Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel's Iron Fist S1E1-E13 *Spoilers*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Marvel's Iron Fist S1E1-E13 *Spoilers* Reply with quote

Please use this thread to discuss anything related to Marvel's Iron Fist. I figured we don't need multiple threads, so you can discuss anything from the show in this thread. If you want you can put spoiler space if you see someone is a bit behind.

Overall I liked the show... it wasn't as bad as critics said, but it did suffer from some pacing issues (like the other Netflix shows).
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I may have posted this elsewhere. I think it's a show that started dull but had a strong idea of what it wanted to do (exploring social aspects with the wealth vs. poor thing) and ended as a pretty entertaining show with no idea what it wanted to do. Episode 9, in particular, was very much a "they have no clue" moment, but I thought episodes 6, 8, and especially 12 were a lot of fun.

There's a lot of potential going forward and it's still an above average show, but, imo, they didn't knock it out of the park.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much agree. It was enjoyable but nothing special.

I think they should have leaned on the mystical side a bit more to balance everything else. It could have filled those moments where it felt unfocused.

I thought it was well acted across the board with some standouts and occasional stand outs. Madam Gao was as fun as she seemed in brief Daredevil appearances. Claire and Colleen were cool together.

I thought Ward Meachum was going to end up as one of those actors who get on my nerves regardless of the character but he ended up being one of my favourite parts of the show.

If there's a season two I hope they hit hard with the mystical side and fully incorporate it in to Danny living in New York. They'll have the chance to have another special series then.
obiwan570
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should have toned Claire down and used Hogarth more. And I agree the mystical part could have been played better the casting for Davos could have been better

Season 2 should be Iron fist vs Shang Chi and Finn Jones to practice or get an identical good artial arts body double

iron fist was disappointing particularly the action scenes. a pity they may not have enough time to correct it in the defenders.

They should take a look at "into the badlands", Now that's a martial arts series. They should get a good witty script writer for the light tone of the show they were going for.
MarcWagz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Fist can;t carry a show if they write him like this.
he needs to team up with luke.

Danny should be with Misty, but they sold the relationship between him and Colleen so well that I think they will stay together for the long haul.

It makes sense because they cast Misty so old, she is like 45 in the MCU while Danny is like 27. Not impossible age gap, but probably unlikely for Danny to go for that.

Really Colleen carried Danny in this show, she made him worth caring about, which is sad. If Danny was his happy go lucky self, and not a whiner like every other TV hero (Daredevil, but he is supposed to be, Green Arrow, who is supposed to be happy go lucky like Danny, even Barry Allen is a whiner in the Flash), it might be easier to route for him.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Fist is easily the weakest of Marvel's Netflix shows so far. The writing and directing is a drastic step downward. It feels like the crew for the show are less experienced. I don't think Finn Jones' acting was the problem. I'm not sure any actor would have done much better with this dialogue. I was upset that the Hand were portrayed so differently than they were in Daredevil, where they were ninja. Here they were just thugs. I felt like Ward Meacham was a cartoonish version of Donald Trump Jr. Hopefully more effort is going to be put in to future Netflix shows.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
Iron Fist is easily the weakest of Marvel's Netflix shows so far. The writing and directing is a drastic step downward. It feels like the crew for the show are less experienced. I don't think Finn Jones' acting was the problem. I'm not sure any actor would have done much better with this dialogue. I was upset that the Hand were portrayed so differently than they were in Daredevil, where they were ninja. Here they were just thugs. I felt like Ward Meacham was a cartoonish version of Donald Trump Jr. Hopefully more effort is going to be put in to future Netflix shows.

I think the problem is the show runner for Iron Fist is Scott Buck, a guy known for doing the bad seasons of Dexter.

The other Netflix shows had show runners who were at least passionate about their projects, this just seems like work for hire for Buck.

Legion is a great Marvel TV show and its show runner is Noah Hawley, the guy behind the Fargo TV show.

I think the problem is the other 3 TV shows had a better hook and a easier premise that worked within the Netflix formula. Daredevil deals with disability and crime noir stories, Jessica Jones deals with control, rape and abuse, Luke Cage put a super hero spin on issues facing African Americans.

Meanwhile Iron Fist is some rich white doofus trying to get his company back and doing an updated version of Kung Fu, with a white guy in the main role of an Asian focused story and Iron Fist is far more fantastical then these other series, so the fantastical elements from the mythos had to be dropped or down played to fit a Netflix budget. Iron Fist also fit into too many cliches we saw with Batman, Arrow and Iron Man, a rich white guy has his life ruined and discovers himself well visiting some foreign location and returns home to find his company is run by greedy tycoons and aims to set things right.

Some of this might have been forgivable if it had great fight scenes, but it didn't. Daredevil still has the best fight scenes of all the series, but fight scenes were never the focus of Jessica Jones or Luke Cage. Iron Fist should have had amazing fight scenes.

MarcWagz wrote:
Iron Fist can;t carry a show if they write him like this.
he needs to team up with luke.

Danny should be with Misty, but they sold the relationship between him and Colleen so well that I think they will stay together for the long haul.

It makes sense because they cast Misty so old, she is like 45 in the MCU while Danny is like 27. Not impossible age gap, but probably unlikely for Danny to go for that.

Really Colleen carried Danny in this show, she made him worth caring about, which is sad. If Danny was his happy go lucky self, and not a whiner like every other TV hero (Daredevil, but he is supposed to be, Green Arrow, who is supposed to be happy go lucky like Danny, even Barry Allen is a whiner in the Flash), it might be easier to route for him.

Too be fair, Finn Jones is 29, while Simone Missick (Misty) is 35, not a huge difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: