJr praise and Deodato dislike?! Crazy! Razz

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
Robin #151 - Holy Crap Batman! Shocked What a run this OYL story has proven to be! And now the new Capt. Boomerang is going to show up! Shocked Identity Crisis #5 still gives me the chills. This is a meeting I cannot afford to miss.

I'm so glad others are experiencing how bad ass this book has been!!! Come on, it's Robin, the boy in tights, right? Who would guess that it would rock this hard?! Razz The One Year Later creative team is off the hook!!!
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
daredevil99x wrote:

Romita's art is actually the reason I'm not picking this up. Razz

It's been a long time since I've seen Romita's art look that good. I don't know if he's been inspired by the Kirby muse or if it's the inker, but DAMN!
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see an inker credited - is Romita doing his own inks?

Here's my thoughts (and those of other SBC reviewers) on Eternals, anyway...

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/115065145035965.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: