Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #17 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #17?
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #17 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #17 by Soule, Garney and Milla ships February 15th and here is a preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-017

Please use this thread for all discussion!
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this issue already from the preview because it points out how stupid the idea of making Matt's identity public was.
You'll no longer have a private life and Typhoid Mary can show up a night in your bedroom and set fire to your girlfriend.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typhoid Mary always knew Matt's secret identity, so that's a bit of a bad example.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soule used her as a generic colourful DD villain, but the point is that after the public outing everyone could've been a mortal threat to Matt's friends and loved ones.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Soule used her as a generic colourful DD villain, but the point is that after the public outing everyone could've been a mortal threat to Matt's friends and loved ones.

I haven't seen Soule use her as a villain in Daredevil yet. I suspect you may have meant Bendis or Diggle.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story is pretty much the justification for why he returned to his secret identity. Daredevil as a distraction for being a lawyer is fine, but it was addressed in Volume 3. Volume 4 seemed to make up for it - particularly since it works fine for She-Hulk, generally speaking. Likewise, Typhoid Mary would be a bad example since she already knows who Matt is. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely accept the premise in theory, but I'm not sure I fully buy it when it's spelled out. Matt needs both worlds, but he needs them to be separate worlds (I actually think this is an argument against him being a prosecutor to a degree). When Matt is trying to put the genie back in the bottle, I like that the first person he goes to is Doctor Strange (who refuses). It's an obvious shout out to One Moment in Time. Same with Mephisto for One More Day. Still, how it's going to be resolved seems close to what I expected but maybe not quite.

The treat for this issue is the art. I say that in spite of it starting with, ugh, the red Daredevil suit and tie - my eyes, my eyes! Actually, I like it with Matt Milla's colors. It makes it look less real, which helps. The colors with the fire with Matt and Kirsten in shadow are absolutely gorgeous. Good to see the old DD suit (slight quibble, that really should have been planned better so it's revealed on a page turn). Also, that last page looks great.

I'll give it Four Stars. The development of the story is OK, it plods along at a fine pace hitting the beats it needs to hit, but Matt Milla pushes it far above what it would be otherwise.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Sciurid
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to write paragraphs that aren't necessarily related to one another:

I recall being frustrated with the first five issue of Soule's run (4 excepting, which I thought was pretty great). After 15 hit, I reread all of his run in one sitting, and it stood up much better than I remembered.

This issue suffers in the same way, I think. Soule's been writing interesting arcs, but he struggles to make compelling individual issues. I suspect, once all four issues of Purple are out, it'll be much stronger as a whole than individually.

I gave it a 4 because it's a nice bit of exposition setting up a justification for Matt having done something that's probably pretty bad. The colors and textures are great, and the art is good.

I prefer Sudzuka's 2 page spreads to Garney's; I think they flow better, but Garney's solid. Watching Matt go from smiley to concerned to frowny in the opening spread made me smile. The picture of him perched on the Chrysler building being all pensive is great. What I find really impressive is how Garney pulled in some very distinctive things from JRJR and Samnee, made them feel like they were from both of them, and yet made the book a cohesive whole which is his own.

The collage of San Francisco is nice, too. Golden Gate, Alcatraz, and what is probably supposed to be a cable car, but looks a little more like the old light rail that run a few routes. All that's missing is the naked men hanging out in the Castro, though the city Supes might have finally cracked down on that.

As for recouping his investment on his smoldering house; he could probably sell it as-is and turn a profit. He might be able to sell the tiny piece of land alone for a profit. Real estate out here is insane.

Secret Identity shenanigans: Thank you thank you thank you sweet jesus for it not being Mephisto. I had faith that Soule wouldn't go that route, but I'm a pessimist by nature. I understood the Dr. Strange and Mephisto nods, not sure why Silver Surfer and Emma Frost were mentioned. Someone fill me in here?

Random thoughts:

*Why is Daimon Helstrom examining his beer bottle as Matt walks out of the bar? Is it bad beer? Is it good beer? Is he confused by the beer?

*The priest's word bubble is coming out of the wrong spot in the opening panel. Should be in the center, especially since Matt's on the right, given the position of the grille.

*Confession doesn't have to be anonymous. Face to face is even a thing these days.

*Amputee Foggy & Matt with their floating table in the 2-page spread distracts me, and now I can't unsee it.

[/i]
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we've all been waiting a long time for this story to start, and I'm not sure the wait is justified.

This story is going to be the culmination of what began in Bendis' "Out" arc about 15 years ago. It's kind of weird that it took 17 issues and the injury of Blindspot to get these beans spilled.

I did not enjoy seeing that stupid red suit again, and I expected a more unique dilemma for Matt than "he can't practise law." At the end of Waid's arc, he was practising law in San Francisco. Now, according to Soule, he had to stop, and that gets mentioned in a caption. I think we could have had at least a couple of pages showing how complicated it became with Daredevil casting a shadow on everything Matt did as an attorney. That seems like a key plot point to me.

But we all know that Matt has lost his license to practise law before, and he's shown enough resolve to fulfill a sense of purpose in that area before. I don't see how fame would rob him of that. Fame can be a tool, and I think Matt could have figured out a way to use it.

The Typhoid Mary scene confused me, because I know that Mary knows Matt, and Typhoid knows Daredevil. Do both Typhoid and Mary know that Matt is Daredevil? I thought they did. So the choice to use Typhoid wasn't the best for me.

The rest of the issue was okay, but it required me to buy into Matt's train of thought, which I couldn't quite do. Matt didn't choose to be outed by the FBI agent in "Out," and the Society of Serpents had him over a barrel at the end of Volume 3. If he hadn't revealed his identity, Foggy would have died. I can't help but think that after everything he had been through, and after all the decisions he made, Matt is being kind of whiny here. The stakes aren't very high, and it just doesn't seem like he's thinking creatively enough to find a way to be useful as a famous legal expert. So the choice to find a way to magically restore his secret identity doesn't seem earned to me, at least the way this story is being written.

I'm kind of disappointed not because of the quality of this issue, but because we've all been waiting a long time for this, and, to me, it's underwhelming.

2 out of 5.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between “Is this a confession, or a story?”, Typhoid Mary showing up in Matt’s bedroom, “Fortunately, every super-powered person in the world hangs out in New York,” Emma Frost, the Spider-man OMD reference, and Hochberg telling Matt that he’s a private citizen who assaulted five people, I found this issue pretty funny, which was fitting to me considering this arc is explaining how we ended up in the current status quo from Waid’s run. I’m excited to see how everything unfolds.

Francesco wrote:
I like this issue already from the preview because it points out how stupid the idea of making Matt's identity public was.

Agreed. IMHO for the majority of superheroes, it’s really stupid to not have a secret identity. I think it works for Iron Man because as the brains behind the armor, Iron Man’s villains would target Tony Stark anyway, and Tony likes being a rich and famous rockstar CEO, but I also feel he’s the exception that proves the rule. Most superheroes don’t have the financial means and political influence to protect the people they care about 24/7, and most of them have careers and interests that would be negatively impacted by them being publicly known as agents who act outside the law.

Mike Murdock wrote:
The development of the story is OK, it plods along at a fine pace hitting the beats it needs to hit, but Matt Milla pushes it far above what it would be otherwise.

While I enjoyed Matt Milla’s colors (I was really happy to see the halftone effect was back), the real standout of this issue for me was Ron Garney.

Sciurid wrote:
Watching Matt go from smiley to concerned to frowny in the opening spread made me smile. The picture of him perched on the Chrysler building being all pensive is great.

Those were both fantastic standouts in a gorgeous issue. The confessional, the San Francisco spread, Matt’s bedroom, swinging above New York, sitting on the Chrysler Building in the rain…so well drawn. Just outstanding art. I even thought Matt looked nice in the terrible red suit, which is saying a lot.

Sciurid wrote:
I understood the Dr. Strange and Mephisto nods, not sure why Silver Surfer and Emma Frost were mentioned. Someone fill me in here?

In Silver Surfer #4 (2016), we’re shown that Matt gave Alicia Masters a cane that doubles as fighting batons, so it might be a nod to that, and I think Emma was just a joke as she’s one of the few heroes who would value being rich and famous so highly.

Dimetre wrote:
But we all know that Matt has lost his license to practise law before, and he's shown enough resolve to fulfill a sense of purpose in that area before. I don't see how fame would rob him of that. Fame can be a tool, and I think Matt could have figured out a way to use it.

Sure, he could have a syndicated daytime show called The Devil’s Advocate where he solves legal problems like The People’s Court or something. Problem is, would Soule want to write that (based on his vision so far, no), would Marvel editorial let him write it (given all the synergy for the Netflix characters, no), and would it sell well (given all the hate for the red suit here, probably not)?

Dimetre wrote:
The rest of the issue was okay, but it required me to buy into Matt's train of thought, which I couldn't quite do. Matt didn't choose to be outed by the FBI agent in "Out," and the Society of Serpents had him over a barrel at the end of Volume 3. If he hadn't revealed his identity, Foggy would have died. I can't help but think that after everything he had been through, and after all the decisions he made, Matt is being kind of whiny here. The stakes aren't very high, and it just doesn't seem like he's thinking creatively enough to find a way to be useful as a famous legal expert. So the choice to find a way to magically restore his secret identity doesn't seem earned to me, at least the way this story is being written.

I’m sorry you didn’t like this issue. Soule’s subtle and introspective voice for Matt really clicks with me, so it made sense that Matt was so lost without being able to help people as he explained sitting on the Chrysler Building in the rain. That said, I totally get why it’s much harder to buy into this story if you wanted a more explosive cataylst. Waid wrote a bright happy ending for Matt. Soule’s Daredevil is a 180 turn from that, so not only is this transition story tonally jarring, unfortunately it’s not going to please everyone no matter what we learn in the next three issues.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an okay start, considering how long we've had to wait to learn this almighty secret.

I dunno, it kinda feels like Matt believes that he's committed some form of cardinal sin in recovering his secret identity and while the shout-outs to all the forms of memory erasure were funny (and sadly cliched), the personages seen at the end don't seem to warrant such a high level of guilt. I guess it'll depend on how exactly they achieve this goal for Matt.

3 stars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: