Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #18 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #18?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #18 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #18 by Soule, Garney and Milla ships March 15th and here is a preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-018

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Review:

This is Daredevil vs. Killgrave. I like the description of the Purple Man, why he's a sociopath, and why he's so terrifying and dangerous. Innocent people throwing themselves at the task of murdering children is very creepy. The issue moves very, very fast (something I don't always like about Soule), but it led to a good cliffhanger with Killgrave doing the one thing he was never able to do before. Honestly, I think Bendis deserves a lot of credit for reinvigorating the character in Jessica Jones and both Waid's Purple Children story and this one have been exciting so far even if this one is a bit light.

Matt Milla is shining with the colors. His simple, one-color pallet works great when he's throwing in reds and purples. His early DD stories were deliberately muted, but he's found ways to make them quite vibrant recently.

I'll go Four Stars. It's an exciting story, I just wish there was a bit more for something I only get to read once a month.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Soule had some very astute observations about the Purple Man. "There is literally no incentive for the Purple Man to ever care about anything other than himself. There's no point to it." That's excellent, and gets to the core of his being.

I also have to commend Matt Milla's colours.

The scene at the jail cell when Killgrave orders Melissa to love the guard to death puzzled me. Clearly this is a woman with whom the guard is creepily infatuated. So how would Melissa interpret such an oddly-worded order? Not the way it was depicted here. I thought that Killgrave would stand by and watch as she removed the guard's protective gear and all his dreams came true. And then as their excitement peaked, she would kill him. Instead it looks like no sex happened and she somehow dug her way through his protective gear and into his chest cavity. I don't know how that happened.

The only other problem I have is Soule's choice to tell this entire story in flashback. We know that Matt is going to make it out okay, even though the cliffhanger shows him completely under Killgrave's control. That robs the entire story of some impact.

I'm okay with that, by the way, even though he's always been able to resist Killgrave's influence in the past. Killgrave has obviously boosted his power enormously, so much so that even Matt's hypersenses can no longer secure him a foothold in reality.

I still think the wait for this explanation was too long, and I would rather this story not be dragged out to too many issues. However, this is one of the stronger depictions of Killgrave I've ever read. This isn't a great issue, but it's pretty good.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
The scene at the jail cell when Killgrave orders Melissa to love the guard to death puzzled me. Clearly this is a woman with whom the guard is creepily infatuated. So how would Melissa interpret such an oddly-worded order? Not the way it was depicted here. I thought that Killgrave would stand by and watch as she removed the guard's protective gear and all his dreams came true. And then as their excitement peaked, she would kill him. Instead it looks like no sex happened and she somehow dug her way through his protective gear and into his chest cavity. I don't know how that happened.

Yeah, this made no sense to me either. I have no idea what Soule was going for here. Either the scenario you outline or her hugging him to death works with Killgrave’s command. But as shown, I don’t get it. Was she an abuse victim who equates punching with love? Was she secretly a serial killer who wanted men’s hearts? If so, how would Killgrave know either of these things?

Dimetre wrote:
The only other problem I have is Soule's choice to tell this entire story in flashback. We know that Matt is going to make it out okay, even though the cliffhanger shows him completely under Killgrave's control. That robs the entire story of some impact.

It worked in the previous issue, but I totally agree it does detract here and makes the last page less of a wow moment.

Mike Murdock wrote:
It's an exciting story, I just wish there was a bit more for something I only get to read once a month.

Dimetre wrote:
This isn't a great issue, but it's pretty good.

I agree with both of you. I liked it, but it needed more to it. I felt that the story was good, especially the mature, adult problem of Matt having high expectations of himself as Daredevil and not being able to meet them. However, IMHO what actually happened could have been told in about half the panel space (for example, did we really need three pages on Killgrave escaping jail?), so it was not enough content for a full issue. Hopefully there’s more going on in the next one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: